I'm probably going to buy the 645D + 55mm from the local camera chain store here... it will be 853200 yen, or $9095 at today's Yen-Dollar conversion rate. The dollar has been steadily increasing in the past couple of weeks, so it will most likely be even cheaper when I buy it
$9K for a brand new Medium Format camera with back?
And new digital era MF lenses for $1,200?
Can't wait to see files from it - if they are really good, which they probably will be...
this system should have quite an impact on the way MF and 35MM FF manufacturers set their prices. I'm surprised that this isn't being hailed more - as a milestone event.
As far as it only being sold initially in Japan - big deal. It won't exactly be hard to get.
If it is successful, it will be sold in other markets before long.
Bet this puts downward price pressure on the upcoming 1Ds4 - I don't think that it will debut at $9K as some think...but more likely be around $6-7K. Nikon's successor to the D700, and Sony's next FF offering are going to make things real interesting for sure.
There's going to be a lot of good choices in the 3-9K price range.
Thank you Pentax for being the spoiler (and I mean that positively).
I hope that Pentax does well with this - my 1st camera was a Pentax.
Anon Moss wrote:
I'm surprised that this isn't being hailed more - as a milestone event.
If you were a Pentax DSLR shooter, you wouldn't be surprised. Autofocus improved between the K10D and its successor the K20D; you'd think Pentax would at least mention it in their brochures, but no, we had to find out from early adopters. I could go on, but Pentax simply suck at marketing.
Bet this puts downward price pressure on the upcoming 1Ds4 - I don't think that it will debut at $9K as some think...but more likely be around $6-7K.
I wouldn't be so sure. Canon's 1Ds IV will not be in direct competition with the 645D; they play in completely different leagues. Canon will price their new cam however they feel like. I'd be surprised if they even knew Pentax had released a digital MF camera
the difference was barely noticeable and easily more noticeable between the K20D and the K7. all three are still way behind what my D90 can do.
Herb...
Miserere wrote:
If you were a Pentax DSLR shooter, you wouldn't be surprised. Autofocus improved between the K10D and its successor the K20D; you'd think Pentax would at least mention it in their brochures, but no, we had to find out from early adopters. I could go on, but Pentax simply suck at marketing.
Miserere wrote:
If you were a Pentax DSLR shooter, you wouldn't be surprised. Autofocus improved between the K10D and its successor the K20D; you'd think Pentax would at least mention it in their brochures, but no, we had to find out from early adopters. I could go on, but Pentax simply suck at marketing.
I wouldn't be so sure. Canon's 1Ds IV will not be in direct competition with the 645D; they play in completely different leagues. Canon will price their new cam however they feel like. I'd be surprised if they even knew Pentax had released a digital MF camera
Somehow I think the entire industry is not only aware of the 645D but will also be keenly watching it's market penetration.
Its been 61 months since Pentax announced 645D at Tokyo PIE show, March 2005 as "coming soon". I highly doubt Canikon care about it & its one country launch. I'll bet m4/3 causes both Canikon more grief as its cutting into their point and shoot market. 3 years ago m4/3 didn't exist, now it takes 10% marketshare.
Looks like the 645D grey market buyers may need to learn Japanese as its not certain 645D will have additional languages, see addendum at:
As we're guessing, I'll guess 645D available in Japan market only is designed to clear existing 645 and 6x7 lens inventories in Japan. Leaded Glass stockpiles remaining on the books since Hoya buy out of entire Pentax Corporation in April 2008.
The one new 645D lens is clearly marked made in "VietNam". So if 645D proves successful in Japan by clearing out existing lens stockpiles, then they'll roll 645D out to other countries & make other new lead free 645 lenses which are also redesigned for digital sensors in VietNam.
