fredmiranda.com
Login

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
  

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

  

Night sky and landscape lens

  
 
johnohio
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Night sky and landscape lens


Need some help choosing a lens. I am primarily a wildlife photographer Canon R5, but would like to experiment with night sky and have a possible Utah trip ( landscapes ) on my horizon. Is there a single good choice for both ? Or will I need two lens ? Thoughts ?

Thanks in advance

John



Sep 15, 2026 at 03:54 PM
stanj
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Night sky and landscape lens


If you say night sky, we have to be clear whether the emphasis is on night or sky. If it's the former, then pretty much anything will do, ideally 2.8 or faster. If the emphasis is on sky, then there's a definite winner - that's 14mm, as fast as possible. I used to have the Sigma 1.8 art, and then the canon 1.4 came out and I was immediately in love. Half the size, half the weight, double the price, totally worth it.




  Canon EOS R5    14mm F1.8 DG HSM | Art 017 lens    14mm    f/1.8    30s    2000 ISO    +1.3 EV  






  Canon EOS R5    14mm F1.8 DG HSM | Art 017 lens    14mm    f/1.8    13s    4000 ISO    +1.3 EV  






  Canon EOS R5m2    14mm F1.8 DG HSM | Art 017 lens    14mm    f/2.2    15s    6400 ISO    0.0 EV  






  Canon EOS R5m2    14mm F1.8 DG HSM | Art 017 lens    14mm    f/2.2    15s    6400 ISO    0.0 EV  






  Canon EOS R5m2    14mm F1.8 DG HSM | Art 017 lens    14mm    f/2.5    5s    800 ISO    -0.7 EV  






  Canon EOS R5m2    14mm F1.8 DG HSM | Art 017 lens    14mm    f/2.0    4s    1600 ISO    -1.7 EV  






  Canon EOS R5m2    RF14mm F1.4 L VCM lens    14mm    f/2.0    15s    3200 ISO    0.0 EV  






  Canon EOS R5m2    RF14mm F1.4 L VCM lens    14mm    f/1.4    25s    3200 ISO    +2.3 EV  






  Canon EOS R5m2    RF14mm F1.4 L VCM lens    14mm    f/1.4    30s    3200 ISO    +1.3 EV  




Sep 15, 2026 at 04:06 PM
johnohio
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · Night sky and landscape lens


Thanks Stan. I love all your ( Night sky )images. Just goes to show how green I am, don't even know the right terminology. I was thinking stars and possible Northern lights ? Thank you I value your knowledge and experience.

John

P.S. Beautiful images



Sep 15, 2026 at 05:25 PM
stanj
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · Night sky and landscape lens


If you want stars / northern lights, you want as wide and as fast as possible, and for that the 14/1.4L is absolutely unbeatable. It's so tiny, too, which counts for a lot. Decidedly sharper than the Sigma. It's an amazing package.


Sep 15, 2026 at 05:47 PM
Al Trujillo
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · Night sky and landscape lens


Stan...congratulations on such a wonderful series of images - love them!

Regarding #3, I've seen daytime images of those trees before but can't place them - Madagascar?

If you haven't already let me encourage you to post them in the Landscape Thread. You have some strong images that might place well in the weekly 'best of' competition. Thanks for sharing these.

Al



Sep 16, 2026 at 07:04 AM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

kylebarendrick
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · Night sky and landscape lens


I'll throw in a vote for a fast 20-24mm lens as well. Stan shared some great examples of what you can do with 14mm. I like carrying a 24mm along with the 14mm so I can shoot what fits the composition. When it works, I like that he 24mm can fill the sky with the best part of the Milky Way. The 24mm f/1.4 VCM has proven excellent for this. If I hadn't already bought it, I'd probably favor the 20mm for its slightly wider view.


Sep 16, 2026 at 12:51 PM
Z250SA
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · Night sky and landscape lens


Just a few practical details. The main reason not to use too long exposures are that stars should stay as points, not become streaks. I mainly use a Zeiss 15/2.8 ZE on a R5. A 5s exposure at ISO 3600-5000 is usually ok. A good enough f/1.4 should be a wonderful tool to keep exposures short and ISO low enough.

For comets with pronounced tails a longer FL is usually beneficial. My Milvus 35/1.4, Otus 100/1.4 or ZE 135/2 are nice. But the exposure times must be kept faster to avoid those ugly star streaks. A tracking device on the tripod does magic. A flimsy tripod is a disaster, sooner rather than later. Keep the leggs short if windy.



Sep 16, 2026 at 04:17 PM
stanj
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · Night sky and landscape lens


Al Trujillo wrote:
Regarding #3, I've seen daytime images of those trees before but can't place them - Madagascar?


Thanks for the kind words, Al. These are the quiver trees in southern Namibia. They look similar to the trees in Socotra in shape and size, but are tiny compared to the trees in Madagascar (still on the list).

And yes longer lenses are also helpful, but once you have the 14, you can't go back




  Canon EOS R5m2    RF24mm F1.4 L VCM lens    24mm    f/1.8    1/250s    6400 ISO    0.0 EV  






  Canon EOS R5m2    RF24mm F1.4 L VCM lens    24mm    f/1.4    1/2s    6400 ISO    0.0 EV  






  Canon EOS R5m2    RF20mm F1.4 L VCM lens    20mm    f/2.0    20s    6400 ISO    0.0 EV  






  Canon EOS R5m2    RF50mm F1.4 L VCM lens    50mm    f/1.4    5s    3200 ISO    0.0 EV  






  Canon EOS R5m2    RF20mm F1.4 L VCM lens    20mm    f/1.4    6s    3200 ISO    +2.0 EV  






  Canon EOS R5m2    RF50mm F1.4 L VCM lens    50mm    f/2.0    15s    3200 ISO    +3.3 EV  




Sep 16, 2026 at 08:43 PM
johnohio
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · Night sky and landscape lens


kylebarendrick wrote:
I'll throw in a vote for a fast 20-24mm lens as well. Stan shared some great examples of what you can do with 14mm. I like carrying a 24mm along with the 14mm so I can shoot what fits the composition. When it works, I like that he 24mm can fill the sky with the best part of the Milky Way. The 24mm f/1.4 VCM has proven excellent for this. If I hadn't already bought it, I'd probably favor the 20mm for its slightly wider view.


Hi Kyle. Thanks for your comments. I appreciate you responding. Always good to have multiple opinions.

John



Sep 18, 2026 at 01:31 PM
johnohio
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · Night sky and landscape lens


Z250SA wrote:
Just a few practical details. The main reason not to use too long exposures are that stars should stay as points, not become streaks. I mainly use a Zeiss 15/2.8 ZE on a R5. A 5s exposure at ISO 3600-5000 is usually ok. A good enough f/1.4 should be a wonderful tool to keep exposures short and ISO low enough.

For comets with pronounced tails a longer FL is usually beneficial. My Milvus 35/1.4, Otus 100/1.4 or ZE 135/2 are nice. But the exposure times must be kept faster to avoid those ugly star streaks. A tracking device on the
...Show more →

Thanks for pointing things out. I always say " you don't know, what you don't know". Thank you.

John



Sep 18, 2026 at 01:34 PM







FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

    
 

Welcome back
Log in to your account