New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2006 · Best ultra-wide on 5D

mark1958
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Best ultra-wide on 5D

Believe it or not, I think the Tamron 14mm is really very decent on the canon FF DSLRs. The images are sharp. The color and contrast are not as great as the more expensive brands but the distortion is decent as well as corner sharpness. If you are going 21mm, the CZ is in my opinion the best all area super wide. Mark

Apr 15, 2006 at 12:22 PM
mark1958
• • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Best ultra-wide on 5D

Believe it or not, I think the Tamron 14mm is really very decent on the canon FF DSLRs. The images are sharp. The color and contrast are not as great as the more expensive brands but the distortion is decent as well as corner sharpness. If you are going 21mm, the CZ is in my opinion the best all area super wide. Mark

Apr 15, 2006 at 12:22 PM
jfulton
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Best ultra-wide on 5D

I've forgotten about the 'ol Tam 14. Got any pics Mark??

Apr 15, 2006 at 02:35 PM
mark1958
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Best ultra-wide on 5D

I do not have any photos. I did some tests but truthfully that is alittle wider than i normally would shoot

Apr 15, 2006 at 09:52 PM
pdmphoto
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Best ultra-wide on 5D

I had a Tamron 14mm and really liked it. One of the few AF lenses I regret selling sometimes. Here's a FF shot wide open:

http://www.imaginenature.com/sf3.jpg

and one into the sun:

http://www.imaginenature.com/sf_coit1.jpg

The colors and contrast were great on my SLR/c.

Paul

Apr 15, 2006 at 10:22 PM
jfulton
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Best ultra-wide on 5D

Paul, that first is a BEAST of a shot! That's w-i-d-e!!!

Mark, I agree. Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I really like a good, solid 28mm on FF

Apr 16, 2006 at 02:23 PM
suse
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Best ultra-wide on 5D

I'm getting conflicting reports about the Zeiss 15 3.5 clearing the mirror on the 5D, so I need to check. Is this one of the ones that sometimes clears and sometimes doesn't on the 5D?

Anyone got any shots taken with it?

Apr 18, 2006 at 12:49 PM
mcbroomf
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Best ultra-wide on 5D

This was taken with a 1ds2 not the 5d, but of course the FOV is the same.

http://i.pbase.com/v3/63/551663/3/50769355.FERNSPFTRAILOFTEARS.jpg

Apr 18, 2006 at 01:12 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Best ultra-wide on 5D

that actually brings up an interesting point: which canon is the hardest to please, lens-clearance-wise? does the 5D hit the mirror before the 1Ds2? what about the 1Ds?

Apr 18, 2006 at 03:10 PM
rico
• • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Best ultra-wide on 5D

jfulton wrote:
Paul, that first is a BEAST of a shot! That's w-i-d-e!!!

Mark, I agree. Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I really like a good, solid 28mm on FF

It takes a serious UWA lens to make the observation deck of Coit Tower look like the Zócalo! Have to agree that 28mm on FF is my ideal WA. By 21mm, the freak factor goes critical. I really prefer a fisheye at that point, rather than the rectilinear route.

Apr 18, 2006 at 06:46 PM
Kevin Yong
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Best ultra-wide on 5D

I ended up with Paul's 14. Great lens too. Much better than my Tamron 17-35 at 17mm. Not as good as my Sigma 20.

Paul, did you ever test it against a 17-40 or 16-35L ? Anyone else done this comparison ... Mark1958?

Apr 19, 2006 at 06:09 AM
Kit Laughlin
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Best ultra-wide on 5D

Suze: my L15/3,5 (Zeiss lens in Leica mount) clears my 5D mirror fine. AFAIK, the ƒ2,8 version is more demanding in this respect (Guy's would not clear the mirror of the 5D he used to have, I believe).

Some shots with 15 + 5D below. I personally really like the colours from this lens. It has about a 110 degree FOV—so VERY wide. One of my favourite lenses, for sure. This is the only lens that can shoot a ceiling, floor and both walls of a rectangular building; there's one of my studio taken from a monopod, camera and lens up in the corner of the room, up where it meets the ceiling. Very low distortion, too. hth, KL

Apr 20, 2006 at 08:25 AM
Pham Minh Son
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Best ultra-wide on 5D

Kit,
When you have an opportunity you should use the Zeiss Distagon 15mm F3.5. It will give a different looks in terms of colors and saturation due to the differences betweent the Leica-Zeiss 15mm F3.5 Leica mount and the Zeiss Distagon T* 15mm f3.5.

