fredmiranda.com
Login

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
  

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

  

canon rf lack of 28mm native lenses

  
 
ruslanrusu
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · canon rf lack of 28mm native lenses


hi here

what am i missing ? why so limited options of 28mm lenses available for rf mount ?

canon has 28/2.8 but is not great for zone, manual focus
voigtlander has 28ts for e/m/f mount but not for rf

did read here the threads about adaptability of m, but with limitations about fringing/colorcast and curvature. with somewhat success with r5m2 bis and limited success r6/r8

this makes me sad, im the only one thinking this is nuts

cheers



Sep 26, 2026 at 12:46 PM
Z250SA
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · canon rf lack of 28mm native lenses


Well, a huge majority of Canons zoom lenses cover 28mm: RF 14-35mm F4 L IS USM, RF 15-30mm F4.5-6.3 IS STM, Canon RF 15-35mm F2.8 L IS USM, RF 16-28mm F2.8 IS STM Lens, RF 20-50mm F4 L IS USM PZ, RF 24-50mm F4.5-6.3 IS STM Lens, RF 24-70mm F2.8 L IS USM, RF 24-105mm F2.8 L IS USM Z, RF 24-105mm F4 L IS USM, RF 24-105mm F4-7.1 IS STM, RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM. Pretty impressing. But no fast prime 28mm, no.

I have the 28mm pancake and like it a lot, both the size and image quality. But I´m mostly not into that shallow depth of field blured thing.

A 24mm lens on a full frame 45Mp sensor cropped to 28mm is about 33Mp. Mostly plenty.

The Zeiss ZE 28mm f/2 is very nice, love the colours. The Otus 28mm should do well too.

Edited on Sep 26, 2026 at 04:27 PM · View previous versions



Sep 26, 2026 at 04:24 PM
Gochugogi
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · canon rf lack of 28mm native lenses


Probably because 28mm is not popular with most photographers. It's all about making money, and if every Joe photog resonated with 28mm, we'd be swimming in them. However, 28mm was popular in ancient times—before 24mm and wider was common—and you can find lots of them on the used market if you're willing to use an adapter and/or focus manually.

I owned the RF 28 2.8 STM and strongly disliked using it—didn't match my mind's eye worth a darn—but love using 35mm and 50mm somehow. The RF 28 was not great along the corners and edges of the frame to boot. It was a relief to finally get rid that dad burn thang!



Sep 26, 2026 at 04:24 PM
Z250SA
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · canon rf lack of 28mm native lenses


Gochugogi wrote:
...I owned the RF 28 2.8 STM and strongly disliked using it—didn't match my mind's eye worth a darn—but love using 35mm and 50mm somehow. The RF 28 was not great along the corners and edges of the frame to boot. It was a relief to finally get rid that dad burn thang!


Without digging deeper into it, I suspect from some results that those blurry edges are a result of field curvature. I again struggle with the 35mm. How different we are.




Sep 26, 2026 at 04:34 PM
johnvanr
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · canon rf lack of 28mm native lenses


It’s a mystery to me why Voigtlander didn’t make the 28mm APO in the RF mount. Thypoch has a 28mm, but that lens doesn’t have any electronic contact with the camera.


Sep 26, 2026 at 04:38 PM
Gochugogi
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · canon rf lack of 28mm native lenses


Z250SA wrote:
Without digging deeper into it, I suspect from some results that those blurry edges are a result of field curvature. I again struggle with the 35mm. How different we are.



At F2.8, there are no corners on the RF 28 2.8 STM! When I turned off the lens profile in LR, the corners are black blanks. The profile stitches in image content by cropping, stretching and brightening the existing image circle, but still was too dark and murky. As you stop down to F5.6 to F8 it looks very good but I tended to use it at F2.8 the most.



Sep 26, 2026 at 05:05 PM
EB-1
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · canon rf lack of 28mm native lenses


ruslanrusu wrote:
hi here

what am i missing ? why so limited options of 28mm lenses available for rf mount ?

canon has 28/2.8 but is not great for zone, manual focus
voigtlander has 28ts for e/m/f mount but not for rf

did read here the threads about adaptability of m, but with limitations about fringing/colorcast and curvature. with somewhat success with r5m2 bis and limited success r6/r8

this makes me sad, im the only one thinking this is nuts

cheers


Canon is a high tech company that makes many modern lenses that cover 28mm, including the 28-70/2 and 24-70/2.8 IS. If you want the 20th century retro styles then Sony cameras with the Chinese lenses might be a better choice.

