Recently returned from visiting my family in Japan, and wanted to share a couple of photos from their local neighborhood festival.
For those that haven't had the opportunity to see one of these, this is what might be termed "hyper-local", as in the attendees are from a couple of block radius, or otherwise are attached to that locality. In this case my in-laws aren't in the area (they live ~1.5km away) but their siblings, one of their daughters, and their grand-daughters all live there so that's the one they attend. Theirs is far bigger and at a shrine, less to their taste. The festival is held in the local playground, which is transformed into this for the night.
I have many more, but they are mostly family focused. I need to learn to shoot the atmosphere more consistently!
I also want to shout out the OM burst mode here. Given the lighting and exposure, that is the ONLY way I got the in-motion shots at night. I've never used a mode like this before (I'm not really a sports or action photog) and aside from the downside of sorting THOUSANDS of captures it was awesome.