WA Rules · Current entries

FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2007 · # 271 Pins 'n Needles

Strad
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · # 271 Pins 'n Needles

This is a closeup of my daughter, Csilla's, needle magnet. When she sews, she drops her needles all over the floor and then picks them up with this magnet. Thank God for that, or we'd all have sore feet!

I'm going to post an alternate version below. Csilla helped hold the light for the second one so she has an emotional attachment to it. We disagree as to which one is artistically better. I'll leave the decision up to you all.

Edited by Strad on Nov 04, 2007 at 10:10 AM GMT (Reason: Removed dust mote)

Edited by Strad on Nov 04, 2007 at 10:17 AM GMT (Reason: Slight color adjustment)

Edited by Strad on Nov 04, 2007 at 10:39 AM GMT (Reason: Oops! Forgot the WA number!)

Edited by Strad on Nov 05, 2007 at 12:05 AM GMT (Reason: Tiny Tweak)

Nov 04, 2007 at 12:29 PM
Strad
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · # 271 Pins 'n Needles

Here's version Number 2.

Nov 04, 2007 at 12:30 PM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · # 271 Pins 'n Needles

Hi Endre,

This is a great take on the theme. I like the first one better with a closer view. I like the lighting a little better on this one as well. There is one small sensor dust spot that you might want to clone out, however, it is just below the lower bulb on the double green pin on the middle left. Overall, this is a creative and well executed shot. Great work.

Nov 04, 2007 at 12:44 PM
Beverly Guhl
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · # 271 Pins 'n Needles

ENDRE! I love your entry. So colorful and dynamic. I like both, but the first one works best for me; just love the composition and all the roundness of the balls. Wonderfully done, as usual. All the best, bev

Nov 04, 2007 at 01:03 PM
Strad
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · # 271 Pins 'n Needles

Thanks so much, Steve. I appreciate all your kind comments and the help with the dust splotch. Wow - you've got SHARP eyes. I thought I had gotten all the dust out. I even found another one that you missed, though. Thanks, again!

All the best,

endre

Steve Spencer wrote:
Hi Endre,

This is a great take on the theme. I like the first one better with a closer view. I like the lighting a little better on this one as well. There is one small sensor dust spot that you might want to clone out, however, it is just below the lower bulb on the double green pin on the middle left. Overall, this is a creative and well executed shot. Great work.

Nov 04, 2007 at 01:13 PM
Strad
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · # 271 Pins 'n Needles

Thanks so much BEV, my dear friend! So gald you like it. I usually defer to Csilla's taste, but this time I think she has an investment in the second one so, thanks for hte help. It's always nice to have help in putting teenageres in their proper place.

Fond regards,

Endre

Beverly Guhl wrote:
ENDRE! I love your entry. So colorful and dynamic. I like both, but the first one works best for me; just love the composition and all the roundness of the balls. Wonderfully done, as usual. All the best, bev

Nov 04, 2007 at 01:20 PM
nlamendo
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · # 271 Pins 'n Needles

Hello Endre,
Both are great shots, but I really like the background on the first one. The detail is wonderful and the colors beautiul., and I like the way the pins are arranged. This is a great take on the weekly assignment. Each week your entries are inspiring. Well done.
-Nick

Nov 04, 2007 at 01:37 PM
Strad
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · # 271 Pins 'n Needles

Thanks so much, Nick, my friend! You comments re so kind! Much appreciated!

Fond regards,

Endre

nlamendo wrote:
Hello Endre,
Both are great shots, but I really like the background on the first one. The detail is wonderful and the colors beautiul., and I like the way the pins are arranged. This is a great take on the weekly assignment. Each week your entries are inspiring. Well done.
-Nick

Nov 04, 2007 at 01:41 PM
suse
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · # 271 Pins 'n Needles

Hi Strad

Typing this with one hand - my elbow is still in a sling. I prefer the composition on the first one, but the dof troubles me a little. I prefer the clarity on the second....but think the first one has more impact because of the closer view.

I wonder what the second one would like like if you cropped of the space at the sides, and made that a closer view, maybe more square... Just a thought. It's a *great* take on the theme.

