p.1 #1 · Comparisons: Sony 600mm 6.3 and Sony 400mm 4.5 with Nikon Z 400mm, Z 600mm, Sony 100-500mm GM, Sony 400-800mm and Sigma 500mm F
Hi,
I have purchased these thebnee Sony 600mm 6.3 as well as the 400mm 4.5 and I have tested them with the 1,4x and 2x converters as well as compared them to the other lenses I have available which are:
- Sony 100-400mm F4.5 GM
- Sigma 500mm F5.6
- Nikon 600mm F6.3 PF
- Nikon 400mm F4.5
- Sony 400-800mm
---------------------------
Here are the results so far:
Sony 600mm: The Sony 600mm is very good and sharp and has a fast autofocus. Although all reviews preferred the 400mm saying it's even better, I could not verify these findings and I found the 600mm to be the best out of the two.
I found it to be equally sharp then the Sigma 500mm F5.6, which is very sharp and nice lens.
And I found it to be mostly qually sharp compared to the Nikon Z 600mm F6.3, and I have used the Nikon Z8 for the test. There were only a few instances where I would say that the Nikon 600mm was a bit sharper. However, I found the bokeh and handling of difficult light situations better when it comes to the Sony. Although the colors where a bit warmer compared to the Nikon version. It worked well with 1,4 Telekonverter and the autofocus was faster than the 100-400mm with the 2x converter. Image quality was on the same level. Similar to the Sony 400-800mm as well.
However, I found the stabilisation to be a bit worse than expected and not comparable to the Nikon lenses. They are extremely well stabilised, the difference is noticable
_______________________________
Sony 400mm: Also a very good lens and it was exactly as sharp as the Nikon Z 400mm. There were only minor colour differences and the Sony had just a slightly softer Bokeh. The autofocus was very fast on the Z8 + Sony 400mm. But on the Sony A7R VI it always a needed a few seconds to find focus, which was annoying. The stabilization was also notably worse than the one of the Nikon Z 400mm.
The 100-400mm GM acquired focus much faster on the Sony A7R VI than the 400mm 4.5.
The image quality was the same, although I found the zoom to be a tiny bit sharper. However, the prime had narrower field of view at 400mm then the 100-400mm had at 400mm.
It worked well with the 1,4 converter, but was less sharp than the Sigma 500mm F5.6 or the Sony 600mm F6.3. I wouldn't necessarily use it with 2x converter as I found the autofocus performance to be slowed down to much for my taste.
Please let me know if you want to know additional things or me to try out something, I would happy to report back to you. I can also all the images for the discussed comparisons.
p.1 #2 · Comparisons: Sony 600mm 6.3 and Sony 400mm 4.5 with Nikon Z 400mm, Z 600mm, Sony 100-500mm GM, Sony 400-800mm and Sigma 500mm F
Antimateria wrote:
Hi,
I have purchased these thebnee Sony 600mm 6.3 as well as the 400mm 4.5 and I have tested them with the 1,4x and 2x converters as well as compared them to the other lenses I have available which are:
- Sony 100-400mm F4.5 GM
- Sigma 500mm F5.6
- Nikon 600mm F6.3 PF
- Nikon 400mm F4.5
- Sony 400-800mm
---------------------------
Here are the results so far:
Sony 600mm: The Sony 600mm is very good and sharp and has a fast autofocus. Although all reviews preferred the 400mm saying it's even better, I could not verify these findings and I found the 600mm to be the best out of the two.
I found it to be equally sharp then the Sigma 500mm F5.6, which is very sharp and nice lens.
And I found it to be mostly qually sharp compared to the Nikon Z 600mm F6.3, and I have used the Nikon Z8 for the test. There were only a few instances where I would say that the Nikon 600mm was a bit sharper. However, I found the bokeh and handling of difficult light situations better when it comes to the Sony. Although the colors where a bit warmer compared to the Nikon version. It worked well with 1,4 Telekonverter and the autofocus was faster than the 100-400mm with the 2x converter. Image quality was on the same level. Similar to the Sony 400-800mm as well.
However, I found the stabilisation to be a bit worse than expected and not comparable to the Nikon lenses. They are extremely well stabilised, the difference is noticable
_______________________________
Sony 400mm: Also a very good lens and it was exactly as sharp as the Nikon Z 400mm. There were only minor colour differences and the Sony had just a slightly softer Bokeh. The autofocus was very fast on the Z8 + Sony 400mm. But on the Sony A7R VI it always a needed a few seconds to find focus, which was annoying. The stabilization was also notably worse than the one of the Nikon Z 400mm.
