fredmiranda.com
Login

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
  

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

1              3       4       end
  

Archive 2007 · One Light Studio??

  
 
Sid Ceaser
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · One Light Studio??


I never get tired of looking at Simon's images.

Thanks for always being willing to share.

I try to limit myself to one light, mainly because I like working simple and I love to try to get a luminescent look with very little.

Rebecca 3 B&W


Elise 2 B&W


Looking Down


Currently I use a simple clamshell setup; a medium softbox turned horizontal above, and a silver reflector on bottom to fill in under the chin and eyes. Works like a charm, and I really love the look.



Jan 06, 2008 at 09:14 PM
artillusions
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · One Light Studio??


Simon, couple of questions (if you don't mind) What settings do you normally shoat (ie. f-stop, iso,sync speed) And second, you have tack sharp images on here. What is you post process for the web?

Anyone else shooting 1 light? Heck lets see your images no matter what 1,2,5 lights whatever you find works good. There's not many threads with images and explations of what photographers are doing to produce them.



Jan 07, 2008 at 11:19 AM
artillusions
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · One Light Studio??


my try







Jan 08, 2008 at 11:14 AM
shatterkiss
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #4 · One Light Studio??


That's a lovely portrait! Manages to have a vintage feel but thoroughly modern quality.

artillusions wrote:
Simon, couple of questions (if you don't mind) What settings do you normally shoat (ie. f-stop, iso,sync speed) And second, you have tack sharp images on here. What is you post process for the web?


I can be guilty of over-sharpening. With studio stuff I shoot exclusively at ISO 100 (when shooting DSLRs), usually shutters from 1/60th to 1/160th (I have pretty steady hands and tend to shoot wider lenses), lighting guiding the f-stop (usually anywhere from f/5.6 to f/16). I think all the images posted were shot with the Nikkor 17-55/2.8 AF-S, which is my go-to lens - it's generally very sharp across the entire range and I don't keep any filters on it, including UV. My lenses are always bare-faced unless I use a polarizer or am in especially inhospitable conditions.

In post, once the image is out of Lightroom and into Photoshop I'll do an unsharp mask (on full-res for printing it's 100%, 1.5 pixel radius, 2 threshold...for web it's 0.5 pixel radius) as the last step before exporting to JPG or TIFF. That's basically it. I try to avoid using noise reduction software or blur effects that would otherwise muddy an image.



Jan 08, 2008 at 12:21 PM
mauri
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #5 · One Light Studio??


Simon

I just can't open the galleries on your site. I even downloaded flash player again but everytime I click on People or Music, I get the following message:

SimpleViewer requires the Flash Player.

It happens both with Safari and Firefox...I'm on macs running OS 10.5.1. It happens on both computers.



Jan 08, 2008 at 12:29 PM
Gavilan
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #6 · One Light Studio??


Great thread. This is perfect me. I generally try to work with exclusively natural light but winter in the northwest doesn't provide much light. I've just started playing with a pair of 580's. With using one on camera as the master. For this shot, which was on location in her home, I turned off the on camera flash and just tried to create a rim lighting effect to accentuate her belly. The 580's are great as I do everything on location. I just ordered a third flash and some reflectors, and am excited about the extra potential.

Here's the link:
http://www.aaronbarnaphotography.com/p417166083/?photo=911793625

Thanks for any feedback,
Aaron



Jan 08, 2008 at 12:45 PM
shatterkiss
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #7 · One Light Studio??


mauri wrote:
Simon

I just can't open the galleries on your site. I even downloaded flash player again but everytime I click on People or Music, I get the following message:

SimpleViewer requires the Flash Player.

It happens both with Safari and Firefox...I'm on macs running OS 10.5.1. It happens on both computers.


Thanks Mauri...it's a known issue with SimpleViewer's Flash detection scripting, and is the final nail in the coffin of me maintaining a portfolio site on my own: I'm expecting to migrate to ClickBooq in the next month, once I get clear of a couple of big client jobs. I'd rather spend my time shooting and working for clients and not playing webmaster.

I keep casual portfolios at these links as well:

http://www.modelmayhem.com/member.php?id=24278
http://www.flickr.com/photos/shatterkiss/



Jan 08, 2008 at 01:24 PM
artillusions
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #8 · One Light Studio??


Thanks for the comment Simon. From looking at your work, that means something.

Aaron, your enviromental portraits are pretty good. Nice use of depth of field.

Anyone else want to share their images and process of getting them?!?



Jan 08, 2008 at 01:26 PM
artillusions
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #9 · One Light Studio??


Bump


Jan 09, 2008 at 10:06 AM
krieves
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #10 · One Light Studio??


Here is one of my favorite one light shots. Just a large (30x60) softbox on an AB800.




Jan 09, 2008 at 10:13 AM
mauri
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #11 · One Light Studio??


Thanks. I'll take a look


shatterkiss wrote:
Thanks Mauri...it's a known issue with SimpleViewer's Flash detection scripting, and is the final nail in the coffin of me maintaining a portfolio site on my own: I'm expecting to migrate to ClickBooq in the next month, once I get clear of a couple of big client jobs. I'd rather spend my time shooting and working for clients and not playing webmaster.

I keep casual portfolios at these links as well:

http://www.modelmayhem.com/member.php?id=24278
http://www.flickr.com/photos/shatterkiss/




Jan 09, 2008 at 10:17 AM
Belinda Porter
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #12 · One Light Studio??


wow shatterkiss that is nice work and simple what lighting are you using continous strobe but I like the key of SIMPLICITY


Jan 09, 2008 at 10:27 AM
Belinda Porter
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #13 · One Light Studio??


how do you upload a photo



Jan 09, 2008 at 10:37 AM
artillusions
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #14 · One Light Studio??


When you post a reply, at the bottom of the box you type in is a button "browse" that will look for image on your computer. You have to make sure it's in the pixel requirements. hope this helps you get started


Jan 09, 2008 at 10:43 AM
artillusions
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #15 · One Light Studio??


Nice image Krieves. Do you normally shoot 1 light?
I find that I want to add a hairlight here,a background there, then its just add a light everywhere! Haha
Everyone throw in an image lets see if it sticks! 1,2,3,5 lights who cares!?! Lets see em!



Jan 09, 2008 at 10:48 AM
Belinda Porter
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #16 · One Light Studio??


I dont have a browse button on my quick reply box tab..



Jan 09, 2008 at 11:09 AM
artillusions
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #17 · One Light Studio??


I'm sorry. I don't know then. You can always use photobucket, just upload to them and then paste link on here.


Jan 09, 2008 at 12:13 PM
Belinda Porter
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #18 · One Light Studio??


Thank you forgot about that ... I tried it wont let me


Jan 09, 2008 at 12:16 PM
Wingspar
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #19 · One Light Studio??


Don’t have any pretty girls to shoot, so you’re stuck with a pretty flower for my one light setup. I posted this in the last One Light Thread also. This is one WL X1600 to right of camera with a medium softbox, and a black velour background.

http://www.pbase.com/wingspar/image/41204323.jpg



Jan 09, 2008 at 12:55 PM
DigitalGem
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #20 · One Light Studio??


Shot with AB400 (1/4 power) into a white umbrella (reflective), camera left. White reflector disc camera right.

Miranda




Jan 09, 2008 at 01:02 PM
1              3       4       end




FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

1              3       4       end
    
 

Welcome back
Log in to your account