fredmiranda.com
Login

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
  

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

       2       3       end
  

Your Preferred Travel Outfit?

  
 
snegron7
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Your Preferred Travel Outfit?


Hypothetical question:

If you were traveling to either Prague or Istanbul for one week, what gear would YOU take with YOU? The images you'd be capturing would be street shots, interior shots, cityscapes, and zero wildlife.

I don't have any immediate plans on visiting these two places anytime soon. This is just a gear-related topic. And no; taking "whatever gear I (me, the OP) have available" is not an option; this topic is about what gear would YOU take if YOU were visiting any of those places.




Oct 04, 2026 at 10:16 PM
Pixelpuffin
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Your Preferred Travel Outfit?


We visited Prague last year
Utterly beautiful
I couldn’t face the weight of FF and the bigger lenses
So took M50 + 18-150 + 11-22 + 50/1.8
For me it worked great, the weather was warm and sunny
I had to get up at 4:30 and be out in the old town for 5am, had a few hours shooting. Believe me, it is so busy during the day you will not get clear shots.

If I go back I’ll take aps-c again.
The 18-150 was by far the most used lens.

I don’t print, only view on screens. I’ll probably create a photo book in which case the smaller format will be fine.

Prague is incredible, it is so so stunningly beautiful.

Enjoy your trip 👍🏻



Oct 04, 2026 at 10:36 PM
old-gregg
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · Your Preferred Travel Outfit?


The smallest 28+40mm pair possible. Body doesn't matter. Everything would go into a tiny shoulder bag. At the moment, this translates to the Nikon Zf + 28mm f/2.8 SE + 40mm f/2 SE.

When low light performance is needed, and autofocus is not, I swap them for the corresponding Voigtlander Noktons.



Oct 04, 2026 at 10:49 PM
liggy
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · Your Preferred Travel Outfit?


20-70 F4 + A1 II

70-200 GM II + TC.
35 1.4 GM

Could probably do the whole trip with just the 20-70 period if needed.

Have been to both cities and would be happy to go back.




Oct 04, 2026 at 11:17 PM
Jack Flesher
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · Your Preferred Travel Outfit?


snegron7 wrote:
Hypothetical question:

If you were traveling to either Prague or Istanbul for one week, what gear would YOU take with YOU? The images you'd be capturing would be street shots, interior shots, cityscapes, and zero wildlife.

I don't have any immediate plans on visiting these two places anytime soon. This is just a gear-related topic. And no; taking "whatever gear I (me, the OP) have available" is not an option; this topic is about what gear would YOU take if YOU were visiting any of those places.



You posted in the Sony forum, so assume you want Sony answers. Just understand almost anything reasonably current camera and lenses from any manufacturer can be a great choice, so you'll possibly get as many different answers as people answering, and none of them will be "wrong..." For size vs quality of image convenience, I would do full-frame, but understand the allure of the slightly smaller APSC cameras. MF digital is too big for me to consider traveling with, and anything smaller than APSC I would probably go all the way small and just use my cell phone. So that out of the way, here's my "Sony" answer:

Body: any relatively current body is going to be excellent, obviously I choose from what I own. In my case either the A7R6 or slightly more compact and somewhat stealthier A7CR. In reality the A7R6 isn't all that much bigger and only about 4 oz heavier, but it looks a bit more "pro" and as such probably attracts more attention.

Lenses: Any of the versatile zooms are a good choice, but size matters to me for travel. So again choosing from what I own, I would probably take the 20-70/4 do-it-all -- relatively small with great optics and really versatile range for travel. I like to take wide shots too so would also carry my Tamron 12-20. I don't typically do many longer shots in most travel, so would probably leave the 70-200 at home; or maybe bring it and leave it in the hotel room just in case. I would carry my pancake Viltrox 26mm/2.8 EVO for a really small walk-around combo; and I might take my 55/1.8 as well as an alternative walking around street/people focal. Both these primes are small enough to not bother in the bag. This entire kit fits easily in my messenger style Domke PJ bag.

Hope this helps.



Oct 04, 2026 at 11:30 PM
chez
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · Your Preferred Travel Outfit?


Same as I take to whatever place I travel to. My A7r3 with Batis 25, 40 and 90.


Oct 04, 2026 at 11:38 PM
freaklikeme
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · Your Preferred Travel Outfit?


All city travel? Right now, a7rII full-spectrum mono, rII Kolari-UT mod, Minolta MDs 20/2.8 and 28/2, Sony A 50/2.8 mac, and Canon EF 100/2.


Oct 04, 2026 at 11:51 PM
snegron7
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · Your Preferred Travel Outfit?




Jack Flesher wrote:
You posted in the Sony forum, so assume you want Sony answers. Just understand almost anything reasonably current camera and lenses from any manufacturer can be a great choice, so you'll possibly get as many different answers as people answering, and none of them will be "wrong..." For size vs quality of image convenience, I would do full-frame, but understand the allure of the slightly smaller APSC cameras. MF digital is too big for me to consider traveling with, and anything smaller than APSC I would probably go all the way small and just use my cell phone. So
...Show more →


Cross posted in both Sony and Canon forums in order to get perspectives from both sides. 😀

Thanks!

p.s. That Tamron 11-20mm f2.8 is a very nice lens!



Oct 05, 2026 at 12:11 AM
Craig Gillette
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · Your Preferred Travel Outfit?


I would look to covering 20mm to 200mm, assuming some research doesn't suggest anything specific otherwise. So, the Sigma 20-200 is the convenience winner if perhaps not the optimal quality or wider/longer/faster sets of choices. In Sony, there isn't a comparable single lens aps-c kit.

I happen to think the 28-200 and similar size lenses are large enough that I would not make the "features" trades to go to the A7C series.



