p.1 #1 · Stupid me learned something new Canon R6 MK III firmware
I have been shooting Canon what 25 plus years so picked up a R6 MKIII and wanted to update firmware. no problems have done firmware updates 100's of times so go through the usually process when it got to the screen where you select ok for new Firmware it would pause then abort and go back to shooting mode, tried re-formatting card and uploaded Firmware to card still same issue. oh you can not have a third party battery grip on camera or a 3rd party battery once I removed the battery grip and installed the OE battery no issue stupid me but never to old to learn Lol
p.1 #6 · Stupid me learned something new Canon R6 MK III firmware
hbcj wrote:
You have to use the big wheel to enable OK button on the screen (it becomes back and yellow) then press OK Button in the center of the big wheel .
Still doesn't work if you have battery grip or non Canon batteries the minute I removed the battery grip and used the OE battery no issues
p.1 #7 · Stupid me learned something new Canon R6 MK III firmware
I'm convinced the battery grip on the newer models have some intelligence in them, eg they talk using a bus like I2C or SPI. That's why it took so long to see grips for the EOS R and the like from third parties. The older ones were just simple buttons, perhaps in a matrix.
Otherwise I couldn't see how the camera could detect the grip in the old days.
ETA: I guess there's been a UART in the grip for a while...the firmware hackers have been using those pins to get access to the camera OS terminal shell/debug:
...but I didn't think the grips have a small microprocessor in them until lately. The older models do not, but the provision for serial communication was left in the header. I guess the R series grips in fact do have a microprocessor of some sort, maybe anticipating more advanced controls like touch strips or fingerprint readers for biometrics. That's likely how they detect this extra option is attached.
p.1 #8 · Stupid me learned something new Canon R6 MK III firmware
Ray Still wrote:
Still doesn't work if you have battery grip or non Canon batteries the minute I removed the battery grip and used the OE battery no issues
But is that requirement an AND or OR? It's understandable that Canon does not trust the foreign batteries, but an LP-E6P or two in the grip should be supported.
p.1 #9 · Stupid me learned something new Canon R6 MK III firmware
EB-1 wrote:
…
But is that requirement an AND or OR? It's understandable that Canon does not trust the foreign batteries, but an LP-E6P or two in the grip should be supported.
As always, if you read and follow Canon's instructions—which have been the same for years—it will work. If not, you might run into problems. -> „Before the firmware update, please remove the lens, external Speedlite and all other accessories from the camera“