fredmiranda.com
Login

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
  

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

  

Best Fuji for Low Light Performance?

  
 
snegron7
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Best Fuji for Low Light Performance?


I apologize in advance; I don't own any Fuji equipment (yet). I currently shoot with three systems; Sony A7c, Sony A7iv, Canon R6II, and OM System OM-5. My last APS-C body was a Canon R7, but I sold it due to really bad back focusing issues (camera wasn't deffective; it was a known design flaw). I'm looking for a lightweight camera outfit for travel, and I've narrowed my choices down to the following (not in any particular order):

1. Buy a Sony A6700 and a Tamron 11-20mm f2.8 RDX to use with the Tamron 28-200mm f2.8-5.6 that I currently own.

2. Buy a Canon R8 (first generation, not the R8II as the new R8II is almost as big/heavy as my R6II). I have a bunch of RF lenses (primes and zooms), so I wouldn't be spending too much. Problems would be no IBIS or weather sealing on the old R8.

3. Buy a Fuji T5 (or other model) with either a couple of Tamron or Fujifilm lenses.

I've been doing a but of research on the T-5, and I've read several comparison/opinions regarding low light capture not being as good as other, less expensive Fujifilm bodies. Is there any truth to this?

If I wanted to get into the Fujifilm ecosystem, which body offers the best overall low light performance? I'm fully aware that I can't compare APS-C to FF, but I'm positive that APS-C would perform way better than my OM-5.

Thanks!



Oct 05, 2026 at 02:35 AM
Nielk Mike
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Best Fuji for Low Light Performance?


Go here: https://www.dpreview.com/image-comparison/?attr18=Daylight&normalization=full&attr13_0=0&attr13_1=0&attr13_2=0&attr13_3=0&x=0&y=0&widget=1 and compare high ISO files of the X-T5 to other cameras. With today's NR tools in LR, I wouldn't worry about low light performance. Since you are already using Sony FF, I would go for the a6700. Same battery, lenses fit, and you have state of the art AF.

If you do want to go Fuji, take a look at the X-E5.



Oct 05, 2026 at 03:24 AM
rsrsrs
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · Best Fuji for Low Light Performance?


.... and the viltrox 1.2 lens.


Oct 05, 2026 at 06:13 AM
RWNPhoto
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · Best Fuji for Low Light Performance?


snegron7 wrote:
I'm fully aware that I can't compare APS-C to FF, but I'm positive that APS-C would perform way better than my OM-5.


"Way better" might be a stretch.



Oct 05, 2026 at 07:11 AM
gyoung143
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · Best Fuji for Low Light Performance?




snegron7 wrote:
I apologize in advance; I don't own any Fuji equipment (yet). I currently shoot with three systems; Sony A7c, Sony A7iv, Canon R6II, and OM System OM-5. My last APS-C body was a Canon R7, but I sold it due to really bad back focusing issues (camera wasn't deffective; it was a known design flaw). I'm looking for a lightweight camera outfit for travel, and I've narrowed my choices down to the following (not in any particular order):

1. Buy a Sony A6700 and a Tamron 11-20mm f2.8 RDX to use with the Tamron 28-200mm f2.8-5.6 that I currently own.

2.
...Show more →
When the Xt5 came out, there was some debate over noise performance. The conclusion we came to was that high iso noise on the 40mpx sensor was different in character to that with the 26mpx sensor, but not worse.
A FF sensor will theoretically be better, given all other variable such as age of design and processor are equal, but they rarely are. The difference can undoubtedly be measured, and might be visible on 'test' but is extremely unlikely to be visible on normal use, even before the wonders of modern post processing tools.

Gerry



Oct 05, 2026 at 07:14 AM
gdanmitchell
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · Best Fuji for Low Light Performance?


snegron7 wrote:
I apologize in advance; I don't own any Fuji equipment (yet). I currently shoot with three systems; Sony A7c, Sony A7iv, Canon R6II, and OM System OM-5. My last APS-C body was a Canon R7, but I sold it due to really bad back focusing issues (camera wasn't deffective; it was a known design flaw). I'm looking for a lightweight camera outfit for travel, and I've narrowed my choices down to the following (not in any particular order):

1. Buy a Sony A6700 and a Tamron 11-20mm f2.8 RDX to use with the Tamron 28-200mm f2.8-5.6 that I currently own.

2.
...Show more →

I don’t know what you’ve read about XT5 low light performance, but there were some people writing hat it was not as good as lower MP sensors on earlier Fujifilm cameras… who appeared to mostly be repeating the old “wisdom” that higher MPs always meant worse low light performance.

