Deadline: August 20th noon UTC/GMT

WA Rules ยท Current entries

FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2007 · #244: Caged in Traffic

Andrew Welsh
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · #244: Caged in Traffic

Didn't even read what the WA was until today, and fortuitously had some time to get an entry in before the deadline! C&C welcome.

[edit] Updated the image with what my original intent was. Got denser traffic for the pic
"Caged in Traffic"

Edited by Andrew Welsh on Apr 10, 2007 at 08:05 PM GMT

Apr 03, 2007 at 06:49 PM
hhski
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · #244: Caged in Traffic

Makes me want to leave this city. Good shot better if there were no left right blurr .

Apr 04, 2007 at 07:49 AM
Beverly Guhl
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · #244: Caged in Traffic

Clever shot and title! Looks a little dark, but maybe you were going for a darker mood here given the subject and how much everyone hates traffic congestion. I actually like the hand-held blur of the image--gives it a surreal quality...kind of like being trapped in traffic. I like the BW. A touch of color (red tail lights maybe) would have been in interesting touch, too.

Apr 04, 2007 at 09:10 AM
Andrew Welsh
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · #244: Caged in Traffic

Beverly Guhl wrote:
Clever shot and title! Looks a little dark, but maybe you were going for a darker mood here given the subject and how much everyone hates traffic congestion. I actually like the hand-held blur of the image--gives it a surreal quality...kind of like being trapped in traffic. I like the BW. A touch of color (red tail lights maybe) would have been in interesting touch, too.

Thanks Beverly. Can always count on you to provide C&C There is a tiny bit of color in the image but you have to look for it. The yellow line on the right side of the image reveals this. I was shooting at oncoming traffic so no tailights. This was also done during the day (near sunset) so only a few cars had their lights on anyway.

I am undecided about the blur. I think it adds to the surreal effect myself, but I can certainly see the case for no blur... now if there had only been more traffic...

Apr 04, 2007 at 04:35 PM
suse
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · #244: Caged in Traffic

Hi Andy

I really like this shot. I think it's more of an 'art' shot than a lot that get submitted on the WA. I really like the b&w, especially in the tones you've done it in - it kind of emphasizes the concrete feel of the city. Great mood - oh, and I like the blur..city life can feel a bit like that at times....!

Apr 04, 2007 at 05:44 PM
Philly Rains
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · #244: Caged in Traffic

Very good take on the WA, and I like the blur, too. It gives the image real motion.
Great shot!

Apr 04, 2007 at 11:35 PM
Andrew Welsh
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · #244: Caged in Traffic

Thanks all for the comments. Here was the original version:

And an alternate 3rd version:

Apr 10, 2007 at 08:07 PM
Etadam
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · #244: Caged in Traffic

Clever portrait of our dependencies in our cities.

Apr 11, 2007 at 09:15 AM
hhski
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · #244: Caged in Traffic

I liked the feel of your original but this is much better. Great job.

Apr 11, 2007 at 05:42 PM
Andrew Welsh
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · #244: Caged in Traffic

hhski wrote:
I liked the feel of your original but this is much better. Great job.

Thanks! Appreciate the compliment and feedback. For the original shot, it was a bit past peak rush hour, not as much traffic as I would've liked.

Apr 11, 2007 at 06:45 PM

FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password