fredmiranda.com
Login

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
  

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       …       29              31       32       end
  

New Lenses?

  
 
arbitrage
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.30 #1 · New Lenses?


Those 300/2x vs 600 look so close. Yes I'd give the win to the 600 but they are way too similar to matter.

All that is going to matter is the AF performance. I really hope the lack of TCs will give the 600 a bigger advantage than it has in the IQ department.

I still will buy the 600 just to have that 840/9 option. But the 300GM is impressing once again in the IQ department.



Sep 24, 2026 at 07:59 PM
pdog109
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.30 #2 · New Lenses?


I can tell a difference between the 600 6.3 and 300+2x TC which makes me feel good about ordering 600 6.3, and if its noticeable near MFD it should be more pronounced difference at distance? Yeah all the talk about MFD, i don't get it, if your shooting birds, how often are you within even 5m of a bird? I can sometimes get close to that if i go ninja creep mode, or get lucky but more often 5-10m range and beyond. Of course for small birds ideally you want to be within 10m but thats not often the case. But now i might have to sell for 300 for sure lol.


Sep 24, 2026 at 08:01 PM
James Burden
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.30 #3 · New Lenses?


arbitrage wrote:
Those 300/2x vs 600 look so close. Yes I'd give the win to the 600 but they are way too similar to matter.

All that is going to matter is the AF performance. I really hope the lack of TCs will give the 600 a bigger advantage than it has in the IQ department.

I still will buy the 600 just to have that 840/9 option. But the 300GM is impressing once again in the IQ department.


What Geoff said.... 😉



Sep 24, 2026 at 08:33 PM
deevee
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.30 #4 · New Lenses?


Was debating about the 2 lenses and after watching this video

, I decided to go with the 400mm
Based on my experience , anything longer than 600mm would encounter atmospheric interferences so I hardly shoot beyond that range
On my recent Ecuador birding trip the 300mm + both TCs suffice
The 400mm is lighter , cheaper , and allows me a 800mm reach with 2X and 1200mm at crop mode if needed (Software enlargement could come to the rescue if need more res)
I value the brighter aperture to the extra reach (Owls need light!!!)
You can go longer with 400mm but you can't get shorter with 600mm
I could buy both but for my international travels I prefer to carry only 1 or 2 lenses at most (the 300mm is a must + 1 more)
Great time for birding IMHO
Of course YMMV


Edited on Sep 25, 2026 at 08:01 AM · View previous versions



Sep 24, 2026 at 08:50 PM
RikWriter
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.30 #5 · New Lenses?


deevee wrote:
Based on my experience , anything longer than 600mm would encounter atmospheric interferences so I hardly shoot beyond that range


That has not been my experience at all.



Sep 24, 2026 at 10:46 PM
EB-1
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.30 #6 · New Lenses?


deevee wrote:
Was debating about the 2 lenses and after watching this video , I decided to go with the 400mm
Based on my experience , anything longer than 600mm would encounter atmospheric interferences so I hardly shoot beyond that range
On my recent Ecuador birding trip the 300mm + both TCs suffice
The 400mm is lighter , cheaper , and allows me a 800mm reach with 2X and 1200mm at crop mode if needed (Software enlargement could come to the rescue if need more res)
I value the brighter aperture to the extra reach (Owls need light!!!)
I could buy both but for my
...Show more →

I've used a 600/4 with 1.4x quite a bit in Ecuador in the 2020s. The effect of atmosphere is dependent on distance. If you are fairly close for a teenager or other small bird it's plenty sharp, unlike using a 500/4 for a full body shot of a giraffe in the Mara that looks like a wavy mirage.

If the 400/4.5 with the 1.4x is as good as the 600/6.3 (unlikely) it would be more versatile for sure. I really need to see what it does on the a7rVI, but I'm leaning towards the 600/6.3 if I'm not doing the small birds. 600mm is longer than 560mm.

EBH



Sep 24, 2026 at 11:10 PM
deevee
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.30 #7 · New Lenses?


Interesting video discussing about the merits of both lenses vs the zooms and the 300mm, comparing lens design (basically the same lens) , and comparing the 400mm to Nikon design and why the Sony is lighter
Also prediction on the next 400mm 2.8 and 600mm f4
A bit nerdy but quite educational (full youtube version will have English caption)


Cheers,



Sep 25, 2026 at 08:18 AM
biggles2002
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.30 #8 · New Lenses?


I wonder if the length of 400/4.5+ 1.4xTC is exactly the same as the 600/6.3?




Sep 25, 2026 at 09:02 AM
deevee
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.30 #9 · New Lenses?


A full comparo between 400mm + 1.4TC vs 600mm
400mm F4.5 GM + 1.4× 600mm F6.3 GM

Effective focal length 560mm 600mm
Max aperture f/6.3 f/6.3
Length ~276 mm / 10.9" 263 mm / 10.35"
Lens weight 994 g 995 g
TC weight 167 g —
Total weight ~1,161 g / 2.56 lb 995 g / 2.19 lb
Diameter 108 mm 108 mm
Price $2,699 + ~$550 $3,699



Sep 25, 2026 at 01:51 PM
valmofab
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.30 #10 · New Lenses?