EBH



Sep 26, 2026 at 05:18 PM
RealaMan
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · canon rf lack of 28mm native lenses


I agree with your sentiment. I have the RF 28mm 2.8, which is a very good, compact lens. But for zone focusing I adapt SLR lenses, which work fine.


Sep 26, 2026 at 06:34 PM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

Z250SA
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · canon rf lack of 28mm native lenses


Gochugogi wrote:
At F2.8, there are no corners on the RF 28 2.8 STM! When I turned off the lens profile in LR, the corners are black blanks. The profile stitches in image content by cropping, stretching and brightening the existing image circle, but still was too dark and murky. As you stop down to F5.6 to F8 it looks very good but I tended to use it at F2.8 the most.


Ok, yes, at f/2.8 probably, no doubt. I´m usually at f/5.6 or 8 as well as on DPP thus working with the strengths of the lens. A way to stay happy!

If I needed shallow DoF I´d likely swing the Otus.



Sep 27, 2026 at 02:04 AM
Pixelpuffin
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #10 · canon rf lack of 28mm native lenses


Without a doubt my most used camera is my iPhone
Lens is equivalent to 28
I use it for everything simply because it’s on my person or by my side 24/7, never ever switched off… swipe left and I’m ready.

I have several (actually more) 28mm lenses for cameras - can’t remember the last time I used that focal length tho??

I just realised canon never did a L version of 28?? Thinking about it now, a fast 1.4L would probably have caught my eye.



Edited on Sep 27, 2026 at 11:23 AM · View previous versions



Sep 27, 2026 at 02:50 AM
Steve Spencer
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · canon rf lack of 28mm native lenses


I don't really see a lack of 28mm lenses for RF mount especially if you include easily adaptable EF mount lenses.

There is of course the RF 28 f/2.8 which is small AF and very light.

There is of course several excellent zooms in RF including the 28-70 f/2L, the 24-70 f/2.8L, the 15-35 f/2.8L, and the 28-70 f/2.8 IS STM.

If you can live without electronic contacts there is the quite nice Thypoch 28 f/1.4 with has a fast aperture and is small and light. And if you want a faster but larger manual focus lens with an RF mount (but again without electronic contacts) there is the quite capable Laowa 28 f/1.2. These lenses do allow zone focussing and work well for that type of shooting, but without electronic contacts you don't get electronic focus aids which is a shame.

If you want such focus aids, however, a good choice is the Zeiss ZE 28 f/2, which is a really nice classic lens that although a big larger works really well with the Canon EF to RF adapters. There is of course and EF mount version of the Otus 28 f/1.4, which I had at one point and although it is a boat anchor is a fantastically performing lens.

And if you want a fast AF lens there is the very nice performing Sigma 28 f/1.4 in EF mount that can also be used with the Canon EF to RF adapters as well as the Canon 28 f/1.8 and Canon 28 f/2.8 IS EF mount lenses.

So what is missing?

Well I agree with the OP that it is a shame Voigtlander didn't make there 28 f/1.5 and 28 f/2 APO in RF mount. It would be really nice to have these two lenses available for RF mount, but you can adapt the M mount versions with electronic focus aids if you can stand just a bit of a drop in performance on the edges and corners that likely occurs. They will work especially well with the R5 II and it back side illuminated sensor. That is likely a better proposition with the 28 f/1.5, but I haven't seen anyone who uses either lens on the R5 II. I have the an R5 II and the adapter to use these lenses so I might try it out sometime. If I do I will report back how well they work.



Sep 27, 2026 at 07:17 AM
Ripolini
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #12 · canon rf lack of 28mm native lenses


ruslanrusu wrote:
hi here
what am i missing ? why so limited options of 28mm lenses available for rf mount ?
canon has 28/2.8 but is not great for zone, manual focus
voigtlander has 28ts for e/m/f mount but not for rf


If you’re okay with a 28mm manual-focus lens with a non-native RF mount, get an old Nikkor AI-S 28/2 or the lighter Nikkor AI-S 28/2.8, attach a Novoflex Nikon-to-EF adapter (it has a great built quality), mount it on an EF-to-R adapter, and you’re all set! Sure, it’s not “native,” but who cares?
One of the advantages of mirror-less cameras is precisely their ability to accommodate virtually all SLR lenses!
Then there’s the Simera Thypoch 28/1.4 that Steve mentioned. According to several reviewers, to get uniform sharpness across the frame you have to close the aperture by 3-4 stops (at least).
Nobody knows if the E/Z/RF mount versions were tweaked for larger sensor stack thickness...
A couple of reviews:
https://opticallimits.com/nikon/nikon-z/thypoch-simera-28mm-f-1-4-z-review/
https://phillipreeve.net/blog/review-thypoch-simera-28mm-1-4/

I'm guessing that Voiglander doesn't make neither the 28/1.5 nor the 28/2 APO with an RF mount because Canon hasn't granted them a license for those lenses.