-Son

Apr 20, 2006 at 08:30 AM
Kit Laughlin
• • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Best ultra-wide on 5D

Son,

I'd love to, but I am waiting on a DMR/R9 combo, so the present one can serve both masters. If I get a change, I will. cheers, Kit

Apr 20, 2006 at 08:51 AM
jjlphoto
• • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Best ultra-wide on 5D

Pham Minh Son wrote:
Kit,
When you have an opportunity you should use the Zeiss Distagon 15mm F3.5. It will give a different looks in terms of colors and saturation due to the differences betweent the Leica-Zeiss 15mm F3.5 Leica mount and the Zeiss Distagon T* 15mm f3.5.
-Son

This is due to the fact that Leica specified their own coatings be used on the filters in the built-in turret. Even thought it is a just a plain jane Clear/UV filter, it is a Lecia spec'd coating formula that massages the wavelenghts in a different manner than the Zeiss.

Apr 20, 2006 at 10:28 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Best ultra-wide on 5D

Is anyone in a position to describe the differences between the Zeiss and Leica 15mm lenses, in detail?

Apr 20, 2006 at 02:33 PM
jjlphoto
• • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Best ultra-wide on 5D

The Leica 15/3.5 is rare. Kit bought one of the last mint ones last winter. Chuck Jones saw some mint ones in some stores, but that was a while ago. There are ceretainly more Contax/Zeiss 15/3.5 versions floating around. Emanuele was asking for some shots as well.

In a perfect world, one photographer could do a side by side with both lenses. Kit- anybody offer you the CZ15/3.5 for you to compare with your L15/3.5? All I have now is the L15/2.8.

Apr 20, 2006 at 03:27 PM
Kit Laughlin
• • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Best ultra-wide on 5D

JJL: I would love to do a comparison of these two lenses. I find the colours from this lens remarkable; some the images have what I can only describe as a kind of dream-like quality. To some extent, this might just be a very beautiful flare effect!

If anyone in Australia has the Zeiss 15/3,5 and would like to do a side-by-side comparo (on a Canon FF body with the right adapter) I'm up for it. This lens (the Leica version) is one of my all-time favourites as I have mentioned, and it's one that I will never sell!

Apr 20, 2006 at 08:41 PM
Pham Minh Son
• • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Best ultra-wide on 5D

The 15mm F3.5 whether it is a Leica-Zeiss version or the Zeiss stand alone version is the only super wide angle lens that I have ever encountered that attenuated the CA to the point where it was unnoticeable.

I had the opportunity at one time to use them both, but I did not do a direct comparison between the two versions. However from my experience with these two lens, I noticed that the Zeiss stand alone version was more contrast and has a cooler look while the Leica has a more warmer look to it with lesser contrast but it was still very contrasty.

The biggest difference exist between the two lens is the physical make up of it besides the coating of the lens, which John Luke pointed out the mechanism for it (thanks John as always), but the aperature blade that was buit into these lens. The Leica-Zeiss version in Leica mount has the typical Leica aperature opening and that is the octagonal opening while the Zeiss stand alone version has the unique ninja star opening at the wide opening F-stops. This is what makes the bokeh to be very unique for the Zeiss lens, despite it is a very super wide angle with tremendous depth of field. This is the same reason why the Leica 35mm F1.4 is a very nice lens (Kurt has great experience with this lens) but the typical Leica aperature opening yields a less pleasant bokeh when compare to the Zeiss Distagon T* 35mm F1.4. Thus, based on these evidences you can expect that your comparison will have these characteristics differences: 1) Color 2) Contrast 3) Bokeh

Apr 20, 2006 at 10:05 PM
Pham Minh Son
• • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Best ultra-wide on 5D

The 15mm F3.5 whether it is a Leica-Zeiss version or the Zeiss stand alone version is the only super wide angle lens that I have ever encountered that attenuated the CA to the point where it was unnoticeable.

I had the opportunity at one time to use them both, but I did not do a direct comparison between the two versions. However from my experience with these two lens, I noticed that the Zeiss stand alone version was more contrast and has a cooler look while the Leica has a more warmer look to it with lesser contrast but it was still very contrasty.

The biggest difference exist between the two lens is the physical make up of it besides the coating of the lens, which John Luke pointed out the mechanism for it (thanks John as always), but the aperature blade that was built into these lens. The Leica-Zeiss version in Leica mount has the typical Leica aperature opening and that is the octagonal opening while the Zeiss stand alone version has the unique ninja star opening at the wide opening F-stops. This is what makes the bokeh to be very unique for the Zeiss lens, despite it is a very super wide angle with tremendous depth of field. This is the same reason why the Leica 35mm F1.4 is a very nice lens (Kurt has great experience with this lens) but the typical Leica aperature opening yields a less pleasant bokeh when compare to the Zeiss Distagon T* 35mm F1.4. Thus, based on these evidences you can expect that your comparison will have these characteristics differences: 1) Color 2) Contrast 3) Bokeh

Apr 20, 2006 at 10:18 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.