The 100-400mm GM acquired focus much faster on the Sony A7R VI than the 400mm 4.5.
The image quality was the same, although I found the zoom to be a tiny bit sharper. However, the prime had narrower field of view at 400mm then the 100-400mm had at 400mm.
It worked well with the 1,4 converter, but was less sharp than the Sigma 500mm F5.6 or the Sony 600mm F6.3. I wouldn't necessarily use it with 2x converter as I found the autofocus performance to be slowed down to much for my taste.
Please let me know if you want to know additional things or me to try out something, I would happy to report back to you. I can also all the images for the discussed comparisons....Show more →
Interesting results. Thanks for sharing your findings!
I’m interested in the Sony 600mm f6.3 GM bare and with 1.4x TC vs. the Sony 400-800mm. Not only image quality but AF speed and accuracy. As I’m considering trading the 400-800mm for the prime
p.1 #3 · Comparisons: Sony 600mm 6.3 and Sony 400mm 4.5 with Nikon Z 400mm, Z 600mm, Sony 100-500mm GM, Sony 400-800mm and Sigma 500mm F
Hi I have both lenses since a week and been testing them with A7V/A7RVI. This evening (after I read your post) I picked up the Sony 400 F4.5 with the A7RVI to see if I get the same AF lock on delay of a few seconds that you encountered.
Weather conditions good, tried various AF settings and focused handheld on various objects (different distances) in our fairly large garden.
.
The AF was quick, locked on without any issues and no delays whatsoever . I also tried it with the 1.4 attached and results were identical
Rene de Heer
Do you have a good copy of the Sony 400-800mm?
I found it to be challenging to find a decent copy. But now since I have one here are the results regarding your question
- The 600mm prime is sharper than the 400-800mm at 600mm. The autofocus is tiny bit faster and more accurate. It, however, seems less stabilized.
- With the 1,4 converter, the 600mm now at 840mm F9 is a less sharp then 400-800mm at 800mm. The autofocus is still fast, but a bit less accurate than the zoom.
It's good that you don't experience it, and unfortunate that I do.
I tested all available settings and it is fast with all my lenses, only the 400mm has this delay on the A7R VI Especially for closer subjects I always need to adjust with the focus ring. I tried every focus mode and it's persistent.
It's good that you don't experience it, and unfortunate that I do.
I tested all available settings and it is fast with all my lenses, only the 400mm has this delay on the A7R VI Especially for closer subjects I always need to adjust with the focus ring. I tried every focus mode and it's persistent.
It looks like your 400mm F4.5 has some issues and should be returned, based on that AF issue only impacting the 400mm lens.
Also, your comment that the 100-400 was sharper then 400 prime suggests there could be multiple issues with that lens. I do wonder how some of theses obvious lens issues get past QC. This is not just a Sony issue.
p.1 #7 · Comparisons: Sony 600mm 6.3 and Sony 400mm 4.5 with Nikon Z 400mm, Z 600mm, Sony 100-500mm GM, Sony 400-800mm and Sigma 500mm F
Hi so again I took out my 400 and A7RVI and aimed it at subjects close to closest focus distance of the lens. No issues! Locks on without any issues. Even on very low contrast items it locks on effortlessly. I also think you might have an issue with the lens. Maybe worthwhile returning it or try another copy.
Do you have a good copy of the Sony 400-800mm?
I found it to be challenging to find a decent copy. But now since I have one here are the results regarding your question
- The 600mm prime is sharper than the 400-800mm at 600mm. The autofocus is tiny bit faster and more accurate. It, however, seems less stabilized.
- With the 1,4 converter, the 600mm now at 840mm F9 is a less sharp then 400-800mm at 800mm. The autofocus is still fast, but a bit less accurate than the zoom.
Thanks for the info!
