fredmiranda.com
Login

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
  

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

  

A7r V Extrmemely Slow Filter Transfer Speeds (to PC)

  
 
raminolta
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · A7r V Extrmemely Slow Filter Transfer Speeds (to PC)


Hi all,
I recently upgraded to A7rv. With my former A7riii, I was typically connecting the camera directly to the computer using the supplied USB cable in order to transfer files (videos and photos). I started doing the same thing with A7rv but to my surprise, it is painfully slow. I am using the same SDXC cards I had before in my A7r iii. Of course, I formatted them in the new camera before using them.
When transferring the files, sometimes my desktop freezes for a few seconds. Sometimes, the file transfer completely halts for a couple of seconds and even when it restarts, it is in the 10-15MB/S range. I believe this cannot be normal.
Today I decided to use my SDXC USB C card reader instead. So I removed the cards from the camera and used my card reader for transferring the files. Now, it is super fast, I am getting about 250MB/S for both video and photo files. To me, it seems something is off in the camera/computer connection.

On another note, after connecting the camera to the computer, there was a message about a Sony application: Creators' app. Apparently, it does help with file transferring too. Is it really a useful app. What advantages does it bring on?



Thanks



Sep 30, 2026 at 07:57 PM
Jack Flesher
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · A7r V Extrmemely Slow Filter Transfer Speeds (to PC)


Here’s a thought. Get a card reader that connects directly to your computer’s fastest port. Problem solved!


Sep 30, 2026 at 08:27 PM
SpecFoto
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · A7r V Extrmemely Slow Filter Transfer Speeds (to PC)


Remember that the A7RV raw files are 50% larger than the A7RIII files and most likely the file transfer protocol is the same (slow) speed. I always use a Fast external USB-C card reader for that reason and have no slowdown issues as previously experienced at times with my A7RIV and A7CR.

Don't use creators app, so no help there.

Edited on Sep 30, 2026 at 09:04 PM · View previous versions



Sep 30, 2026 at 08:57 PM
raminolta
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · A7r V Extrmemely Slow Filter Transfer Speeds (to PC)


Jack Flesher wrote:
Here’s a thought. Get a card reader that connects directly to your computer’s fastest port. Problem solved!


I already wrote in my message that when using my card reader, I achieve transfer speeds in the range of 250MB/S (which is the limit of my current cards). My question was if other people had experienced something similar and if they could figure out the root of the problem. This could be an incompatibility issue specific to my system or the case of bad USB drivers on my computer or something else. It's good to receive some feedback from other users. By the way, I haven't learned or tried to use the wireless connection if there is such a thing (that is if A7r v can wirelessly connect to a computer by itself without using an app?).




Sep 30, 2026 at 09:03 PM
Jack Flesher
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · A7r V Extrmemely Slow Filter Transfer Speeds (to PC)


raminolta wrote:
I already wrote in my message that when using my card reader I achieve transfer speeds in the range of 250MB/S (which is the write limit of my current cards). My question was if other people had experienced something similar and if they could figure out the root of the problem. This could be an incompatibility issue specific to my system or the case of bad USB drivers on my computer or something else. It's good to receive some feedback from other users. By the way, I haven't learned or tried to use the wireless connection if there is
...Show more →

I guess my point is more along the lines of why in today’s world, would we try to understand why (or even care why) a direct camera connection is slow, when known faster solutions are available?

Stated another way, cameras ceased being the most efficient card readers (aka image transfer devices) a long time ago.



Sep 30, 2026 at 09:07 PM
duncangr
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · A7r V Extrmemely Slow Filter Transfer Speeds (to PC)


raminolta wrote:
Hi all,
I recently upgraded to A7rv. With my former A7riii, I was typically connecting the camera directly to the computer using the supplied USB cable in order to transfer files (videos and photos). I started doing the same thing with A7rv but to my surprise, it is painfully slow. I am using the same SDXC cards I had before in my A7r iii. Of course, I formatted them in the new camera before using them.
When transferring the files, sometimes my desktop freezes for a few seconds. Sometimes, the file transfer completely halts for a couple of seconds
...Show more →

Make sure you are using a compatible USB-C cable for fastest transfer speeds. I use a thunderbolt 4 cable with my CF Express cards and can copy about 50GB per minute to the thunderbolt port on my Mac laptop.