What they forget is that every sensor generation deals with the noise and dynamic range issues better along with increasing photo site density, so over time both MPs and low light performance of cameras actually improves. (It is true that two sensors from the same technology generation will differ, but that observation doesn’t apply across different generations.)

I have used Fujifilm APS-C cameras for travel and street photography including night street photography for over a dozen years now, and I’m very happy with the results.



Oct 05, 2026 at 07:32 AM
Bruce Marriner
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · Best Fuji for Low Light Performance?


snegron7 wrote:
I'm positive that APS-C would perform way better than my OM-5.
Thanks!


I have a XT5, GFX100sII, OM1mk2, Nikon Zf.

The difference from the OM1 to the XT5 is not very much and I'd say pretty negligible. The jump from OM1 to the Nikon Zf is very noticeable. From the Zf to the GFX is noticeable but it's not a huge difference (strictly talking about noise).

There are, of course, other points of comparison between these cameras that should influence your choice. How they feel to use, the type of dials/menu layout, the autofocus systems are pretty different (if that's important to you), and so on.

With tools like DXO PureRaw and updates to Photoshop/Lr, and even C1 now has a decent denoise option.. It's quite amazing how high you can go with your ISO and still have a pretty good image even on the OM's little sensor.


The link provided by @Nielk Mike above is probably the best way for you to visually see how they compare.




Oct 05, 2026 at 09:21 AM
RoamingScott
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · Best Fuji for Low Light Performance?


Like Bruce said, there is no need to rely on "theory". Plenty of us have shot every system and the jump to full frame, especially a low MP count sensor (24ish) makes them obvious choices for low light/high ISO work over Fuji without breaking the bank and jumping up to 44x33.

A refurbished Z5ii for $1300 is a better camera and overall value than anything listed in the OP.



Oct 05, 2026 at 09:23 AM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

ruthenium
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · Best Fuji for Low Light Performance?


snegron7 wrote:
I apologize in advance; I don't own any Fuji equipment (yet). I currently shoot with three systems; Sony A7c, Sony A7iv, Canon R6II, and OM System OM-5. My last APS-C body was a Canon R7, but I sold it due to really bad back focusing issues (camera wasn't deffective; it was a known design flaw). I'm looking for a lightweight camera outfit for travel, and I've narrowed my choices down to the following (not in any particular order):

1. Buy a Sony A6700 and a Tamron 11-20mm f2.8 RDX to use with the Tamron 28-200mm f2.8-5.6 that I currently own.

2.
...Show more →

By "low light performance" you probably mean the high-ISO performance, and I believe that you are looking for a camera that has less noise.
One way to look at this is with the help of the information on the photonstophotos website.
For example, we can compare the dynamic range of several cameras.
The photographic dynamic range is a log2 of the signal to noise ratio. Assuming we deliver the same amount of light, then the observed differences should be due to different in-camera noise.
For example, at ISO 6400, two full-frame cameras have the dynamic range:
Sony A7III, 6.5
Sony A7RVI, 6.4

For APS-C cameras, the equivalent ISO (when the same amount of light is allowed to reach the sensor) is 2,844, and the dynamic range is as follows:
X-T5, ca. 6.2
X-H2, ca. 6.5
Sony A6700, ca. 6.4

Basically, the low light performance of all these cameras is about the same - there is no big winner and no big looser.
Thus, the choice should be mostly guided by other considerations, for example, I would first ask which of these bodies has the the best IBIS.




Oct 05, 2026 at 11:48 AM
gjoliver
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · Best Fuji for Low Light Performance?


A somewhat related topic to low light performance, I recently compared IBIS performance between my x-t4 and zf.
zf did visibly better in terms of stabilizing the viewfinder.
Technically x-t4 also has 6.5 stops of ibis. do you guys know if x-t4 is just not as good compared to x-t5 or the coming x-t6.
Or is Fuji simply worse at ibis compared to nikon?
I say somewhat related to the original topic because it seems like I'd have to crank up ISO because of this.



Oct 05, 2026 at 12:01 PM
RoamingScott
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #11 · Best Fuji for Low Light Performance?


Yes, Fuji IBIS of that generation is considerably behind modern Nikon.

