Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2008 · Trigger 580EX II with flash?

mikeysbistro

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Trigger 580EX II with flash?

Can the 580EX II be triggered by a flash? For example, the onboard flash of a 350D XT.

Jan 06, 2008 at 07:01 PM
RickT54
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Trigger 580EX II with flash?

Nope.

Jan 06, 2008 at 09:53 PM
DannWunderlich
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Trigger 580EX II with flash?

that would be too easy buddy

haha

Jan 08, 2008 at 06:55 PM
cgardner
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Trigger 580EX II with flash?

The reason you can't is because 580exII does not have a conventional slave cell. Just adding simple optical slave doesn't work either because the pre-flash the on-board flash would trigger it.

A cheap radio trigger is the least expensive way to move it off camera, but that just creates harsh unfilled shadows. A better investment in the long-term is buy a second Canon flash (430ex or 580exII) and use the Canon wireless system in a key / fill arrangement.

See http://super.nova.org/DPR/Canon/MultiCanon/ and you will see why I suggest that approach.

Chuck

Edited on Jan 08, 2008 at 10:29 PM

Jan 08, 2008 at 10:29 PM
p150
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Trigger 580EX II with flash?

Search "Wein Peanut" on the B&H site, they make a "digital" version of the slave cell that is supposed to ignore the pre-flash. I can't vouch for how well it works, but it's cheaper than a new 580exII by about $400.

Oh heck, why don't I just give you the link to make life easier:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/263022-REG/Wein_W940001D_PN_Peanut_Slave_.html

Also, I agree with Chuck that the better solution would be a new flash so you can take advantage of ETTL, but I know money's always an issue for me!

Jan 09, 2008 at 12:57 AM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Trigger 580EX II with flash?

I own a Wein Peanut and vouch that it doesn't work with Canon EX flashes. To recap, Wein Peanut plus Canon EX flash equals darkness, unlimited quantities of dark. Careful testing proved the Wein is very effective with my Profoto packs. Check Strobist for the sad Wein/Canon situation

Edited on Jan 09, 2008 at 01:41 AM

Jan 09, 2008 at 01:40 AM
p150
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Trigger 580EX II with flash?

rico wrote:
I own a Wein Peanut and vouch that it doesn't work with Canon EX flashes. To recap, Wein Peanut plus Canon EX flash equals darkness, unlimited quantities of dark. Careful testing proved the Wein is very effective with my Profoto packs. Check Strobist for the sad Wein/Canon situation

I would like to know for sure if you have the digital version of the peanut. I'm not trying to argue with your experience, I just want to know for certain that that is what you were dealing with so that I and others can make better informed choices if we get the urge to try a similar setup.

Note: I accidentally posted this same comment using my wife's username, then deleted it. Just in case anyone saw it and got confused.

Jan 09, 2008 at 07:44 PM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Trigger 580EX II with flash?

I have the analog Wein, although pre-flash is not the problem per se. My 550EX was operating with pre-flash disabled, and my Contax flashes don't emit pre-flash. Perhaps Wein improved the electrical signalling for their digital model but, as the price is markedly higher, I would simply go PW.

Edited on Jan 09, 2008 at 11:18 PM

Jan 09, 2008 at 11:17 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.