fredmiranda.com
Login

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
  

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

  

Old school

  
 
hokiejokey
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Old school


I still shoot with a 6d and a 7dii. I've got all L lenses. Never wanted to spend the money on mirrorless.

My local shop has a used 1dxii for $750. Is it worth "upgrading"? I haven't checked the shutter count or anything yet.

They also have a 600mm f/4 for $1800. Body is pretty beat up and I would have to check the glass.

Thoughts?



Sep 23, 2026 at 08:55 PM
Tom_W
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Old school


The 1DxII might be, though I'll defer to others that have used or still have one. It is a rugged beast of a camera and super fast.

If the 600 f/4L had good glass, $1800 might be good. IS, or not? I'm pretty sure that it is one that Canon no longer services. See if the shop offers some sort of warranty or satisfaction guarantee.



Sep 23, 2026 at 09:03 PM
Z250SA
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · Old school


My experience with the 1D line is with the 1DX. Boy was that a camera worth experiencing once in a lifetime! It was like the V6 Detroit Diesel I put in my boat, a big heavy powerful brute, but without the oil leakage and blue smoke at start up.

Both bodies have 20Mp. But I found my 1DX to have some added magic in the images that my otherwise nice 5D3 did not have. And the AF was simply superb. The visibly higher resolution of the 5D4 finally killed the 1DX, so avoid that one . Or any R except perhaps the RP and R itself, though it has the resolution of the 5D4. Any, any of the newer R bodies, well, you dont want to know if you like to love the oldies.

I have been drooling (virtually) on every cheap 600L on the net for the last twenty years, been hands on with none. But from all the reading I would avoid any version before the II. The II is said to be as excellent as any of the newer. Just heavier and front heavier. But optically as good as they are right now.



Sep 24, 2026 at 04:18 AM
Pixelpuffin
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · Old school


In your shoes I’d just grab a mintish 5d3 with low shutter count

5diii’s are now ludicrously cheap. The AF is better than the 6D.

The price jump between 5diii and 5div is basically leading into used mirrorless territory.

I thought the 1dx series was supposedly plagued by oil spatter on the sensor from the shutter??






Sep 24, 2026 at 04:48 AM
hokiejokey
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · Old school


I use the 6d mainly for still photo, portrait and landscape. Taking advantage of a full frame sensor for good image quality. The 7dii is the auto focus work horse. But I think the 1dxii works be better.

Pixelpuffin wrote:
In your shoes I’d just grab a mintish 5d3 with low shutter count

5diii’s are now ludicrously cheap. The AF is better than the 6D.

The price jump between 5diii and 5div is basically leading into used mirrorless territory.

I thought the 1dx series was supposedly plagued by oil spatter on the sensor from the shutter??





Sep 24, 2026 at 06:47 AM
hokiejokey
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · Old school


What is it I don't want to know about the R series?

Z250SA wrote:
My experience with the 1D line is with the 1DX. Boy was that a camera worth experiencing once in a lifetime! It was like the V6 Detroit Diesel I put in my boat, a big heavy powerful brute, but without the oil leakage and blue smoke at start up.

Both bodies have 20Mp. But I found my 1DX to have some added magic in the images that my otherwise nice 5D3 did not have. And the AF was simply superb. The visibly higher resolution of the 5D4 finally killed the 1DX, so avoid that one . Or any R except
...Show more →



Sep 24, 2026 at 08:06 AM
Mike Deep
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · Old school


I'd fall out of my wheelchair trying to get to a 1DXII for $750. And I'm still not far enough along in my rehab to comfortably weild a 1-series.

I shot primarly with a 1-series from 2010 until being put out of commission in 2023. IQ and performance considerations aside, those cameras are all about the handling. It was like an extension of myself.



Sep 25, 2026 at 06:52 AM
Jman13
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · Old school


hokiejokey wrote:
What is it I don't want to know about the R series?



