fredmiranda.com
Login

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
  

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

  

Apple's new RAW decoder and denoise engine rivals DxO's PureRAW

  
 
duncangr
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Apple's new RAW decoder and denoise engine rivals DxO's PureRAW


Apple’s new RAW decoder and denoising appears to be as good as DxO’s RAW denoise - and it works great with the A7R6 files (any format) and apparently support the A75 files as well.

If you have a Mac running macOS 27 and want to try it out you can download my RAW app - its a bit clunky because I broke some of the UI elements and haven’t got around to fixing them until I figured it would be worth doing - and given how good the App RAW denoiser seems to be I will probably put a bit more effort into fixing it up. 

It is also a bit slow with the new raw decoder so be patient if you do try it - don't click onto images too quickly or you will clog up the graphics pipeline as currently it does not handle cleanup of the pipeline properly. I will have to optimises the graphics by tiling the images - but up until now it hasn’t been worth it.

One thing that is impressive is how the Apple engine caches the intermediate ML results - when you go to export the image it takes less than a second !!

However bear in mind that the app currently has some bugs that cause things to grind to a halt after processing a few images. Restart the app to fix that More clean up required to smoothing things out - hopefully Apple release Aperture v2 so I don’t have to bother!

Alternately look for the app called RAWScope on the App Store which I believe is also using Apple version 9 decoder.

https://duncangroenewald.com/files/Software/RAW.zip

The app is a little counterintuitive in that you need to select a folder with RAW files and then import the files - the app just reads the files metadata and saves then in a database along with any adjustments. It is non-destructive so does not alter the original RAW files in any way. Send me a message and I can dig out the instructions if necessary.

A couple of examples below - I think it is on par with DxO in terms of retaining the details and slightly better overall at removing noise - it seems to produce slightly more subtle results.

Obviously there are many functions in PhotoLab that are not available in my app but it is nice to see a really excellent RAW decoder from Apple - they must be serious about providing a full suite of Photo/Video applications in future.

Unfortunately there are currently only a limited set of Cameras that are supported by the Version 9 RAW decoder - the Canon R1, Sony A7riii, A75 and A7R6 being some of them. No A1, A1ii or A9iii as yet.














Oct 04, 2026 at 06:31 AM
MikeEvangelist
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Apple's new RAW decoder and denoise engine rivals DxO's PureRAW


I'm curious to try this, but can't seem to get any images to load into the app. I created a folder with three raw files from the a7Rvi and tried to add it, but nothing happens. What am I doing wrong?


Oct 04, 2026 at 07:31 AM
Jeffrey
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · Apple's new RAW decoder and denoise engine rivals DxO's PureRAW


Sony content??


Oct 04, 2026 at 09:16 AM
gdanmitchell
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · Apple's new RAW decoder and denoise engine rivals DxO's PureRAW


Jeffrey wrote:
Sony content??


Seems like it should be in “Post Processing & Printing” rather than here.



Oct 04, 2026 at 09:55 AM
swldstn
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · Apple's new RAW decoder and denoise engine rivals DxO's PureRAW


Is this a stand alone app or some kind of plugin to be used with some specific image processing flow?

Could you please explain for those of us not as familiar with a tool like this. Thank you.



Oct 04, 2026 at 10:02 AM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

biggles2002
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · Apple's new RAW decoder and denoise engine rivals DxO's PureRAW


I have tried it and I added some raw from A7R6 and after fiddling with the sliders ...how do I export?


Oct 04, 2026 at 11:29 AM
Jeffrey
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · Apple's new RAW decoder and denoise engine rivals DxO's PureRAW


I don't want to use it in an app. I want the feature available in Camera RAW or Photoshop. It that where I can access it?


Oct 04, 2026 at 02:03 PM
pr4photos
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · Apple's new RAW decoder and denoise engine rivals DxO's PureRAW


How does it compare to Lightroom denoise?



Oct 04, 2026 at 03:19 PM
EB-1
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · Apple's new RAW decoder and denoise engine rivals DxO's PureRAW


Does it have lens profiles in the RAW conversion or how does that work for high distortion and CA in many modern lenses?

EBH



Oct 04, 2026 at 03:28 PM







FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

    
 

Welcome back
Log in to your account