p.1 #1 · Reddish Egrets at Aransas Wildlife Refuge
The last day we were in Rockport, TX we drove up to the Aransas Wildlife Refuge. In all the years I've been in Texas (coming up on 80 now), I've never visited this wildlife refuge. I have to say that we came at a bad time -- the weather was atrociously hot, mosquitoes were horrendous, and we did not see as much wildlife as we had hoped. Due to the bright sunny, hot/humid conditions, thermal distortion was a significant issue.
In the right season, I sure this is an awesome wildlife spot.
Here are a few shots I got during our very short visit -- I did what I could with these.
Greg
#1 - I had to throw in this cool bent tree.
OM-1MarkII OM 100-400mm F5.0-6.3 II lens100mmf/6.31/250s200 ISO+1.3 EV
#2 Reddish Egret
OM-1MarkII OM 100-400mm F5.0-6.3 II lens400mmf/6.31/1250s800 ISO+0.3 EV
#3 - More Reddish Egrets
OM-1MarkII OM 100-400mm F5.0-6.3 II lens321mmf/6.31/1250s500 ISO+1.3 EV
#4
OM-1MarkII OM 100-400mm F5.0-6.3 II lens355mmf/6.31/2000s500 ISO+0.7 EV
#5
OM-1MarkII OM 100-400mm F5.0-6.3 II lens355mmf/6.31/2000s500 ISO+0.7 EV
#6 - Greater Yellowlegs
OM-1MarkII OM 100-400mm F5.0-6.3 II lens355mmf/6.31/2000s320 ISO-0.7 EV
#7 - We saw this guy as we were leaving the refuge
OM-1MarkII OM 100-400mm F5.0-6.3 II lens361mmf/6.31/2000s500 ISO+0.7 EV
p.1 #7 · Reddish Egrets at Aransas Wildlife Refuge
birdied wrote:
Very neat shot. Looks like a special place.
Birdie
Thank you, Birdie. early Spring is when the Whooping Cranes are in the area -- that would be the time to be there.
Greg
---------------------------------------------
morris wrote:
Nice varied set greg with the Crested Caracara my faverate. Where are you photos of the mosquitoes?
Morris
Thanks, Morris. I didn't get any mosquito shots because I was too busy running from them! We made the mistake of failing to apply repellent, and decided to hike a very short loop that is supposed to be good for birding. It was nice and shady and absolutely swarming with mosquitoes. We didn't hike, we sprinted!