I think they're saying that once you experience the speed and accuracy of focus, the outstanding in body stabilization and the significantly wider dynamic range, you're unlikely to want to use your DSLRs much any more.

There's certainly something to that (though using a quality DSLR is its own satisfying experience).



Sep 25, 2026 at 08:11 AM
tsangc
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · Old school


hokiejokey wrote:
The 7dii is the auto focus work horse. But I think the 1dxii works be better.



Jman13 wrote:
I think they're saying that once you experience the speed and accuracy of focus, the outstanding in body stabilization and the significantly wider dynamic range, you're unlikely to want to use your DSLRs much any more.

There's certainly something to that (though using a quality DSLR is its own satisfying experience).


I'm still using a 7D2 with my 300mm f2.8--just shot a charity soccer tournament with it. It still locks up very quickly and shoots all day. I think I shot a thousand images with a single battery, which is probably more than my R5 would, and there was still more than enough charge to shoot more.



Sep 25, 2026 at 09:24 AM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

Pixelpuffin
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #10 · Old school


I’ve just got back from sons football
2yr hiatus since last
The gripped 5diii and 100-400Lii has been in hibernation since. Charged the batteries and the blasted thing never missed a beat. The heavens opened and we both got soaked.
I had intended to try the R50 with 24-240, I fear it would not have survived



Sep 27, 2026 at 11:33 AM
rscheffler
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #11 · Old school


hokiejokey wrote:
I still shoot with a 6d and a 7dii. I've got all L lenses. Never wanted to spend the money on mirrorless.

My local shop has a used 1dxii for $750. Is it worth "upgrading"? I haven't checked the shutter count or anything yet.

They also have a 600mm f/4 for $1800. Body is pretty beat up and I would have to check the glass.

Thoughts?


Yes, 1DXII is worth it for that price. Much better responsiveness and AF performance than the 7DII. Just be sure it comes with the LP-E19 battery and the corresponding LC-E19 charger, not the LP-E4/4N and older charger, though that battery will also work in the 1DXII, it just won't maximize its performance. While I have not closely looked into it, my impression is that many if not all aftermarket batteries that are listed as LP-E19 alternatives may actually be chipped as LP-E4/4N instead. While the camera is a relative bargain, the Canon-branded battery is not cheap, nor is the Canon charger.

Which 600/4? Non-IS, IS v1?

As you may know, with the old lenses, you're basically on your own if it stops working, unless you can find a third party repair shop to service it. But apparently parts such as USM motors are hard to come by.

The original 600/4 was optically a good lens but relative to what you can get now, very heavy.

I'm 100% a mirrorless advocate because of the improved performance capabilities. But if you're getting what you need with the EF system, it's a great time to pick up a ton of high-end EF gear at relatively low prices.



Sep 27, 2026 at 01:29 PM
danski0224
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #12 · Old school


hokiejokey wrote:
I still shoot with a 6d and a 7dii. I've got all L lenses. Never wanted to spend the money on mirrorless.

My local shop has a used 1dxii for $750. Is it worth "upgrading"? I haven't checked the shutter count or anything yet.

They also have a 600mm f/4 for $1800. Body is pretty beat up and I would have to check the glass.

Thoughts?


Have you used a 1 series Canon for any length of time? Many complain about the size and weight.

I happen to prefer the 1D form factor (and adding a grip isn't the same), but the 1DX variants are limited to ~20 mp. I wish Canon would release a 1DsIV... but that seems unlikely.

There is a huge difference in the clarity through the viewfinder, at least to my eyes, compared to a "regular" Canon DSLR.

Will agree with a previous poster that there is something different with 1D files compared to the "regular" models, but this may only be apparent if you are using the Canon processing software, at least to generate the initial TIFF files.

As far as the 600mm goes, the first versions without IS are focus by wire and excellent optically. If/when it breaks, you are SOL. They are also considerably heavier than the later versions and have a not so small minimum focus distance.

Later models with IS are not much better as far as "repair" is concerned, because all but *maybe* the latest EF version are no longer supported by Canon, so repair might be impossible.