Pentax routinely makes Japan only Pentax gear. Seeing 645D available only in Japan next couple years would not surprise me. Offering 645D with Japan language only menus would certainly add a new slant to:
Mr.Lindy wrote:
Looks like the 645D grey market buyers may need to learn Japanese as its not certain 645D will have additional languages
It's very likely that the 645D has at least English as an additional language, since there are many English speakers here. Also, see this quote:
dng88@Luminous Landscape Forums wrote:
The camera body is in English. Someone in Hong Kong has been up there and looked at the menu and found that it has an option that it can be tailored to Traditional Chinese (the Taiwan / Hong Kong Chinese not the mainland Chinese). There are picture of the menu in this other language. I would be shocked that the camera cannot be had menu in English now.
It's pretty normal for a medium format camera to have that kind of mirror lock-up.
Despite my initial intrigue, I was made to realize how much cheaper the used MF stuff is getting nowadays. I'd much rather have a used Contax 645 with a used P30 or something for the same price. Plus then you can still use film, and get the awesome Zeiss lenses.
And I'd be really surprised if any working professional planning on getting a 1Ds4 would get this instead, even at the same price point.
I kind of wonder who this camera is marketed towards -- young studio shooters? Wealthy amateurs?
;-) the 645N/NII have it too. And the Leica R8/R9 have a similar switch. Really convenient, when compared to the digitally hidden ones Canon makes, and the previous custom function buttons hidden inside the door of the EOS-1 series.
The Pentax/Leica method is smooth as silk. I wish my job had a manual "S.Up" button.
Whether the "S." is "shut" or "salary" depends on the day...
DocsPics wrote:
Anyone know what the "M.Up" dial on the right is for? Can't imagine you would dial a mirror lock-up.
cgiff wrote:
I kind of wonder who this camera is marketed towards -- young studio shooters? Wealthy amateurs?
According to this DeJiKaMe Watch page announcing the release of the 645D, the target audience is what in Japan is referred to as the "high amateur" (ハイアマチュア) -- particularly landscape shooters. Someone we would describe in English as a "serious amateur." Canon, for example, in this news release for the 5D Mark II, indicates that the camera is intended for "high amateurs."
The DeJiKaMe Watch article also says that production will start at a rate of 500 units per month.
[Edit: Changed "DiJiKaMe" to "DeJiKaMe", as per RazorTM's correction]
Owner's manual, all software (in and out of camera), even the box (oh no!) will be written only in Japanese? Well that would certainly make it an "alt camera" and a bit of a challenge for us English only types to use. (I assume I would at least recognize the shutter button)
genji wrote:
According to this DeJiKaMe Watch page announcing the release of the 645D, the target audience is what in Japan is referred to as the "high amateur" (ハイアマチュア)
So how do you say low amateur in Japanese? Is it the same as poor amateur? Cos that must be what I am
I read that to mean that they are not happy about the focal length range at the low end - and not the quality of the lenses. So, the FA 33-55mm or FA 35mm is not wide enough and not that it is an inferior optic. Plenty of these two lenses have been used by high end 35mm DSLR shooters and the ZOERK adapters for panorama type photograph with no complaints about the quality of these lenses.
Tariq Gibran wrote:
Interesting in the linked interview that Pentax states they are not happy with the performance of their previous wides on the 645D and say that they will be coming out with a new wide angle. Don't think I would be buying that 35 FA just yet:
"All the legacy lenses of the Pentax AF system can be used as-is on the 645D. Most of them are already at the right level quality wise but we are frankly speaking not totally happy about the wide end.
Therefore we plan to release soon a new wide high-end lens that will complement our existing wide lineup and be able to fully realize the image quality potential of the sensor for wide applications. It is also going to restore some of the wide capability that we have lost because of the smaller size of the sensor used in the 645D compared to 645 film."...Show more →
joeisayo wrote:
Also about time a MF maker finally put a high quality LCD on the back of their cameras. It was embarrassing having a $300 P&S with a better LCD than a camera that cost as much as an entry level BMW.
Sinar already used one of these screens on the e65LV two years ago. This aint a first