fredmiranda.com
Login

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
  

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

  

I Upgraded to RF. Lens Upgrade Recommendations?

  
 
EB331
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · I Upgraded to RF. Lens Upgrade Recommendations?


Hi guys,

It's been a long time since frequenting the forum. Possibly 16 years. We were expecting our first child and I upgraded everything with the anticipation. Been using that gear ever since, saying this is good enough. And it was, but wow, the difference.

I have the Canon 6D version 1. Just picked up an R6 version 1.

This upgrade has reivived my love for photography. The love never went away as I go nowhere without my camera, but it's making me want to get out, all the time.

The biggest thing I use my camera for is my kids track meets. I've been using a EF 70-200mm 2.8 L IS USM (which I purchased here) and had no complaints. Track season just started. No meets yet, can't wait to see how this lens performs with the R6.

Do you think an upgrade to a newer model being EF or RF is worth it?

Thanks!

-Ed



Oct 10, 2026 at 09:43 AM
EB331
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · I Upgraded to RF. Lens Upgrade Recommendations?


The other lenses I have:

EF 50mm 1.8
EF 17-40mm f4 L
EF 24-105mm f4 L IS

I use the 24-105 for everything, but sports. So much that I forgot I had the 17-40 until I took inventory the other day.

Same question really. Upgrade cost vs IQ.



Oct 10, 2026 at 10:29 AM
freaklikeme
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · I Upgraded to RF. Lens Upgrade Recommendations?


There's no reason you can't try out the lens ahead of a meet and see if it's enough for you. You have it, so it should be easy to answer the question.

Objectively, the RF lenses will be an improvement in both optical and AF performance. Plus, there are a couple of flavors of the RF 70-200L, one that's easier to pack as it extends (and will also probably be less expensive on the used market since it came first) and the longer, solid body is available in both black and white.

So there are solid improvements that can work out well, but, were I you, I'd take a look at what it's going to cost to upgrade. Selling your EF gear will help, but it'll only bring in a fraction of what you'll spend on the new ones. Do the math and, if you can, check out the new lenses at a retail shop or rent them from a place like Lens Rentals. If the improvements are worth it to you and kids don't have to go hungry to support Dad's hobby, then you can do it from an informed place. No one but you can say if they're worth it to you.



Oct 10, 2026 at 12:56 PM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

rscheffler
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · I Upgraded to RF. Lens Upgrade Recommendations?


EB331 wrote:
Do you think an upgrade to a newer model being EF or RF is worth it?

Thanks!

-Ed


If the 70-200/2.8 IS is the first version, when you use it on the R6 in electronic first curtain shutter or full mechanical shutter, the maximum frame rate will be lower than what the camera is capable of reaching with later version EF lenses (released after around 2010-2012) and RF lenses. The R6's max EFCS/mechanical shutter rate is 12 fps. In e-shutter, there should be less impact on frame rate.

If cost is less of a concern, IMO the main benefit of upgrading to an RF version other than frame rate is size, weight, optical performance and image stabilization capability. From my own experience using the EF 70-200/2.8 versions adapted to the R system compared to all of the RF 70-200 versions, the EF 2.8 lenses are already heavier than the RF versions but the addition of the 1" long EF-RF adapter moves that weight farther away from the camera, resulting in an even heavier feeling combination that puts additional stress on your hand and wrist working to counteract that weight.

If cost is a concern, upgrading to an EF version 2 or 3 will achieve full frame rate capability and some optical and image stabilization improvements over the first version.

Maybe see how things go as the newness of the R6 wears off and you start noticing performance constraints that you wish to address.



Oct 10, 2026 at 01:32 PM
artsupreme
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · I Upgraded to RF. Lens Upgrade Recommendations?


EB331 wrote:
Hi guys,

It's been a long time since frequenting the forum. Possibly 16 years. We were expecting our first child and I upgraded everything with the anticipation. Been using that gear ever since, saying this is good enough. And it was, but wow, the difference.

I have the Canon 6D version 1. Just picked up an R6 version 1.

This upgrade has reivived my love for photography. The love never went away as I go nowhere without my camera, but it's making me want to get out, all the time.

The biggest thing I use my camera for is my kids
...Show more →

It all comes down to budget and how much you want to spend. Considering track and field meets are usually held during daylight hours I would add a longer lens and a couple fast primes:

Budget: EF 100-400II, EF 135 f/2, EF 35 f/1.4 = Approx $2400 used

No budget: RF 100-500 and RF 70-200 f/2.8, or RF 70-200 Z with extenders, and one of the VCM primes like 20, 24, or 35 = Approx $5000 used.

You can still get away with using old EF lenses and get similar results, but it will just be bulkier/heavier and use an extender.



Oct 10, 2026 at 02:11 PM
EB-1
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · I Upgraded to RF. Lens Upgrade Recommendations?


artsupreme wrote:
It all comes down to budget and how much you want to spend. Considering track and field meets are usually held during daylight hours I would add a longer lens and a couple fast primes:

Budget: EF 100-400II, EF 135 f/2, EF 35 f/1.4 = Approx $2400 used

No budget: RF 100-500 and RF 70-200 f/2.8, or RF 70-200 Z with extenders, and one of the VCM primes like 20, 24, or 35 = Approx $5000 used.

You can still get away with using old EF lenses and get similar results, but it will just be bulkier/heavier and use an extender.


I would not use an extender assuming you mean on the 70-200/2.8 IS. That was a disappointing lens, some strangs flares compared to the 70-200/2.8. The IS II was quite better.

EBH



Oct 10, 2026 at 04:58 PM







FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

    
 

Welcome back
Log in to your account