Not sure if my copy of the 400-800mm is a good one. I’ve only tried this one copy. But I’m happy with the results I’m getting from it
Your results are what I expect at 600mm. But I was hoping the 600/1.4x would be as sharp as the 400-800mm
Usually with good optics, adding a 1.4x is slightly better than just cropping. But maybe with these apertures, where diffraction starts to become a factor, maybe just cropping the bare 600mm to an 800mm FOV might outperform the 400-800mm @ 800mm
Also, your comments about the stabilization on the 400 and 600mm is a little concerning. Jan Wegener mentioned the same thing in his video
p.1 #9 · Comparisons: Sony 600mm 6.3 and Sony 400mm 4.5 with Nikon Z 400mm, Z 600mm, Sony 100-500mm GM, Sony 400-800mm and Sigma 500mm F
robert614 wrote:
Not sure if my copy of the 400-800mm is a good one. I’ve only tried this one copy. But I’m happy with the results I’m getting from it
Your results are what I expect at 600mm. But I was hoping the 600/1.4x would be as sharp as the 400-800mm
Usually with good optics, adding a 1.4x is slightly better than just cropping. But maybe with these apertures, where diffraction starts to become a factor, maybe just cropping the bare 600mm to an 800mm FOV might outperform the 400-800mm @ 800mm
Also, your comments about the stabilization on the 400 and 600mm is a little concerning. Jan Wegener mentioned the same thing in his video
If you have no complaints then it is probably a good one. I had a copy of the 400-800mm at first which was not sharp at 800mm F8. But it was something strange more like a Backfocus ussue. At F9- substantially better. There are lot of Reddit posts on this topics and others showed pictures that were exactly what I have experienced. Then I got a new copy and was all fine.
Since I have tested the 600mm Vs 400-800mm on the Sony A7R VI there could be a little loss of sharpness due to diffraction. The higher the pixel density the earlier stopping down the aperture will affect image quality. F9- could already be a slight turning point. However, I would still recommend the 600mm F6.3 with the teleconverter. It is not a bad combo and can still be used for birds in flight etc. Die to the lower weight it can also be used more flexible than the 400-800mm
p.1 #10 · Comparisons: Sony 600mm 6.3 and Sony 400mm 4.5 with Nikon Z 400mm, Z 600mm, Sony 100-500mm GM, Sony 400-800mm and Sigma 500mm F
Renee de Heer wrote:
Hi so again I took out my 400 and A7RVI and aimed it at subjects close to closest focus distance of the lens. No issues! Locks on without any issues. Even on very low contrast items it locks on effortlessly. I also think you might have an issue with the lens. Maybe worthwhile returning it or try another copy.
Thanks for the test. I am annoyed that I experience such an issue but good to know.
I still try tomorrow if there is anything user related, I could improve. Do you use any focus limiter or did you use the full range?
My AF settings are also more towards quick AF than staying on a subject.
p.1 #11 · Comparisons: Sony 600mm 6.3 and Sony 400mm 4.5 with Nikon Z 400mm, Z 600mm, Sony 100-500mm GM, Sony 400-800mm and Sigma 500mm F
hoodlum90 wrote:
It looks like your 400mm F4.5 has some issues and should be returned, based on that AF issue only impacting the 400mm lens.
Also, your comment that the 100-400 was sharper then 400 prime suggests there could be multiple issues with that lens. I do wonder how some of theses obvious lens issues get past QC. This is not just a Sony issue.
Yes, I want to take that seriously. Focussing issues like that should not be the case for such an expensive lens.
However, I didn't mean to say that it is substantially less sharp than the 100-400mm. The 100-400mm is just really good. It is even excellent with the 2x converter. I think I got lucky with that copy of the zoom.
p.1 #12 · Comparisons: Sony 600mm 6.3 and Sony 400mm 4.5 with Nikon Z 400mm, Z 600mm, Sony 100-500mm GM, Sony 400-800mm and Sigma 500mm F
I used full range. I bought this lens and the 600mm for bird/wildlife photography. I had the 300mm but used it most of the time with converters so the 400-600 made more sense
p.1 #13 · Comparisons: Sony 600mm 6.3 and Sony 400mm 4.5 with Nikon Z 400mm, Z 600mm, Sony 100-500mm GM, Sony 400-800mm and Sigma 500mm F
This is the most disappointing review of 400/4.5
I'm not blaming you. You told us what do you think. It's surprising that AF was better on Z8. When I tried 300mm on Z8 it was horrible for BIF. Works ok on static subjects. We all know how great it's on A1 II. So I take your finding on AF is bit odd
I have Nikon 400/4.5 which is an excellent lens, but not great. It's very soft with 1.4X. This is one thing I expect Sony to improve. I'm not surprised by the Stabilization result. I think it's a known fact now.
Do you mind sharing your pictures? Did you use shoot them hand held or on tripod with timer? Curious how did you draw the conclusion on sharpness.
