Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2008 · 5D vs 50D which one to buy?

george malamis
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · 5D vs 50D which one to buy?

For what its worth, in my experience, servo performance on the 5D is much better than the 40D.

Nov 11, 2008 at 04:38 PM
Dneufarth
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · 5D vs 50D which one to buy?

Gochugogi wrote:
I have both a 5D and 50D. I've owned the 5D for over 3 years whereas the 50D is a new toy (6 weeks). In most ways the cameras are almost the same: build quality, feel in the hand, control location, etc. I really prefer the LCD and menu system of the 50D and actually wish the 5D had a popup for causal fill flash. Don't find much use for LV. However, the VF of the 5D is so much better and easier to compose with. The 50D VF is among the best for a crop camera but it's still
...Show more

Took the words right out of my mouth. I also have both cameras, and also suggest the 5D for your situation. Good Luck! Derek

Nov 11, 2008 at 04:57 PM
Jim Schemel
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · 5D vs 50D which one to buy?

And, yes, from ISO 800 to 3200, the 5D beats the 50D senseless in terms of noise control.

I really appreciate everyones comments so far it is very helpful information and is helping me to make my decision
-Jim

Edited on Nov 11, 2008 at 05:00 PM · View previous versions

Nov 11, 2008 at 04:57 PM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · 5D vs 50D which one to buy?

5D is priced to sell too.

Nov 11, 2008 at 04:58 PM
Miles42
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · 5D vs 50D which one to buy?

I would lean towards the 5D my self. I like the idea of the FF

Nov 11, 2008 at 05:28 PM
David Tognazzi
• •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · 5D vs 50D which one to buy?

5D, all the way. Mine is in the shop right now getting cheaned / tuned up. Gonna start using it as my main camera. The 50D IQ is no where near as good as the 5D. Also, as a bonus, lenses are not as stressed with the 5D and seem to look sharper. (less dense sensor, probably?)

Nov 11, 2008 at 07:06 PM
garyvot
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · 5D vs 50D which one to buy?

Agree with all of this. I picked up a 50D over the weekend but it will be going back to the retailer. The 5D, despite being a bit slow, remains a killer capture device (I still own two).

Nov 12, 2008 at 12:46 AM
Hersch
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · 5D vs 50D which one to buy?

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/706780
Thought this might be of interest. Be sure to check out her web site.

Grant

Nov 12, 2008 at 01:26 AM
Brit-007
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · 5D vs 50D which one to buy?

I have both but considering your choice of shooting, without question the 5D.

Nov 12, 2008 at 07:19 PM
Jimbobp
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · 5D vs 50D which one to buy?

I have the 5D and the 50D with a 5DMKII on order (also a 1DMKII laying around somewhere). When the 5DMKII one of them has to go. Take your pic.

Nov 14, 2008 at 08:30 PM
Ty Holland
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · 5D vs 50D which one to buy?

+ 1 on the Canon 5D we use two of them for events. The current pricing is great.

http://www.canogacamera.com/detail.aspx?ID=23901

Ty

www.tyholland.com

Nov 14, 2008 at 10:15 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · 5D vs 50D which one to buy?

Jim Schemel wrote:
Type of shooting that i do is landscapes,portrait and weddings(occasionally),also sports (occasionally),and a lot of macro.

For this type of shooting, the 5D will be really nice.

Nov 15, 2008 at 02:19 AM
ShaneEngelking
• • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · 5D vs 50D which one to buy?

orangefirefish wrote:
What? If the 5D had 1d3 type AF then nobody would be complaining about the 5D2's "crippled AF." It is by far different from the 1d3, with the 1d3 being remarkably better. Also, the frame rate is much too low for sports, even sports where there isn't that much action. You can get lucky and snap the right frame, but it really takes either dumb luck or godly skill.

I would say the shutter lag cripples it for sports more than the framerate or the AF, though I have had reasonable luck with it. The AF is accurate in center point and quick enough, just have to be REALLY good at anticipating/timing your shots. And I admit everytime I shoot sports with it i wish I had a Mark3. But for mostly everything else, it is a remarkable camera and my favorite.

Nov 18, 2008 at 08:40 AM
Carolyn1250
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · 5D vs 50D which one to buy?

I had a 10D, then 20D, then upgrated to the 5D. The 5D is by far my favorite camera of all time. I love the full frame for what I shoot, so probably wouldn't go back to a crop camera (although I kept the 20D for a backup). I guess my main kind of shooting is travel, people and pets and there is just a simple IQ beauty to the 5D files that I just love.

I will say though that the 5D has made me up the ante a bit on Photoshop as RAW files right out of the camera are excellent starting points, but do need some time in the "digital darkroom" ... it really isn't a glorified point and shoot. That said, it's been a pleasure to learn and grow into. The only thing I'd upgrade to at this point is probably the 5D Mark II. But if you want files fast and right out of the camera, I'm not so sure the 5D would be your camera.

I do think the whole line though, 20D-50D are excellent cameras in their own right too, I'm just more of an artsy 5D shooter.

Enjoy whichever you end up purchasing.

Carolyn

Nov 18, 2008 at 08:46 AM
dgenx24
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · 5D vs 50D which one to buy?

i barely use my 40D over 5D..even with the viewfinder full of dust..
I'll probably buy 5D II and have 5D as back up...
can't wait...

Nov 18, 2008 at 11:35 AM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.