I ordered the 400mm f/4.5 for my A7R 6; it will give me a 600mm equivalent at 28 MP in APS-C mode and a 400mm shot at 67 MP.

I considered the 600mm f/6.3, but the 400mm won out due to its price and versatility.

I already own the 300mm f/2.8 along with the 1.4x and 2x teleconverters.
I’m hoping the 400mm f/4.5 performs similarly to the 300mm f/2.8 with the 1.4x TC.

The 2x TC with the 300mm is decent, but I never use it; I prefer using APS-C mode on the 300mm f/2.8 or the 420mm f/4 setup.

The current issue with my 420mm f/4 setup (using the 1.4x TC) is that video autofocus in Super 35 mode at 120fps doesn't work as well; I experience focus loss on moving subjects. On the other hand, the 300mm f/2.8 on its own works much better at 120fps in Super 35 mode.

I hope the 400mm f/4.5 will perform just as well without a teleconverter.

Weight is a major factor for me; I’m going to compare the two systems, and if the new 400mm f/4.5 matches the 300mm f/2.8 + 1.4x TC, I’ll probably sell the 300mm f/2.8 😅—even though it’ll be hard to part with.

But weight is crucial for hiking in the Alps.

I think deliveries in Europe will start next week.



Sep 25, 2026 at 03:28 PM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

dfreese
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.30 #11 · New Lenses?


Why use apsc mode and not just crop?

valmofab wrote:
I ordered the 400mm f/4.5 for my A7R 6; it will give me a 600mm equivalent at 28 MP in APS-C mode and a 400mm shot at 67 MP.

I considered the 600mm f/6.3, but the 400mm won out due to its price and versatility.

I already own the 300mm f/2.8 along with the 1.4x and 2x teleconverters.
I’m hoping the 400mm f/4.5 performs similarly to the 300mm f/2.8 with the 1.4x TC.

The 2x TC with the 300mm is decent, but I never use it; I prefer using APS-C mode on the 300mm f/2.8 or the 420mm f/4 setup.

The current issue with my
...Show more →



Sep 25, 2026 at 03:36 PM
EB-1
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.30 #12 · New Lenses?


dfreese wrote:
Why use apsc mode and not just crop?


Sorry to interject, but the file sizes are much smaller with the a7rVI set to "APS-C S35: On" so the buffer runs far longer before filling.

EBH




Sep 25, 2026 at 04:12 PM
dfreese
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.30 #13 · New Lenses?


Fair. Seems like a loss of potential on closer subjects, but I guess I get it.

EB-1 wrote:
Sorry to interject, but the file sizes are much smaller with the a7rVI set to "APS-C S35: On" so the buffer runs far longer before filling.

EBH





Sep 25, 2026 at 05:50 PM
mudlake
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.30 #14 · New Lenses?


dfreese wrote:
Why use apsc mode and not just crop?


I always use apsc mode when shooting things like small birds when I’m at a distance and know I’m going to crop more anyway later. No reason to shoot full frame, large images when I’m going to crop 70-80% later.



Sep 25, 2026 at 05:52 PM
EB-1
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.30 #15 · New Lenses?


I don't use APS-C crop, just pointing it out. I'd much rather have an APS-H type of crop like 1D IV so ~40MP rather than ~29MP. That would be enough sometimes and still 60% of the file sizes.

EBH



Sep 25, 2026 at 06:13 PM
dfreese
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.30 #16 · New Lenses?


I suppose. Just feels less flexible if something gets close.

mudlake wrote:
I always use apsc mode when shooting things like small birds when I’m at a distance and know I’m going to crop more anyway later. No reason to shoot full frame, large images when I’m going to crop 70-80% later.




Sep 25, 2026 at 06:13 PM
mudlake
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.30 #17 · New Lenses?




dfreese wrote:
I suppose. Just feels less flexible if something gets close.



It’s actually extremely flexible. I just mapped crop mode to one of my buttons. When I need to go back to full frame it takes 1/10th of a second.



Sep 25, 2026 at 07:23 PM
deevee
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.30 #18 · New Lenses?


I do APSC mode a lot since it saves a lot of disk space and I know the photo will be cropped anyway ....Kind of poor man's extra reach if you will
Max 900mm with my 300 + 2xTC
WIth the 400 + 2X, I'll get 1200mm for free , WoW
No need to get a crop camera



Sep 25, 2026 at 07:44 PM
Jack Flesher
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.30 #19 · New Lenses?


deevee wrote:
I do APSC mode a lot since it saves a lot of disk space and I know the photo will be cropped anyway ....Kind of poor man's extra reach if you will
Max 900mm with my 300 + 2xTC
WIth the 400 + 2X, I'll get 1200mm for free , WoW
No need to get a crop camera


Do you guys also adjust ISO and aperture for focal equivalency when you switch to APSC? Asking for a friend.



Sep 25, 2026 at 07:55 PM
mudlake
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.30 #20 · New Lenses?




Jack Flesher wrote:
Do you guys also adjust ISO and aperture for focal equivalency when you switch to APSC? Asking for a friend.

Hey Jack. That’s too much for me to worry about. 🙂



Sep 25, 2026 at 08:35 PM
1       2       3       …       29              31       32       end






FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       …       29              31       32       end
    
 

Welcome back
Log in to your account