Thanks
Antimateria wrote:
Hi,
I have purchased these thebnee Sony 600mm 6.3 as well as the 400mm 4.5 and I have tested them with the 1,4x and 2x converters as well as compared them to the other lenses I have available which are:
- Sony 100-400mm F4.5 GM
- Sigma 500mm F5.6
- Nikon 600mm F6.3 PF
- Nikon 400mm F4.5
- Sony 400-800mm
---------------------------
Here are the results so far:
Sony 600mm: The Sony 600mm is very good and sharp and has a fast autofocus. Although all reviews preferred the 400mm saying it's even better, I could not verify these findings and I found the 600mm to be the best out of the two.
I found it to be equally sharp then the Sigma 500mm F5.6, which is very sharp and nice lens.
And I found it to be mostly qually sharp compared to the Nikon Z 600mm F6.3, and I have used the Nikon Z8 for the test. There were only a few instances where I would say that the Nikon 600mm was a bit sharper. However, I found the bokeh and handling of difficult light situations better when it comes to the Sony. Although the colors where a bit warmer compared to the Nikon version. It worked well with 1,4 Telekonverter and the autofocus was faster than the 100-400mm with the 2x converter. Image quality was on the same level. Similar to the Sony 400-800mm as well.
However, I found the stabilisation to be a bit worse than expected and not comparable to the Nikon lenses. They are extremely well stabilised, the difference is noticable
_______________________________
Sony 400mm: Also a very good lens and it was exactly as sharp as the Nikon Z 400mm. There were only minor colour differences and the Sony had just a slightly softer Bokeh. The autofocus was very fast on the Z8 + Sony 400mm. But on the Sony A7R VI it always a needed a few seconds to find focus, which was annoying. The stabilization was also notably worse than the one of the Nikon Z 400mm.
The 100-400mm GM acquired focus much faster on the Sony A7R VI than the 400mm 4.5.
The image quality was the same, although I found the zoom to be a tiny bit sharper. However, the prime had narrower field of view at 400mm then the 100-400mm had at 400mm.
It worked well with the 1,4 converter, but was less sharp than the Sigma 500mm F5.6 or the Sony 600mm F6.3. I wouldn't necessarily use it with 2x converter as I found the autofocus performance to be slowed down to much for my taste.
Please let me know if you want to know additional things or me to try out something, I would happy to report back to you. I can also all the images for the discussed comparisons....Show more →
p.1 #14 · Comparisons: Sony 600mm 6.3 and Sony 400mm 4.5 with Nikon Z 400mm, Z 600mm, Sony 100-500mm GM, Sony 400-800mm and Sigma 500mm F
Antimateria wrote:
If you have no complaints then it is probably a good one. I had a copy of the 400-800mm at first which was not sharp at 800mm F8. But it was something strange more like a Backfocus ussue. At F9- substantially better. There are lot of Reddit posts on this topics and others showed pictures that were exactly what I have experienced. Then I got a new copy and was all fine.
Since I have tested the 600mm Vs 400-800mm on the Sony A7R VI there could be a little loss of sharpness due to diffraction. The higher the pixel density the earlier stopping down the aperture will affect image quality. F9- could already be a slight turning point. However, I would still recommend the 600mm F6.3 with the teleconverter. It is not a bad combo and can still be used for birds in flight etc. Die to the lower weight it can also be used more flexible than the 400-800mm
p.1 #15 · Comparisons: Sony 600mm 6.3 and Sony 400mm 4.5 with Nikon Z 400mm, Z 600mm, Sony 100-500mm GM, Sony 400-800mm and Sigma 500mm F
I own both the Sony 400mm f/4.5 and the Sony 300mm f/2.8.
I really think there is a problem with your lens.
My 400mm f/4.5 is excellent; in terms of sharpness, it matches—or even slightly surpasses—the 300mm f/2.8 paired with the 1.4x teleconverter.
The autofocus is on par with the 300mm f/2.8; if there is any difference, it’s imperceptible—it’s instantaneous.
However, the stabilization is slightly less effective than on the 300mm when using Mode 3. That said, I shoot handheld with both lenses, and Mode 2 works very well on the 400mm f/4.5.
I’ve owned the Z8 along with the 400mm f/4.5 and 600mm PF.
my A7R 6 and the Sony 400mm f/4.5 outperform the Nikon Z8 and Z 400mm f/4.5 combo in terms of sharpness.
The Sony 400mm f/4.5 remains very good with the 1.4x teleconverter, and it matches the 300mm f/2.8 with the 2x teleconverter in both sharpness and autofocus performance.