Congratulations to thedutt for winning Feature Thread of the Week with 6 votes - View Previous Winners
My family lives there and this trip I decided to do some street photography as an excuse to slow down, walk unfamiliar streets, make eye contact with strangers, and, for a brief moment, step into their world. c&c is always appreciated - im getting back into street work after almost 20 years of hiatus into wildlife
I saw this “atta mill” worker across the street, covered in a layer of flour dust, taking a short break We exchanged a glance, acknowledged each other’s presence, and he allowed me to capture him in his element. The quiet purpose he was striking—it’s a kind of focus I’ve rarely seen in many modern offices.
There was the holy man, flanked by his enthusiastic “marketing team” outside a temple, who first gave me a stern look before breaking into a pose.
A sanitation worker simply going about his day, doing the invisible work that keeps this chaotic city moving.
A weathered tailor that I was invited to photograph - as I tried to capture decades of craftsmanship through my lens, he never once stopped working.
And perhaps the most memorable was a street florist. She and her family live where they sell flowers, hand-making every garland together. I walked past at first, hesitant to take her photo, but I’m so glad I turned back and asked for her permission. She welcomed me with warmth, grace, and a smile into her home.
These brief encounters of resilience, dignity, purpose, and humanity are the moments that inspire and stay with me. A few more from the outing:
Yeah, great. I've been going there since 1978, and still do so. People don't realise India is the spiritual heart of the world, the birthplace of two world religions, and the early Vedic phase is thought by many to be the basis for Christian doctrine. The country was incredibly sophisticated in Alexander's time (325 BC), an intellectual powerhouse fueled by Buddhism philosophy and the Vedic system.
This selection does however convey a false impression of the massive progress the country is making, while still having many serious social issues. People in the West need to see more than those struggling at the bottom of the social order, wonderful human beings that they nevertheless are.
'India's middle class accounts for roughly 31% of the country's population and expands at an annual rate of 6.3%, putting India on track to surpass China in total middle-class size between 2030 and 2035.' These people are everywhere I go, in fact there are too many of them!
This is an understatement from AI: 'India's real annual GDP growth rate stands at approximately 7.8% as of early 2026, outpacing most major global economies.'
India was 15% of world GDP in 1820, in fact it accounted for 28% of world GDP in the year 1200. It will rise again, and it won't take very long. Right now, it's 3.3% of world GDP (more using PPP).
The suggestion I would make is to produce some work in color. I know it's trendy, but B&W drains images of life and vitality as well as image depth. thanks again.
As usual, excellent work Aditya! They are all excellent. If I had to pick favorites, it would probably be #'s 1, 4, & 10.
As for the comments about color, I very much disagree that the B&W treatment detracts from the "life and vitality as well as image depth". In fact, in my opinion color tends to mask both tonal transitions and contrast in this genre of photography -- those two qualities are what give the images depth.
P.S. Edit: After another look I would have to add #3 as a favorite. The image balance of the sanitation worker on the right with the 'Grackle' on the left is wonderful.
As a "westerner" views of other cultures sometimes, MOST times, is only what the "media" wants you to see. Not the real culture..
Wonderful! I feel "part" of the frame!
As a footnote..sewing has become a lost art here in America..I need custom covers for my outdoor patio..They ALL come from the "Far East".
These are fabulous. I love how they place the subjects in their environment and capture them in a casual yet artful way that feels like you are in the zone with them. A welcome and refreshing change from the deluge of images we see from India of colorful, wrinkled, powdered faces with out-of-focus backgrounds and such tight crops that we have no sense of place or purpose for any of the subjects being captured. Excellent work.
What a great set. Magnificent black and whites, especially the tailor. Great processing, too. I'm pretty sure you had no softboxes, yet the lighting is practically studio quality. No racoon eyes, tack sharp, soft shadow edges - these are just beautiful. I don't have enough superlatives.
I want to endorse the use of B&W here. The colours are so wonderful in India that most cannot resist the temptation, but the black and white reveal quite a different view of the landscape and the people and, as is the case here, can be quite thought provoking.