You should be getting the same speed as the card reader gives you.

Avoid using the micro-USB port on the camera for transfers.

Failing that send the camera back to Sony to check the USB-C port is working properly.



Sep 30, 2026 at 09:11 PM
Barbara Linkous
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · A7r V Extrmemely Slow Filter Transfer Speeds (to PC)


I think you’ve already done the most useful troubleshooting step by testing the same SD cards with your USB-C card reader. If you’re getting around 250 MB/s through the reader, the cards are clearly not the problem.

The 10–15 MB/s you’re seeing when the a7R V is connected directly to the computer points more toward the USB connection, cable, port, or camera USB settings. I’d try a known-good high-speed USB-C cable, connect directly to a USB 3.x port on the computer (not through a hub), and check the a7R V’s USB connection/transfer settings to make sure it isn’t operating in a slower mode.

The brief freezes and transfers stopping for a few seconds also aren't something I would consider normal if everything is configured correctly.

That said, I personally wouldn't bother using the camera as the card reader if your dedicated reader is already giving you ~250 MB/s. A good UHS-II reader is going to be the much better workflow for large photo/video transfers.

As for Sony Creators' App, it’s useful mainly for connecting the camera to your phone/tablet—remote shooting, transferring selected images/videos, camera management, etc. I wouldn't use it as my primary solution for transferring large amounts of footage to a computer.

So basically: your card-reader test looks good, and I'd focus the troubleshooting on the camera's USB connection. If the reader is consistently giving you 250 MB/s, I'd just use the reader and save yourself the headache.



Sep 30, 2026 at 09:14 PM
duncangr
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · A7r V Extrmemely Slow Filter Transfer Speeds (to PC)


Barbara Linkous wrote:
I think you’ve already done the most useful troubleshooting step by testing the same SD cards with your USB-C card reader. If you’re getting around 250 MB/s through the reader, the cards are clearly not the problem.

The 10–15 MB/s you’re seeing when the a7R V is connected directly to the computer points more toward the USB connection, cable, port, or camera USB settings. I’d try a known-good high-speed USB-C cable, connect directly to a USB 3.x port on the computer (not through a hub), and check the a7R V’s USB connection/transfer settings to make sure it isn’t operating in
...Show more →

The camera's USB-C port should give 10GB/s so it should be faster than the SD cards or SD card readers are capable of. Obviously it will be limited by the read speed of the cards though.




Sep 30, 2026 at 09:59 PM
raminolta
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · A7r V Extrmemely Slow Filter Transfer Speeds (to PC)


I am thinking about upgrading to CF Express cards. If anyone have gone from SDXC to CF Express, I am wondering if they have noticed an improvement in real life that is if the buffer clears faster, making the camera more responsive and ready to shoot quicker? Even with SDXC, I find it way faster that my old A7riii could ever be. With the latter, I often had to wait for the camera to clear the buffer before I could restart shooting.

I hope the USB C port of the camera is good. I will try to find another way to test it.



Sep 30, 2026 at 10:37 PM
duncangr
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #10 · A7r V Extrmemely Slow Filter Transfer Speeds (to PC)


raminolta wrote:
I am thinking about upgrading to CF Express cards. If anyone have gone from SDXC to CF Express, I am wondering if they have noticed an improvement in real life that is if the buffer clears faster, making the camera more responsive and ready to shoot quicker? Even with SDXC, I find it way faster that my old A7riii could ever be. With the latter, I often had to wait for the camera to clear the buffer before I could restart shooting.

I hope the USB C port of the camera is good. I will try to find another way to
...Show more →

You don't have to wait for the buffer to clear with the A7R6 - it will keep shooting as soon as there is any buffer space available.