Z250SA wrote:
Well, a huge majority of Canons zoom lenses cover 28mm: RF 14-35mm F4 L IS USM, RF 15-30mm F4.5-6.3 IS STM, Canon RF 15-35mm F2.8 L IS USM, RF 16-28mm F2.8 IS STM Lens, RF 20-50mm F4 L IS USM PZ, RF 24-50mm F4.5-6.3 IS STM Lens, RF 24-70mm F2.8 L IS USM, RF 24-105mm F2.8 L IS USM Z, RF 24-105mm F4 L IS USM, RF 24-105mm F4-7.1 IS STM, RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM. Pretty impressing. But no fast prime 28mm, no.


You forgot this:
https://www.usa.canon.com/shop/p/rf28-70mm-f2-l-usm?color=Black&type=New
Yes, it's large, heavy and expensive. It's fast (f/2) and it's the go-to tool for many professional photographers.



Sep 27, 2026 at 08:32 AM
Recklesscoding
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #13 · canon rf lack of 28mm native lenses


Neither Sony nor Nikon seem to have bothered with 28mm primes beyond entry-level ones like the RF 28mm. Even Fujifilm which uses 28mm in its X100-series, only released a proper WR 28mm-equivalent X-mount lens in 2021 when they have done pretty much all other focal lengths at f/1.4. The focal length seems to have gotten less popular over the past couple of decades compared to 24mm and 35mm. A shame really as I am particularly fond of it.

Back to your question: arguably, you can get Sigma 28mm in EF which is the best 28mm. Or any of the myriad M-mount 28mm and adapt it.



Sep 28, 2026 at 04:41 PM
kakomu
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #14 · canon rf lack of 28mm native lenses


Gochugogi wrote:
Probably because 28mm is not popular with most photographers. It's all about making money, and if every Joe photog resonated with 28mm, we'd be swimming in them.


Bingo! 28mm peaked in the 1980s.

If I were to wager yet another opinion, optical technology progressed to a point where FAST 24mm lenses weren't just expensive, iffy lenses to get a specific look. 24mm became what 28mm was. I.e. the final wide angle focal length before becoming ULTRA wide angle. Another thing to consider, 28mm and 35mm are pretty similar, whereas 24mm is dramatically different. I imagine Canon doesn't want a premium 28mm lens to cut into 35mm f/1.4L sales.

As such, when it came time to build a premium prime lens in that wide angle category, they go with 24mm rather than 28mm. Then they can also sell the premium 35mm because it's "different enough" for the types that like collecting lenses.

Moreover, most of the (non-APS-C) normal zooms start at 24mm now, instead of 28mm like they used to.

It's not a hard and fast rule. Nikon made a 28mm f/1.4 in 2017. Canon made their RF 28-70 f/2L and most of Canon's APS-C normal zooms start at 18mm (28mm equivalent). Though, I feel like the last one is just a holdover from Canon's 90s era 28-80mm zooms, but I digress.

To me, 28mm strikes me as a "legacy" focal length. One that persists because it was so ubiquitous back in the manual 35mm film days. However, the RF 28mm lens is more of a gimmick than something someone seeks out for its unique look. It's Canon's one pancake lens for the RF generation (They also had an EF 40mm pancake lens, an EF-S 24mm pancake lens and an EF-M 22mm pancake lens), meant for having the least possible weight on the front of the camera.

That said, I'm still a sucker for the EF 28mm f/1.8. Though, if that's not your thing, I'm sure the RF 35mm f/1.8 IS or RF 24mm f/1.8 IS will suit your needs for a fast, wide angle prime lens for the RF mount.

You can always shoot at 24mm and crop to 28 mm



Sep 28, 2026 at 05:24 PM
freaklikeme
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #15 · canon rf lack of 28mm native lenses


Dig in and wait. Sony's got a great manual option, but otherwise it's the Sony FE 28/2 (which has a worse reputation than it deserves- it's a solid compact with corrections in post) and the Vitrox 28/1.8 (which has exactly the reputation it deserves) so it's not like it's all sunshine and roses in the E mount. I know quite a few people are hoping there's something to Sony's 28/1.8 rumor.


Sep 28, 2026 at 06:01 PM
ruslanrusu
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #16 · canon rf lack of 28mm native lenses


thanks all, great replies. stumbled on another gold thread . echoes same sentiment https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1956959/?b=2

i will just stick with 35mm then



Sep 28, 2026 at 09:38 PM







FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

    
 

Welcome back
Log in to your account