fredmiranda.com
Login

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
  

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

  

Why would you choose Nikon over the other brands?

  
 
michaelgunne
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Why would you choose Nikon over the other brands?


Hey folks,

I’m a Nikon guy for over 5 years now and I’m quite happy. Sometimes I look over the fence and see what’s going on at Sony, canon, Fuji, etc. Just out of curiosity and there is a lot of exciting stuff.

So, let’s do a little scenario. You win at a big photo competition (BPC) with your out of focus cat picture which was outstanding and put photography into a new perspective. The price: 10.000€/$. BUT in the same second a meteorite slams into your camera gear and destroys everything. So good time to start over again.

Let’s use the 10k we won. Would you invest into the Nikon ecosystem in 2026 again? What would you buy and why? What’s the reason you value Nikon higher than the other brands?

(Just for clarification. I didn’t win at a photo competition and I don’t plan to switch ecosystem. Just curious about people’s opinions with all the new releases)



Sep 30, 2026 at 11:42 AM
shinyobject
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Why would you choose Nikon over the other brands?


After shooting Fuji for ten years I wanted to try full frame, wanted to have improved autofocus, and wanted to have access to modern manual focus aids. Nikon offered these things at a good price. I’m very happy with my Z5II.

I haven’t gotten rid of my XT-3 yet. It’s worth more to me than the pittance I would get for selling it. I might even upgrade to another Fuji because the Fuji experience does have some special sauce.

One thing that I haven’t got used to yet completely in changing to Nikon are the ISO settings, which are a little more involved than Fuji, which just has a dial. I have no problem in principle with Nikon having a multi-dial system when choosing between auto ISO and manually selecting a single ISO value, but if it’s going to be more convoluted like that, I’d also like to be able to control the minimum shutter speed that auto ISO allows without having to go into the menus. Just a small thing that doesn’t often come up. I digress.

To answer your question, I’d probably go with Nikon again. I like the lens selection and UI. I’m sure I’d be very happy with Sony too once I found my lenses of choice.



Sep 30, 2026 at 01:02 PM
Vento
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · Why would you choose Nikon over the other brands?


It's hard to say, because—at least for me—investing in the Z system was a gradual process that spanned several years.
So it was never a case of, “Here’s 10 or even 20k—let’s go on a big shopping spree.”

It started with a Nikon Z6 Gen 1 and a Z 24-70/4 S kit zoom; the alternative at the time was the Sony A7III.
My main goal wasn’t even so much to build up an extensive collection of Z lenses, but rather to adapt my existing vintage Canon FD lenses—gems like the FD 85/1.2 L, FD 20-35/3.5 L, Mamiya 645 Sekor lenses, and various heirlooms in the M42 mount.
Since autofocus was a secondary consideration for me at the time—a better EVF and LCD were my main priorities for adapting my existing dozen or so manual-focus lenses—I ended up choosing a Nikon Z6 over the Sony A7III.

Back then, the Z6 was the right choice for me, and a lot more has built on that since.
Little by little, I added a Z 14-30/4 S, a Z 50/1.8 S, a Z MC 105/2.8 VR S, a Z 400/4.5 VR S, and a Z TC-1.4x.
I got rid of the Z 24-70/4 S kit zoom and replaced it with the Z 24-120/4 S.
Later on, I wanted better autofocus for action/wildlife/sports, so I got a Z8.
A Z 135/1.8 S Plena, and a few manual-focus lenses, such as the 35/2 Apo Lanthar Z and the Thypoch Simera 28/1.4 Z.

If I were to do it over today, I’d definitely invest a little less.
Sometimes less is more, and I can barely keep up with the sheer number of lenses I have—especially since I still love and use some of my vintage lenses.

For one thing, I’m with Nikon primarily because of the lenses—lenses like the Z 24-120/4 S, the Z 135/1.8 S Plena, and the Z 400/4.5 VR S.
For another, the Z8 was unbeatably affordable for its performance class.
I paid €3,400 just under two years ago; that price already includes the mandatory 20% VAT here.
For that price, all I could get from Sony right now is a Sony A7V—an A1 costs still €2,000 more, and an A1II costs more than €4,000 more—so there’s no comparison.

After enjoying the benefits of a fully stacked sensor with an extremely fast readout for two years with the Z8, there's no turning back for me now.
So Sony is out of the running—3/4 of the 10k budget would go just for the fully stacked body, so it's not an option.
Neither is the A1; it's still way too expensive, with no real added value compared to a Z8.
The price of the Z8 hasn't dropped here in two years, so it would still cost around €3,500 today—but that would be only 35% of the 10k budget, not 75% like with a Sony A1II.
Since I still frequently and happily use classic, high-quality manual-focus lenses, Nikon is also exemplary when it comes to manual-focus assists (manual-focus subject detection/face and eye detection).