Supposedly the X-T6 will improve performance. I sure hope so. The X100VI IBIS is embarrassingly bad for the price.



Oct 05, 2026 at 12:07 PM
gjoliver
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · Best Fuji for Low Light Performance?


thanks for the reply. looking forward to x-t6 then.
assuming x-t5 and x100vi have the same ibis system, x-t5 wouldn't do a lot better here either.

RoamingScott wrote:
Yes, Fuji IBIS of that generation is considerably behind modern Nikon.

Supposedly the X-T6 will improve performance. I sure hope so. The X100VI IBIS is embarrassingly bad for the price.





Oct 05, 2026 at 12:11 PM
RoamingScott
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #13 · Best Fuji for Low Light Performance?


gjoliver wrote:
thanks for the reply. looking forward to x-t6 then.
assuming x-t5 and x100vi have the same ibis system, x-t5 wouldn't do a lot better here either.



I never did try the X-T5. They claim 7 stops of IBIS. Lots of companies claim lots of things.



Oct 05, 2026 at 12:13 PM
jakelindsay
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #14 · Best Fuji for Low Light Performance?


I took this the other week with my A7Cii at ISO 12800. I'm resizing it on the bigger size so you can see the noise. For me this is not only perfectly acceptable, but actually pretty impressive for ISO 12800. All I did was LR Denoise.

I think I've pushed my X-T5 to 12800 before and it's been fine. If you're shooting for clients that might be a different story.






  ILCE-7CM2    FE 20-70mm F4 G lens    33mm    f/8.0    1/200s    12800 ISO    -0.3 EV  




Oct 05, 2026 at 01:24 PM
SGinNorcal
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #15 · Best Fuji for Low Light Performance?


My X-T5 is my travel/hiking/walkabout tool and I love it. I have a Gfx100S for when its about the photo, the X-T5 to me is for capturing life in front of me. I would expect comparison of different formats and brands to have pretty minor differences in low light performance. I would focus on lenses for that. I have two paths with the X-T5 depending on what I'm doing. My hiking setup is 16-55/2.8 mkII as the main with Sigma 12/1.4 and 70-300 in my pack. I might also use this setup traveling if the scenes are expected to be larger or largely outside. My street setup for tight, old world towns is the Fuji 18/1.4, a great lens. I carry with that the 35/1.4. If I'm expecting to need longer focals, then its 33/1.4 and 50/2. All of these lenses perform very well on low light. Personally, I would rather shoot with a little higher ISO than rely on IBIS to save my photo. So I haven't spent time working out how slow I can shoot the X-T5 before loosing detail. PureRaw does any amazing job of reducing ISO noise for those time times I need it, which is not that often.


Oct 05, 2026 at 01:45 PM
Jack Flesher
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #16 · Best Fuji for Low Light Performance?


snegron7 wrote:
I apologize in advance; I don't own any Fuji equipment (yet). I currently shoot with three systems; Sony A7c, Sony A7iv, Canon R6II, and OM System OM-5. My last APS-C body was a Canon R7, but I sold it due to really bad back focusing issues (camera wasn't deffective; it was a known design flaw). I'm looking for a lightweight camera outfit for travel, and I've narrowed my choices down to the following (not in any particular order):

1. Buy a Sony A6700 and a Tamron 11-20mm f2.8 RDX to use with the Tamron 28-200mm f2.8-5.6 that I currently own.

2.
...Show more →

In my experience: the 40MP Fuji X-Trans sensor (XT5) has a bit more noise than the Sony 60MP sensor. Most of the full-frame 24MP sensors are pretty good on noise regardless of manufacturer. Generally speaking APSC sensors are worse at noise than full-frame sensors. The Sony 33MP sensor (A7iv/v and A7Cii) is darn good out of the box and because of that I sort of regret selling my A7Cii.

The Sony A7Siii is largely regarded as the best high ISO noise camera, but be advised it has a 12MP sensor.

Again, in my experience, if you use one of the new AI noise-reduction tools on any higher resolution image, then downsize that image to match whatever other sensor resolution, they'll appear about the same as the lower-res sensor in visible image noise at comparable ISO's.

Example after AI denoise from the A7R6 (67MP) at ISO 12,800:




  ILCE-7RM6    FE 400-800mm F6.3-8 G OSS lens    685mm    f/9.0    1/2000s    12800 ISO    0.0 EV  




Oct 05, 2026 at 02:50 PM







FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

    
 

Welcome back
Log in to your account