Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2009 · EF 100-400mm - chances of getting a good copy?

websurfer
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · EF 100-400mm - chances of getting a good copy?

A lot of owners in here have shown us, how well this splendid zoom can perform in the right hands. At the same time you can read some negative user experiences with this zoom and reports / rumours about soft copies turn up now and then.
Therefore I think it would be interesting to see, what OWNERS and earlier OWNERS of this lens say about chances of getting a good copy of the EF 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L USM? If you do not have or have never had this zoom, then please do no vote.

Feb 18, 2009 at 02:10 PM
Jo Dilbeck
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · EF 100-400mm - chances of getting a good copy?

I just got a brand new one from B&H, and it's silly sharp, wide open and stopped down.

Feb 18, 2009 at 02:14 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · EF 100-400mm - chances of getting a good copy?

Let me see....I am on my 5th copy which I consider to be very good and a keeper.
Out of 4 previous copies, one had a fairly good IQ, two were poor and one was mechanically defective, didn't even bother testing that one optically.

All in all, I think the chances of getting a very good to exceptional copy, optically and otherwise, is about 60%. Ten percent are probably duds and 30% are mediocre, or average, if you will.

Feb 18, 2009 at 02:42 PM
M Vers
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · EF 100-400mm - chances of getting a good copy?

This topic has been beaten to death lately and the consensus seems to be: buy the lens--if you are not happy with it, return or exchange it. Every lens has a probability of being a poor copy you just need to do what everyone else does and go for it...if you luck out, great--if not either give up or try, try again.

Feb 18, 2009 at 02:49 PM
n0b0
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · EF 100-400mm - chances of getting a good copy?

PetKal wrote:
Let me see....I am on my 5th copy which I consider to be very good and a keeper.
Out of 4 previous copies, one had a fairly good IQ, two were poor and one was mechanically defective, didn't even bother testing that one optically.

All in all, I think the chances of getting a very good to exceptional copy, optically and otherwise, is about 60%. Ten percent are probably duds and 30% are mediocre, or average, if you will.

What happened to the "fairly good IQ" one mate? And would you consider the 100-400L copy that Luminous Landscape used in their comparison to the 400mm 5.6L to be good?

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/lenses/forgotten-400.shtml

Feb 18, 2009 at 02:50 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · EF 100-400mm - chances of getting a good copy?

I voted 0 percent. canons quality control really sucks, I mean the last FOUR i've ordered don't fit on my d90!

Feb 18, 2009 at 02:54 PM
jamesf99
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · EF 100-400mm - chances of getting a good copy?

BenV wrote:
I voted 0 percent. canons quality control really sucks, I mean the last FOUR i've ordered don't fit on my d90!

I've wondered for many months. Why are you here? you're a Nikon guy, but you spend more time in the Canon forums adding, what is it again? Oh yeah...Nothing

Don't you have some place else to be?

Feb 18, 2009 at 02:58 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · EF 100-400mm - chances of getting a good copy?

n0b0 wrote:
What happened to the "fairly good IQ" one mate? And would you consider the 100-400L copy that Luminous Landscape used in their comparison to the 400mm 5.6L to be good?

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/lenses/forgotten-400.shtml

The fairly good one I sold to a Canadian member when I decided that the 400 f/5.6 was sharper and really all I needed. Alas, I've regretted that sale shortly thereafter, so I went looking for a replacement. That process has finally brought me to the No.5 which is fine.

As far as the LL lens comparison article is concerned, I read it a very long time ago, can't remember much about it. I suppose all tests relate only to the specific copies tested, that's why it is hard to talk in general terms about these issues.
Moreover, I don't find his image presentation lends itself to easy scrutiny.

Feb 18, 2009 at 03:03 PM
n0b0
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · EF 100-400mm - chances of getting a good copy?

PetKal wrote:
As far as the LL lens comparison article is concerned, I read it a very long time ago, can't remember much about it. I suppose all tests relate only to the specific copies tested, that's why it is hard to talk in general terms about these issues.
Moreover, I don't find his image presentation lends itself to easy scrutiny.

The link is there if you wanna refresh your memory.

I'm only asking so I have a general idea of what IQ to expect from this lens wide open. I don't wanna put my expectation too high and later be disappointed.

Feb 18, 2009 at 03:30 PM
Alistair Watson
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · EF 100-400mm - chances of getting a good copy?