So not much would change.
I’d end up with a Z8 again today, but I’d buy one or two fewer lenses—the Z 14-30/4 S and the Z MC 105/2.8 VR S are gathering dust on my shelf, or rather, they’ve been replaced by the Plena and the Apo Lanthar, including a multi-row nodal adapter, which allows me to achieve any desired field of view at Voigtländer Apo Lanthar quality in panoramic photography.

Canon would be an option today with the R5II, but I don’t have the lenses I’d find with Nikon or Sony.
Apart from that, Canon burned a bridge with me after switching from the FD mount to the EF mount.
Sure, from Canon’s perspective, it was the right move, but from the perspective of a photographer who’d invested many thousands of hard-earned dollars in the FD system, it wasn’t so funny.
It wasn’t until MILC came along that my old FD lenses were brought back to life, because before that, they could only be used without loss of quality in the FD mount.


Edited on Sep 30, 2026 at 02:03 PM · View previous versions



Sep 30, 2026 at 01:38 PM
Superscroll
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · Why would you choose Nikon over the other brands?


Yes because the glass, particularly S stuff.

Enjoyed my XT3 but while i kinda wish i'd held on to it as a pocket backup with the 33 1.4 there truly is no comparison to the Z stuff i have now.

Canon looks interesting but the lens choice is decidedly poor for folks after pro-sumer level tele stuff.



Sep 30, 2026 at 01:45 PM
RoamingScott
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · Why would you choose Nikon over the other brands?


Nikon is the most compelling option in the midrange. A Z5ii or Zf with something like a 50/1.8 or 24-120/4 will give you better images with more ease than any other comparable system, and it's the cheapest too.

There is also the extreme Tele niche that Nikon has dominated.

Canon is more compelling for the absolute beginner, and Sony can make a case for those that demand the highest performance out of their camera bodies.

Where Nikon has struggled is small, compact full frame cameras. Most of this is down to the sheer size of the Z mount...they can only make a camera so small. They have also not delivered any high quality compact lenses unlike their competition.



Sep 30, 2026 at 01:50 PM
fjablo
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · Why would you choose Nikon over the other brands?


I’d likely pick Nikon again because the system offers a good range of bodies and lenses at attractive price points. And I enjoy using Nikon cameras.

Sony would be tempting for access to Sigma, but I don’t love the user interface of Sony..

I like Canon ergonomics, but not a fan of the strictly closed RF mount.. but €10k should suffice to build a nice Canon kit too

Fuji X might be an option if the X-T6 fixes their autofocus. I was quite happy with the X-T1 and X-T3, but the Zf is just much better overall..



Sep 30, 2026 at 02:03 PM
sungphoto
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · Why would you choose Nikon over the other brands?


I've shot Canon, Sony, Fuji, Leica, even a little Pentax if you count my old K1000, but Nikon always pulls me back because they're in the goldilocks area for what I value in a camera system.

The ergonomics and control layout make the most sense to me, comfortable for 10+ hour days. The bodies wear well with heavy use (whereas Sonys look ratty as soon as they start getting some brassing on the corners). The colors are in the sweet spot (Fuji is on par, but I found Canon too warm and Sony ugly magenta), and reproduce well in print. Lenses are affordable, resolve well for the 45mp sensor, and I have a great choice of rendering looks between the modern Z-mount through legacy F-mount glass. Lighting integration with speedlites and strobes is great (hate the plastic MIS hotshoe on the Sony and TTL metering wasn't as good as Nikon and Canon with 3rd party speedlites). They seem like a camera company run by photographers, rather than a tech company that wants to squeeze out more money with largely incremental upgrades and hidden gotchas.



Sep 30, 2026 at 02:35 PM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

DWOfPaul
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · Why would you choose Nikon over the other brands?


I went from Nikon DSLR to Sony Mirrorless and now to Nikon Mirrorless as my main system. If I had to buy in again, I would go with Nikon Mirrorless. While I still have my Sony setup, Nikon just hits the sweet spot for my needs. I have never used a more well balanced camera that just gets out of my way and lets me take pictures than my Z8. Nikon is also at a much better price point for my needs. The closest Sony has to a Z8 is the a1II, which is basically twice the price. With 10k, I would basically get 1 camera and 1 lens with Sony.

As for other systems. I would want to stick FF. Canon is out due to the lack of support for third party lenses. The L mount is getting better and better, but they don't currently have a stacked sensor camera.



