fredmiranda.com
Login

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
  

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

  

My new RRS BH-55 head. Nothing like my old version. Sad I am.

  
 
gchappel
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · My new RRS BH-55 head. Nothing like my old version. Sad I am.


I purchased my original BH-55 late 2004.
My old BH-55 head finally wore out. Yes I abused it- but it kept on ticking.
It would slip a little, no matter how tight I locked it down.
Sadly, RRS no longer has parts for repair.
So I went ahead and bought a new BH-55 from B&H.
Sadly- brand new it is no where near as smooth as my 22+yr old head.
Panning is too tight
Camera motion is "grabby"- not smooth as butter. Yes I know how to use and adjust the head- it just is not as smooth.
Even the arca clamp is different- and more difficult to adjust to camera L brackets.
The adjustment knob works- but is loose and "jiggles"- rather than being precisely machined into place.
I will call rrs in the morning- but plan on returning this to B&H.
Now I am off to find a new head.
I always hope that products will be improved over time- but that is rarely the case anymore.
Sad I am.
gary



Oct 09, 2026 at 07:11 AM
MikeEvangelist
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · My new RRS BH-55 head. Nothing like my old version. Sad I am.


Wow, that is sad to hear. Although their prices have seemed a bit 'out of touch' lately, I assumed that you could still depend on RRS for their quality.

Anxious to hear what they have to say, if anything.

PS
If you're open to another brand, I've been quite happy with the Leofoto ballheads. I've previously owned RRS BH-55, BH-40, BH-30 and BH-25, and now have the similar Leofoto ballheads instead. Currently using their LH-47 as my main head.



Oct 09, 2026 at 07:24 AM
EB-1
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · My new RRS BH-55 head. Nothing like my old version. Sad I am.


That sucks. I also have a very old BH-55. The main part I care about is the panning base, which can handle off-center loads as well if not better than any head of that type I have used. The ball is just adequate. The tension control stuck nearly 20 years ago. I've changed the clamp a couple of times.
I don't use the BH-55 for single images but mostly 500MP to 1+GP multi-row where the 2.5° base increments freely visible are of most importance. Just a slight friction makes moving a degree or a few very smooth/damped.

EBH



Oct 09, 2026 at 03:37 PM
RoamingScott
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · My new RRS BH-55 head. Nothing like my old version. Sad I am.


Just move on to Leofoto like everyone else who is sick of RSS.


Oct 09, 2026 at 03:40 PM
EB-1
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · My new RRS BH-55 head. Nothing like my old version. Sad I am.


It looks like they make an RRS clone, the LH-55. Do the Leophoto Ballheads accept the same interchangeable clamps like RRS? That could be useful if the drag control is smooth.

EBH



Oct 09, 2026 at 03:46 PM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

RoamingScott
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · My new RRS BH-55 head. Nothing like my old version. Sad I am.


EB-1 wrote:
It looks like they make an RRS clone, the LH-55. Do the Leophoto Ballheads accept the same interchangeable clamps like RRS? That could be useful if the drag control is smooth.

EBH


Yep, with a single screw through the middle like the RSS. There's literally no reason to buy RSS any longer.



Oct 09, 2026 at 03:54 PM
EB-1
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · My new RRS BH-55 head. Nothing like my old version. Sad I am.


I'm pretty sure there are reasons to buy RRS, though I prefer other brands. I don't like the ripoff products in general.

EBH



Oct 09, 2026 at 04:29 PM
gchappel
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · My new RRS BH-55 head. Nothing like my old version. Sad I am.


I ordered the LH-55- fingers crossed.
I actually liked the rrs old ball head, and was just hoping to buy a very expensive replacement.
Hopefully I like the LH product as well- I sure like the price better
Thanks
gary



Oct 09, 2026 at 04:55 PM
gregfountain
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · My new RRS BH-55 head. Nothing like my old version. Sad I am.


I have the Leofoto LH-40 on a set of Poseidon sticks and have been very happy with it. I thought for sure I was going to have to replace the ballhead (bought as a set), but it grabs my SL2 with the 24-90 on it with zero issues, and the motion and tensioning is smooth. I think you'll like the LH-55.


Oct 09, 2026 at 05:16 PM
Jeffrey
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · My new RRS BH-55 head. Nothing like my old version. Sad I am.


Like some on this forum, I've been using Really Right Stuff equipment for a very long time. One thing I always believed is that they are a class act American high Precision manufacturer with consistent products and performance. It's really hard for me to believe that you've got their flagship ball head and that it wasn't as great as the earlier ones in every way. It's hard for me to believe that they would let something like that out into the world. But things change and I'm sorry to hear about your experience. It's very likely that if you replace it with another one from RRS it would be just fine. You really need to give them your feedback. I also own and use LeoFoto products, and they are just as good.


Oct 09, 2026 at 05:18 PM







FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

    
 

Welcome back
Log in to your account