I had 2 copies of this lens and both did benefit from a calibration by Canon's service centre. Results post calibration I found excellent.

Feb 18, 2009 at 03:34 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · EF 100-400mm - chances of getting a good copy?

n0b0 wrote:
The link is there if you wanna refresh your memory.

OK, the first reaction is he's got a dud 100-400. The difference between those two lenses should not be that big, in fact it should be imperceptible in his presentation type/detail. What was the problem with his lens ? Focus calibration drift, element out of positioning tolerance, glass itself defective.......god knows.

Feb 18, 2009 at 03:38 PM
M Vers
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · EF 100-400mm - chances of getting a good copy?

n0b0 wrote:
I'm only asking so I have a general idea of what IQ to expect from this lens wide open. I don't wanna put my expectation too high and later be disappointed.

It appears to me that the lens (or QC?) has improved over the years, at least this is how it seems with all of the positive comments in contrast to all the negative press it received in the past. FWIW, judging from the comparison on LL it looks to me as if they may have had one of the softer copies of the time (assuming it was a >2003 model). Of course its hard to tell since I cannot recreate the test with my copy, but the 100-400 I own produces very sharp images which are as good and in some cases better than samples I have seen from the 400/5.6 (of course there are many variables to consider).

Feb 18, 2009 at 03:40 PM
tanglefoot47
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · EF 100-400mm - chances of getting a good copy?

BenV wrote:

Well Ben maybe it's not the lens but your body maybe you should buy the D300 I hear it works great on it, more pro like

Feb 18, 2009 at 04:05 PM
tanglefoot47
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · EF 100-400mm - chances of getting a good copy?

I can't remember how many copies of thi lens I have owned (yes I know) but the last few had newer date codes of UV or UW and they seem to be a lot better than the older lenses. I have also had friends buy the new UW date codes and all have been great but that doesn't mean it can't happen because it will. But I think Canon has done somethign right in production of this lens or the camera's are getting better

Feb 18, 2009 at 04:08 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · EF 100-400mm - chances of getting a good copy?

jamesf99 wrote:
I've wondered for many months. Why are you here? you're a Nikon guy, but you spend more time in the Canon forums adding, what is it again? Oh yeah...Nothing

aww someone has their panties in a bunch now don't they? This forum is for people who want to chat and have fun, if you can't take a simple joke, why are you here again?

Feb 18, 2009 at 04:13 PM
n0b0
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · EF 100-400mm - chances of getting a good copy?

Thanks for the info guys. Sorry I kinda hijacked this thread a bit but I think it's important to know what is considered as a "good copy", a sort of benchmark.

Feb 18, 2009 at 04:13 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · EF 100-400mm - chances of getting a good copy?

jamesf99 wrote:

and just fyi, Im not a Nikon guy, I shoot with what I feel will get me the best result, for the past 2 years I've used Canon digital, previously before that I used an AE-1. Up until recently I decided to give Nikon a try. I've owned about 9 pieces of Canon glass and 3 bodies total, I believe that qualifies me to post in the Canon. If you dont want to read what I have to say, dont. Use the ignore button and do us both a favor, thanks.

Feb 18, 2009 at 04:19 PM
jerrykur
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · EF 100-400mm - chances of getting a good copy?

BenV wrote:
aww someone has their panties in a bunch now don't they? This forum is for people who want to chat and have fun, if you can't take a simple joke, why are you here again?

I think you want dpreview.com

Feb 18, 2009 at 04:21 PM
maverick666
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · EF 100-400mm - chances of getting a good copy?

dpreview ? same thing...Nikon guys trolling Canon forums not to mention POTN.

Feb 18, 2009 at 04:24 PM
Cinstance
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · EF 100-400mm - chances of getting a good copy?

The rant regarding bad copies is way over-blown. The lens' construction is complicated, thus it could drift out of specifications more easily than other simplerly constructed lens. But if you buy a new copy, I would say the chance you get a good copy is close to 100%. I mean even if you get a bad copy, you always have the option to make an exchange or send it to Canon for recalibration. So the chance is close to 100% buying new. I got mine new about 2 and half a year ago and it seemed sharp enough based on my expectation. I have never got a Canon lens that is a lemmon when it is new.

Feb 18, 2009 at 06:34 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password