Didn't check, but would not be surprised if the 1DXII is also "obsolete" per Canon.

Hard call to make, but I know that I can't justify a new RF version and the camera to go with it.




Sep 27, 2026 at 08:13 PM
rscheffler
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #13 · Old school


This is the Canon Japan webpage that lists current and recently discontinued products that are still supported with after sales service: https://canon.jp/support/repair/period

It's in Japanese but can be easily translated.

1DXII is no longer supported by Canon. My understanding is that the end support dates at the above link is not a guarantee that service can be done until then. Support may end earlier if parts are no longer available.



Sep 27, 2026 at 08:48 PM
jojib
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #14 · Old school


Ditto comments about you might be out of luck if the 600mm breaks down. Last year I had my EF 85/1.2 L II repaired at Canon Canada. It was costly---~ CAD$ 1700. For that amount I could have added another $ 100 or so and got myself a brand new RF 85/1.4. However, I am a sucker for f/1.2 AF lenses (I also have the EF 50/1.2 L) thus I decided to get the 85L repaired---it looks brand new! If the 50L breaks down most likely I will just buy the RF 45/1.2.

Good luck!



Sep 27, 2026 at 09:16 PM
artsupreme
Online
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #15 · Old school


You can't go wrong with a 1DXII, especially coming from a 7DII if you aren't using it specifically for the extra reach. Big difference between a 7DII and 1DXII IMO, go for it.


Sep 27, 2026 at 10:58 PM
Mike Christy
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #16 · Old school


I just found a 1DX ii with <190k clicks and a very clean body and two batteries for $850 on FB market place. A wedding photographer switching to all mirrorless. And she was nice enough to include a Cfast card and reader for $50. I’ve been watching the B&S here, eBay, and market place for one. Took a little time and had to drive a couple hours to pick it up but there are deals out there on these.


Sep 30, 2026 at 07:08 AM
boldcolors
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #17 · Old school


I've maxed out on old-school lately. Yesterday I took my old EOS 30D for a spin, and I just ordered a 1Ds Mark II that appears to be in great working condition, with no obvious scratches and a clean display. Of course, the shutter count is unknown, so it could be anything. I just hope it holds together for a few more years.

I remember wanting this legendary camera so badly back in 2006, but like most people, I simply couldn't afford one. Then it left my radar for 20 years.

Compared to my modern gear, it's obviously a dinosaur from a technical perspective — and in terms of size, too — but I just love the old-school workflow, not to mention the files and tones those older Canons produce. I have to process my R8 files like crazy to get the same earthy warmth these cameras seem to deliver straight out of camera. And there is still a difference no matter what I do.

So in a way, the photography itself slows me down, but I make some of that time back in post because I need far less color editing.

Who knows, maybe in a few years we'll see Tesla owners complementing their driveways with an old-school V8, just for that deep, smooth and very much alive sound and a more "organic" accelleration. :-)



Oct 02, 2026 at 04:32 AM
rscheffler
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #18 · Old school


Mike Christy wrote:
I just found a 1DX ii with <190k clicks and a very clean body and two batteries for $850 on FB market place. A wedding photographer switching to all mirrorless. And she was nice enough to include a Cfast card and reader for $50. I’ve been watching the B&S here, eBay, and market place for one. Took a little time and had to drive a couple hours to pick it up but there are deals out there on these.


Still a lot of life left at 190k. My 1DX and 1DXII below back around when I transitioned to mirrorless in late 2022. The 1DXII however did receive a mirror box replacement under warranty within the first year and later had a shutter replacement, IIRC.

Amazingly, KEH bought both when they visited my local camera store for a buying event. TBH, I don't know how much I got for them as it was all lumped together with other things. I realize they like to do that to disguise how little they actually offer for individual items, but I was just glad to let these go without the hassle of private sales.




Oct 02, 2026 at 01:18 PM







FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

    
 

Welcome back
Log in to your account