fredmiranda.com
Login

  

  Previous versions of SGallant's message #12598640 « D750 Images »

  

SGallant
Offline
Upload & Sell: Off
D750 Images


Ripolini wrote:
SGallant wrote:
Yeah I would say your observations are correct. JPG to JPG the D4 got beat by the D750.


This could depend on different in-camera processing.
My feeling is that D750\'s pictures at 12800 ISO have a more aggressive noise reduction applied. Actually, I prefer D4 images, where I can detect more detail.
BTW, to make a meaningful comparison of noise and amount of detail/acuity at high ISOs, one should look at raw files.
As Thom Hogan stated properly (here): \" ... we’re hearing anecdotal reports about \'improved high ISO capabilities\'. These are due to the changes of processing in the EXPEED4 chip, not the sensor. In other words, Nikon has further tweaked the noise reduction applied to JPEG images from previous iterations. It remains to be seen what that really means. Noise reduction is always a trade off with edge acuity. I don’t know anyone that’s managed to find a way around that. So more noise reduction generally is going to mean edges that are tougher to sharpen. Raw shooters shouldn’t expect any real changes from the D610.\"

So straight up, it\'s not a mean to be some Tom Hogan comparison. All images were shot handheld without a tripod. I would agree that the D750 is bit softer as a result of in camera noise reduction. Certainly not something I would have an issue living with. I also went ahead and pulled both RAW files into Nikon\'s software and with Noise reduction set to default they look just like you see in the JPG. When I turn it off, they both have a comparable amount of noise and sharpness. It may no longer best a D4, but it still is on par and rivals it.



Sep 25, 2014 at 09:11 AM





  Previous versions of SGallant's message #12598640 « D750 Images »