p.1 #1 · Lightroom Denoise - Best work flow for performance?
I have a fairly powerful PC, but ever since the last lightroom update or two, if I denoise an image, it dramatically slows down LR and my PC to the point where I don't want to use it anymore. It becomes extremely tedious. Previously I would denoise an image and then edit to taste. Now I have to denoise after all my edits, and hope it doesn't affect the exposure and color a lot (which it absolutely can). Last two times I used it, it changed my exposure by .2 or .3 and I had to go through a few hundred photos and it was a real chore.
I have googled relentlessly and tried smart previews but it doesn't make a difference. I've tried changing every setting in the performance tab. No dice.
p.1 #3 · Lightroom Denoise - Best work flow for performance?
Man, F that (respectfully) lol . If those specs cant run lightroom smoothly anymore (it used to never have a hiccup), then I don't want to play this game anymore. I quit. I'm taking my toys and going home.
p.1 #5 · Lightroom Denoise - Best work flow for performance?
BigBabyMoses06 wrote:
I have a fairly powerful PC, but ever since the last lightroom update or two, if I denoise an image, it dramatically slows down LR and my PC to the point where I don't want to use it anymore. It becomes extremely tedious. Previously I would denoise an image and then edit to taste. Now I have to denoise after all my edits, and hope it doesn't affect the exposure and color a lot (which it absolutely can). Last two times I used it, it changed my exposure by .2 or .3 and I had to go through a few hundred photos and it was a real chore.
I have googled relentlessly and tried smart previews but it doesn't make a difference. I've tried changing every setting in the performance tab. No dice.
I don't use LR, but if it is using AI for the NR, consider that your 3080 Ti has about 275 TOPS.
A modern GPU like an RTX 5080 has about 1800 TOPS. The CPU and RAM are probably adequate.
I'm seeing about 5 seconds for denoising a 45MP file in PS ACR. That's kinda slow for me, but I don't normally use ACR for RAW files. (DXO takes about 1.3 sec. per file by comparison.) IIRC Adobe did some deal with Apple a few years ago so I'm not sure if that is why Adobe is so slow if you don't.
p.1 #6 · Lightroom Denoise - Best work flow for performance?
RoamingScott wrote:
Compute has changed dramatically in the last 3 years. Intel and AMD are severely behind when it comes to neural processing.
Yes, but the expectation in a workstation like that is for a discrete GPU. It's not so efficient as iGPU/SoC with shared RAM, but sometimes brute force works too.
p.1 #7 · Lightroom Denoise - Best work flow for performance?
This is good advice. Your GPU is the weak point. I have an RX9070XT (TOPS around 1550) which is quite a bit less expensive than a 5080 and it takes 7-8 seconds to denoise an A7rVI file. Another option.
The fastest Apple silicon is faster for sure - up to you if the extra cost is worth a second or 2 to denoise an image.
EB-1 wrote:
I don't use LR, but if it is using AI for the NR, consider that your 3080 Ti has about 275 TOPS.
A modern GPU like an RTX 5080 has about 1800 TOPS. The CPU and RAM are probably adequate.
I'm seeing about 5 seconds for denoising a 45MP file in PS ACR. That's kinda slow for me, but I don't normally use ACR for RAW files. (DXO takes about 1.3 sec. per file by comparison.) IIRC Adobe did some deal with Apple a few years ago so I'm not sure if that is why Adobe is so slow if you don't.
p.1 #8 · Lightroom Denoise - Best work flow for performance?
My issue isn't the speed in which denoise takes. I just clocked it, it now takes 11 seconds, which is pretty slow, but not the end of the world. That is a new-ish experience, because it used to run fine and only take like 5 seconds to denoise an image.
My issue is how after the last few updated, lightroom totally bogs down and perform poorly once an image is denoised and I try to adjust an image that's been denoised.
I guess it's just par for the course, and I have to "pay to play" sadly.