Oct 05, 2026 at 12:13 AM
tomba8tomba
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #10 · Your Preferred Travel Outfit?


snegron7 wrote:
Hypothetical question:

If you were traveling to either Prague or Istanbul for one week, what gear would YOU take with YOU? The images you'd be capturing would be street shots, interior shots, cityscapes, and zero wildlife.
…



Canon R6II with Canon RF 24mm 1.4 L VCM + Canon RF 70-200mm 2.8 L Z



Oct 05, 2026 at 04:28 AM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

rob_ww
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #11 · Your Preferred Travel Outfit?


I would take the 24-50/2.8 which pretty much goes with me everywhere. Prague is a great walk-around city so having a single light lens is enough, and f2.8 is wide enough for night shots using modern Sony sensors. Can be cropped to circa. 100mm equivalent if needed.
Istanbul has more open vistas, especially for shots across the Bosphorus or even details on the ceiling of the Haggia Sophia so I might add a long lens. In my case the Batis 135mm.



Oct 05, 2026 at 05:01 AM
Jman13
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · Your Preferred Travel Outfit?


I’ve done a lot of traveling in Europe, and I would view an ultra wide as essential.

For me I’d take:
R6II
14-35/4L
24-105/4L
45/1.2

No real need for a longer telephoto (or its weight) and it’s nice to have a wide or normal prime in addition to the general purpose work. My last trip to Europe (Italy) I was shooting Nikon but took a very similar kit (Zf, 14-24, 24-120, 40/2)



Oct 05, 2026 at 06:13 AM
TheEmrys
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #13 · Your Preferred Travel Outfit?


20-70/4 and 35/1.4GM. I can make do for just about everything with that in a fabulous medieval city like that. Anything approaching 150-200mm starts to get unwieldily for me with big urban travel.


Oct 05, 2026 at 06:21 AM
jojib
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #14 · Your Preferred Travel Outfit?


snegron7 wrote:
Hypothetical question:

If you were traveling to either Prague or Istanbul for one week, what gear would YOU take with YOU? The images you'd be capturing would be street shots, interior shots, cityscapes, and zero wildlife.

I don't have any immediate plans on visiting these two places anytime soon. This is just a gear-related topic. And no; taking "whatever gear I (me, the OP) have available" is not an option; this topic is about what gear would YOU take if YOU were visiting any of those places.



Those two cities---I'll definitely do a model shoot on the streets. Thus A6700 + Sigma 17-40/1.8 DN ART + Sonnar 55/1.8 (for head and shoulders portraits) + Godox iT30S. Backup: Fuji X100VI + Godox iT30F. However, if there is a beach I want to do a swimsuit shoot as well--then I will just bring the A7V + OEM vertical grip + Sigma 28-105/2.8 DG DN ART + Godox V1midS.

Oh + my iPhone 17 Pro Max.

Happy Travels!!!



Oct 05, 2026 at 06:35 AM
JohnJ
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #15 · Your Preferred Travel Outfit?


The kit I've settled on for travel is a 16-35/2.8 gmii, 55/1.8 za and a short prime with an a7r4 or a7r2. Recently I've favoured a Zuiko 100/2.8, with adaptor to E mount, for size/weight and sheer image quality. I mainly shoot architecture/interiors rather than people when travelling so the zoom does almost all of the work.

The 20-70/4 is a brilliant lens but often it's not wide enough for architecture/interiors. For me it's a significant compromise which I don't like to make.

Edited on Oct 05, 2026 at 07:38 AM · View previous versions



Oct 05, 2026 at 07:28 AM
RWNPhoto
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #16 · Your Preferred Travel Outfit?


Preferred Travel Outfit?
Slacks, a polo shirt and a light jacket, with a hat, sunglasses and comfortable shoes...




Oct 05, 2026 at 07:32 AM
Steve Spencer
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #17 · Your Preferred Travel Outfit?


I would take an all manual focus kit with Voigtlander lenses. With what I have right now I would take the 21 f/3.5 Leica M mount lens, the 40 f/1.2 RF mount lens, and the 75 f/1.5 Leica M mount lens. In the next little while I am likely to get the Canon 14-35 f/4L and the Voigtlander 75 f/2.8 APO Leica M mount lens. When I do I would probably substitute the Canon ultra wide zoom for the Voigtlander 21 and the smaller Voigtlander 75 f/2.8 APO for the faster Voigtlander 75 f/1.5. That new kit will be almost as light as my current kit (just 160g heavier), but would be better suited for the trip you mention as I think I would want to shoot a lot of architecture on such a trip and would appreciate being able to shoot wider than 21mm.


Oct 05, 2026 at 08:11 AM
johnvanr
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #18 · Your Preferred Travel Outfit?


I’m sorry, but you’re not planning to travel to those cities. So, is this the beginning of a series where every week you ask us what gear we would take to any combination of two cities you’re not planning to travel to?


Oct 05, 2026 at 08:32 AM
Jman13
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #19 · Your Preferred Travel Outfit?


johnvanr wrote:
I’m sorry, but you’re not planning to travel to those cities. So, is this the beginning of a series where every week you ask us what gear we would take to any combination of two cities you’re not planning to travel to?


He says in his original post it's hypothetical - what does it matter? It's a discussion forum. And if someone wants to get a feel for the experience of forum members for European travel kits, that's not a bad thing to discuss, regardless of whether it is an immediate need for help or not. I actually appreciate that this is open ended, rather than 'I have these 5 lenses, which 3 should I take.'



Oct 05, 2026 at 08:56 AM
Jeffrey
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #20 · Your Preferred Travel Outfit?


Pretty bored today, eh?


Oct 05, 2026 at 09:06 AM
       2       3       end






FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

       2       3       end
    
 

Welcome back
Log in to your account