The biggest reason I use CF Express is because of how long it takes to copy files to computer when you have 300GB if images - I will often have that amount or double that amount per day. That can take 10+ minutes to copy to computer on fast equipment.

If you do get CFExpress cards check the cards sustained READ speed - that is usually the limiting factor - some will read from a small cache quite fast initially but long reads can slow down a lot if the card doesn't have a fast sustained read speed.

I just get V400 cards now - not cheap but so far haven't had any problems. The Novachips 400GB type 4.0 v400 cards have been pretty reliable so far.



Oct 01, 2026 at 12:21 AM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

EB-1
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #11 · A7r V Extrmemely Slow Filter Transfer Speeds (to PC)


raminolta wrote:
I am thinking about upgrading to CF Express cards. If anyone have gone from SDXC to CF Express, I am wondering if they have noticed an improvement in real life that is if the buffer clears faster, making the camera more responsive and ready to shoot quicker? Even with SDXC, I find it way faster that my old A7riii could ever be. With the latter, I often had to wait for the camera to clear the buffer before I could restart shooting.

I hope the USB C port of the camera is good. I will try to find another way to
...Show more →

Are you shooting compressed in the a7RV, MS and 10FPS? CFe will allow continuous for quite a long time, whereas even the fastest SD UHS-II will be stopping sooner. And if you upgrade to a much faster camera like A1/II or a7RVI you will really want CFe. If you buy CFe cards look for the CFe 4 logo. Type A is rather limited by the single PCIe lane so although the cameras don't need the speed the readers can take advantage.

EBH



Oct 01, 2026 at 01:30 AM
Choderboy
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #12 · A7r V Extrmemely Slow Filter Transfer Speeds (to PC)


A7RV has Lossless Compressed RAW. File size varies with, in particular, detail in the file.
Therefore cannot be precise but can say, if using Lossless Compressed RAW, file size (average) should be smaller than A7RIII RAW.

SpecFoto wrote:
Remember that the A7RV raw files are 50% larger than the A7RIII files and most likely the file transfer protocol is the same (slow) speed. I always use a Fast external USB-C card reader for that reason and have no slowdown issues as previously experienced at times with my A7RIV and A7CR.

Don't use creators app, so no help there.





Oct 01, 2026 at 03:19 AM
Choderboy
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #13 · A7r V Extrmemely Slow Filter Transfer Speeds (to PC)


CF-E will make it less likely that you will fill the buffer.

"more responsive and ready to shoot quicker? "

Are you talking about ready to shoot after power on and or wakeup? Or not ready to shoot due to buffer filling?



raminolta wrote:
I am thinking about upgrading to CF Express cards. If anyone have gone from SDXC to CF Express, I am wondering if they have noticed an improvement in real life that is if the buffer clears faster, making the camera more responsive and ready to shoot quicker? Even with SDXC, I find it way faster that my old A7riii could ever be. With the latter, I often had to wait for the camera to clear the buffer before I could restart shooting.

I hope the USB C port of the camera is good. I will try to find another way to
...Show more →



Oct 01, 2026 at 03:27 AM
raminolta
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #14 · A7r V Extrmemely Slow Filter Transfer Speeds (to PC)


duncangr wrote:
You don't have to wait for the buffer to clear with the A7R6 - it will keep shooting as soon as there is any buffer space available.

The biggest reason I use CF Express is because of how long it takes to copy files to computer when you have 300GB if images - I will often have that amount or double that amount per day. That can take 10+ minutes to copy to computer on fast equipment.

If you do get CFExpress cards check the cards sustained READ speed - that is usually the limiting factor - some will read from a
...Show more →

Just to make sure, we are on the same boat: I am talking about A7r5. I wished I had the budget for A7r6! For now, it has to wait.




Oct 01, 2026 at 11:48 AM
EB-1
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #15 · A7r V Extrmemely Slow Filter Transfer Speeds (to PC)


Choderboy wrote:
A7RV has Lossless Compressed RAW. File size varies with, in particular, detail in the file.
Therefore cannot be precise but can say, if using Lossless Compressed RAW, file size (average) should be smaller than A7RIII RAW.



