fredmiranda.com
Login

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
  

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

  

Sigma 50-120mm f2.8

  
 
fjablo
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Sigma 50-120mm f2.8


Apparently it will be released later this week.

Rumored specs look interesting, esp. weight at 390g and it might have an aperture ring if the images are correct:
https://photorumors.com/2026/10/06/sigma-50-120mm-f2-8-dc-os-contemporary-lens-leaked-online/

Specs as rumored:
- Lens Construction: 18 elements in 13 groups
- Minimum Focusing Distance: 23cm (Wide) – 55cm (Tele)
- Maximum Magnification: 1:3 (Wide) – 1:4.7 (Tele)
- OS: 6.5 stops (wide) / 4.5 stops (tele)
- Autofocus: HLA
- Filter Size:Ø55mm
- Weight: 390g


There have also been rumors about an updated Fujinon 50-140mm with reduced weight, which will likely be announced with the X-T6 in November.



Oct 07, 2026 at 01:29 AM
SpecFoto
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Sigma 50-120mm f2.8


Watched 2 video reviews from Chris at PP and Chris Frost, 2 reviewers who generally tell it like it is. Both mentioned softness in the corners at all F/L's, more so with a 40MP sensor than a 26MP one, and softness at 120mm in the center at f2.8, flaring, and the lack of a aperture lock, as the aperture ring moves quite easily. Also no OS switch, must be turned on/off in camera, or a AF/MF switch. Basically an all plastic build with a rear sealing gasket. Seems Sigma made these compromises to keep the lens small and with the same 55mm filter thread as the 18-50 f2.8 and 56mm f1.4 DC DN, which I own.

Positives are the $799 pricing, the small size and under 400g, f2.8 at all apertures, good bokeh, close focusing (but not macro) a linear motor with fast focusing, optical stabilization and the matching 55mm filter size with other Sigma lenses. I feel this will be a good lens for many XF users.

A couple of months ago I may have jumped at this new zoom, but I purchased the Viltrox 75mm f1.8 recently. That lens is just great, only cost $296 and being pretty darn sharp I will use it for my short tele portrait lens. Don't need the new lens for just the 115-180mm range, I will use my XF 90mm f2 for that when needed. I am going to pass on this new lens for now.




Oct 08, 2026 at 09:54 AM
RoamingScott
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · Sigma 50-120mm f2.8


I was always surprised Tamron didn't tackle this lens first.


Oct 08, 2026 at 09:57 AM
SGinNorcal
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · Sigma 50-120mm f2.8


Seems like it doesn't approach the IQ of the original Fuji 50-140 where the mkII will probably be similar. For me its likely to come down to weight. I currently carry the 70-300 as a lightweight telephoto in my backpack and other than the size and weight, I don't love it. Its a little inconsistent for me in certain lighting/FL combos that I've struggled to define. I've been thinking I would take less reach for better IQ if the weight penalty wasn't too high (like the original 50-140). But I do want a lens that will take a 1.4TC which the mkII Fuji almost certainly will. Anyway, its great to have options and the Sigma certainly looks good for the size/weight. But I'm hoping the mkII Fuji will get better IQ in the vicinity of 600g weight.


Oct 08, 2026 at 11:46 AM
fjablo
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · Sigma 50-120mm f2.8


SpecFoto wrote:
Watched 2 video reviews from Chris at PP and Chris Frost, 2 reviewers who generally tell it like it is. Both mentioned softness in the corners at all F/L's, more so with a 40MP sensor than a 26MP one, and softness at 120mm in the center at f2.8


Haven't watched the reviews yet, but Sigma's MTF charts also suggest some corner softness due to astigmatism at the long end.. actually one of the aberrations I dislike most, imo it looks worse than just plain softness where both lines on the MTF diagram dip.. I don't mind the other points though














Will be interesting to see where Fuji's new 50-140mm II will land in terms of size and weight. My full-frame Nikon/Tamron 70-180mm f2.8 weighs 800g, compared to 1kg for the original Fuji 50-140mm. Imo they need to bring it down to <700g, ideally 600g or less.



Oct 08, 2026 at 12:42 PM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

JadedWriter
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · Sigma 50-120mm f2.8


Really wish Sigma just prioritized the refresh of the 50-100 Art. Saw the Petapixel review, heard about soft corners until 5.6 and kind of being middling wide open even at the center and lost interest in this.


Oct 08, 2026 at 05:45 PM
Nielk Mike
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · Sigma 50-120mm f2.8


It is really an f4 lens cause that's where it gains contrast and sharpness. Anyhow, I am not convinced by the initial test reports. Rather use Sony's 18-135 on the a6500 and stay with primes on Fuji.


Oct 09, 2026 at 05:20 AM
Joseph.
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · Sigma 50-120mm f2.8


This would've been a perfect travel lens next to the Fuji 16-55 II and I got excited for a moment, until I realized that the zoom ring turns the other way. If Sigma can build a zoom lens that can zoom the same direction as Fuji/Nikon, I bet they would sell a lot more. It sucks that they always kowtow to Canon.


Oct 09, 2026 at 12:34 PM
PhilthePhrame
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · Sigma 50-120mm f2.8


Fingers crossed that the Fuji 50-140 MII will be announced next month (Nov 2026) - I’m expecting it to be larger, but not too large, much more expensive, but worth it for Red Badge build and optical quality. So, though tempting, I won’t jump on the Sigma until I have seen the Fuji.


Oct 09, 2026 at 03:28 PM







FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

    
 

Welcome back
Log in to your account