Nov 04, 2007 at 01:57 PM
Strad
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · # 271 Pins 'n Needles

Thanks for the comment, Sus, my dear friend! I'm so glad you like it. I'm sorry to hear you are still "all tied up" so I particularly appreciate you making the effort to comment. The DOF on the first one was as far as I could push it - f 22 - with my extender tube on my 70 - 200 lens. I don't have any macro lenses but, as you well know, wide DOF is hard to achieve on any macro shot. I tried your suggestion on the crop. See what you think. I still like the 1st one better, myself.

Fond regards,

Endre

suse wrote:
Hi Strad

Typing this with one hand - my elbow is still in a sling. I prefer the composition on the first one, but the dof troubles me a little. I prefer the clarity on the second....but think the first one has more impact because of the closer view.

I wonder what the second one would like like if you cropped of the space at the sides, and made that a closer view, maybe more square... Just a thought. It's a *great* take on the theme.

Edited by Strad on Nov 04, 2007 at 11:12 PM GMT

Nov 04, 2007 at 02:25 PM
markoner
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · # 271 Pins 'n Needles

Hi Endre. Great idea and execution as usual my friend !

I really like both. Like Suse I prefer the clarity of the second shot.
Not sure what gives this DOF trouble feeling. If you were at f 22 maybe it starts getting some diffraction artefacts or it's just the location of the focal point.
Also I find the lighting a bit harsh, creating distracting burnt highligths (especially on the second one). I think with a softer one you could have improved those already very good images.

Cheers,

Julien

Nov 04, 2007 at 07:18 PM
canandaigua ph
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · # 271 Pins 'n Needles

Well Csilla....your dad just can't be right all the time. I like your version of the scene and here's why: In your favorite (the second image) there are several pins that extend down onto and touch the table. The way you lit the scene also put shadows from the pins onto the table. These visual factors allow the pins to be connected to their environment rather than floating in space on the end of a magnet. This makes the image flow better visually for me. After all, when you drop a pin they don't float around your house waiting for the magnet...they land on the floor!
BRAVO to your dad and you for both images...they're just GREAT!
regards
Peter

Nov 04, 2007 at 07:49 PM
hopes2
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · # 271 Pins 'n Needles

Strad, greetings--

Hey, I tried pins, nails and screws without much in return.
The beaded heads are a great thought and really give the image a "kick".

Hail the Force....Dan.

Nov 04, 2007 at 08:45 PM
Carrol
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · # 271 Pins 'n Needles

I vote for the First photo. (although cropping the second one does improve it for me.)
Great shot, Endre!

~ Carrol

Nov 04, 2007 at 10:00 PM
levartze
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · # 271 Pins 'n Needles

Hi Endre,
Nice shot. I like the 1st one the best. Beautiful colors and background!
Bob

Nov 05, 2007 at 01:28 AM
Philly Rains
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · # 271 Pins 'n Needles

Endre, my dear friend, I hate to go against the beautiful Csilla, but I LOVE the first one. The colors pop, and I like the angle better than in the second. I also agree on the lighting/background. It puts more focus on the pins than the magnet, which I like.

Technically, it's amazing, as always. You keep setting the bar this high and the rest of us might throw in the towel!

Just excellent!

Nov 05, 2007 at 03:27 AM
jban99
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · # 271 Pins 'n Needles

This is a very creative and a beautifully composed picture, Strad!
I also like the clarity of the second one with the greater depth of field, but this one has a more powerful impact on the viewer (myself at least) . It actually just lighted up an idea for a picture after a total lack of inspiration this week…

Nov 05, 2007 at 06:02 PM
ryan busch

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · # 271 Pins 'n Needles

nice colors and lighting. I like how the first one turned out but they are both nice shots.

Nov 05, 2007 at 10:25 PM
ruuskan
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · # 271 Pins 'n Needles

Very imaginative, a fine image (version #1 works better for me)

Nov 06, 2007 at 12:29 PM
Benedictine
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · # 271 Pins 'n Needles

Hi Endre,
You've done it again havn't you! A great image and I also prefer the first for the colours and the closeness of the image, the second seems a little too far away.
Hope all is well with you.

Nov 06, 2007 at 02:24 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password