Sep 30, 2026 at 03:17 PM
michaelgunne
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · Why would you choose Nikon over the other brands?


Vento wrote:
It's hard to say, because—at least for me—investing in the Z system was a gradual process that spanned several years.
So it was never a case of, “Here’s 10 or even 20k—let’s go on a big shopping spree.”

It started with a Nikon Z6 Gen 1 and a Z 24-70/4 S kit zoom; the alternative at the time was the Sony A7III.
My main goal wasn’t even so much to build up an extensive collection of Z lenses, but rather to adapt my existing vintage Canon FD lenses—gems like the FD 85/1.2 L, FD 20-35/3.5 L, Mamiya 645 Sekor lenses, and various heirlooms
...Show more →
Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. I actually like that your Z journey started more because of the vintage glass than because you were trying to build a huge Nikon lens collection.

And the Z8 argument is pretty hard to ignore. Once you get used to a stacked sensor and that fast readout, I can see why going back to a slower sensor would feel like a downgrade. And getting that kind of performance without spending A1/A1 II money is a pretty big deal.

The manual-focus stuff is interesting too. I hadn’t really thought about Nikon’s MF assists being a reason to stay in the system, but if you’re regularly using FD/M42/Voigtländer glass, that suddenly matters a lot.

Also, I’m laughing at the “I’d buy fewer lenses” part. 😂 Probably the most realistic answer to the $10k scenario. The 24-120, Plena and 400/4.5 already cover a ridiculous amount of ground.



Sep 30, 2026 at 03:33 PM
michaelgunne
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #10 · Why would you choose Nikon over the other brands?


sungphoto wrote:
I've shot Canon, Sony, Fuji, Leica, even a little Pentax if you count my old K1000, but Nikon always pulls me back because they're in the goldilocks area for what I value in a camera system.

The ergonomics and control layout make the most sense to me, comfortable for 10+ hour days. The bodies wear well with heavy use (whereas Sonys look ratty as soon as they start getting some brassing on the corners). The colors are in the sweet spot (Fuji is on par, but I found Canon too warm and Sony ugly magenta), and reproduce well in print. Lenses
...Show more →

Yeah, “Goldilocks” is a good way to describe it Ergonomics and the lighting system are underrated too Sometimes it’s the little things that keep you with a system



Sep 30, 2026 at 03:35 PM
michaelgunne
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #11 · Why would you choose Nikon over the other brands?


Superscroll wrote:
Yes because the glass, particularly S stuff.

Enjoyed my XT3 but while i kinda wish i'd held on to it as a pocket backup with the 33 1.4 there truly is no comparison to the Z stuff i have now.

Canon looks interesting but the lens choice is decidedly poor for folks after pro-sumer level tele stuff.


Yeah, the S-line glass is a huge reason I’d stay with Nikon too. The telephoto options are especially interesting Canon’s lineup is probably the area I’d look at most closely before switching For anyone shooting wildlife or sports, lens availability can matter just as much as the body



Sep 30, 2026 at 03:37 PM
jjjwolf7722
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · Why would you choose Nikon over the other brands?


I honestly think Sony, Nikon, Canon are the exact same. They all have the same lens and camera quality. So I think all three are good options. My only Sony issue is all their service stuff is outsourced. You really cant go wrong with any of the above brands currently.


Sep 30, 2026 at 03:40 PM
ottokbre
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #13 · Why would you choose Nikon over the other brands?


RoamingScott wrote:
Nikon is the most compelling option in the midrange. A Z5ii or Zf with something like a 50/1.8 or 24-120/4 will give you better images with more ease than any other comparable system, and it's the cheapest too.

There is also the extreme Tele niche that Nikon has dominated.

Canon is more compelling for the absolute beginner, and Sony can make a case for those that demand the highest performance out of their camera bodies.

Where Nikon has struggled is small, compact full frame cameras. Most of this is down to the sheer size of the Z mount...they can only make a camera
...Show more →

There really is no denying these points. Nikon sort of dominates the cash to performance equation. I don't love a lot of choices they make but they tend to make the ones I can live with.

The Fuji proposition in the XT2/XT3 era was that you could get pro level bodies, compact glass with aperture rings and then step into pro level zooms and accessories like battery grips. It was awesome. But then they cranked up their prices, dropped grip support from their XT5 and went from kaizen to an upgrade only path, which given that their issues are often AF software related, sort of stinks. So the compromises they give me (APSC and Xtrans goofiness) has become slightly less tolerable to me.



Sep 30, 2026 at 03:52 PM







FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

    
 

Welcome back
Log in to your account