But a7RV lossless ARWs are limited to 7FPS, so throughput is not so different from 10FPS lossy compressed in that camera.

EBH



Oct 01, 2026 at 11:59 AM
raminolta
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #16 · A7r V Extrmemely Slow Filter Transfer Speeds (to PC)


EB-1 wrote:
Are you shooting compressed in the a7RV, MS and 10FPS? CFe will allow continuous for quite a long time, whereas even the fastest SD UHS-II will be stopping sooner. And if you upgrade to a much faster camera like A1/II or a7RVI you will really want CFe. If you buy CFe cards look for the CFe 4 logo. Type A is rather limited by the single PCIe lane so although the cameras don't need the speed the readers can take advantage.

EBH


I was shooting lossless compressed - large size raw. At some point, I decided to switch to APSC/SS35 mode just to try it out (I thought for macro photography, it can be helpful). I didn't realize the camera switched to Medium size. My files turned out much smaller (~ 30MB) and I forgot to switch back toFF! I am now back to FF lossless large raw. They are slightly smaller than A7r iii uncompressed raw files.

With A7r iii, buffer clearing was never instantaneous. Even for a single shot, I had to wait a moment before the camera was ready to shoot again. With A7r v, that is not the case even with my SDXC cards. Today I will go out to to shoot some photos in burst mode but this time in lossless compressed raw. I will see how fast it performs.

PS. The other problem with my current cards is that some video formats cannot be shot with them as the camera complains about the card being not fast enough. S&Q mode is not possible to use either as the camera demands a faster card!


Edited on Oct 01, 2026 at 12:17 PM · View previous versions



Oct 01, 2026 at 12:00 PM
raminolta
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #17 · A7r V Extrmemely Slow Filter Transfer Speeds (to PC)


Choderboy wrote:
CF-E will make it less likely that you will fill the buffer.

"more responsive and ready to shoot quicker? "

Are you talking about ready to shoot after power on and or wakeup? Or not ready to shoot due to buffer filling?



I was talking about not ready to shoot due to buffer filling which was the case with A7r iii (read my response to EB-1).

It is however true that A7r v is much faster than A7r iii to operate for a variety of reasons including the power on waiting lag being negligible or nearly instantaneous. With A7r iii, a cold power on could take some seconds! The vastly improved menu system and the thorough touch interface are other reasons making this camera so much more pleasant to use.




Oct 01, 2026 at 12:09 PM
EB-1
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #18 · A7r V Extrmemely Slow Filter Transfer Speeds (to PC)


I mostly used the compressed (lossy) RAW to get 10FPS.

EBH



Oct 01, 2026 at 12:38 PM
duncangr
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #19 · A7r V Extrmemely Slow Filter Transfer Speeds (to PC)


raminolta wrote:
Just to make sure, we are on the same boat: I am talking about A7r5. I wished I had the budget for A7r6! For now, it has to wait.



I think the same is true for the A7R5 - although I replaced mine a while ago - but I don't recall having to wait for the buffer to empty.



Oct 01, 2026 at 02:51 PM
raminolta
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #20 · A7r V Extrmemely Slow Filter Transfer Speeds (to PC)


Today I tested the connection between the camera and my laptop and I didn't have any issue. File transfer speed was in the 180MB/S range and no freezing occurred during the transfer. So I conclude the issue must be related to my desktop PC and the camera itself should be fine.

I also did some burst shots with lossless compressed raw for about 1-2 seconds. I noticed the buffer clears fast but not instantaneously. It took about 1-2 seconds for the buffer to clear as I was observing the transfer icon on the screen. However, the camera itself can still be used during the transfer time. This was not the case with A7r iii when the camera operation was put on hold until the buffer finished clearing. This was happening even for a single shot! To me this is another huge upgrade over A7r iii. Overall, I have concluded A7r v is a significant upgrade over A7r iii. I didn't know I have been missing all these important advantages all this time (some I haven't mentioned here).



Oct 01, 2026 at 05:00 PM







FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

    
 

Welcome back
Log in to your account