The LLL people are really decent regarding responsiveness to inquiries. As I said above on p13, I asked them for some information regarding focus breathing, because this and similar lenses are good candidates for high end content creation / indie / sole operators - to my mind at least.
background: We can expect a fair degree of focus breathing in highly specified 35mm 'stills only' lenses - the focal length seems to be problematic, as witnessed in Sony's GM 35/1.4 (details by inksandpaper here: https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1695782/35).
This review below also takes a solid look early on at the extent of focus breathing in the 35/2 APO-Lanthar, and issues a passing comment on the Leica APO-Summicron-M having the same issue (very hard to find on the web on this M lens):
YT Title: 'Voigtlander 35mm f/2 APO Lanthar for Nikon Z - what do we think?' (at 2:25)
(courtesy: Grays of Westminster)
Cameralabs reports 11% magnification for the APO-Lanthar, another data observation.
LLL kindly sent me a short near focus (but informative) rack focus, but it saves at 16mb. It came across email fine so if anyone shares my interest on this issue, pls PM me and I'll try to pass it on. In summary, it appears similar to the other two 35mm APOs mentioned above.
philip_pj wrote:
The LLL people are really decent regarding responsiveness to inquiries.
Please ask LLL when Fred will get his review copy!
I think what strikes me about some of Roman's samples, such as the skateboarder over the garbage can, is that if it's wide open, the background rendering is quite smooth AND consistent across the frame. So many 35mm M-mount lenses look great in the central 2/3 of the frame but then fall apart in the periphery.
rscheffler wrote:
Please ask LLL when Fred will get his review copy!
I think what strikes me about some of Roman's samples, such as the skateboarder over the garbage can, is that if it's wide open, the background rendering is quite smooth AND consistent across the frame. So many 35mm M-mount lenses look great in the central 2/3 of the frame but then fall apart in the periphery.
That's usually related to optical vignetting and field curvature. I've noticed it in the LLL's samples as well, so it may do well on those two fronts, meaning it's not just well corrected for color error, but also for curvature and vignetting.
Noritsu scans back from the lab from the MP & LLL 35 APO. I haven't got the negatives back myself, but I will be rescanning them because there's some weird jaggies and aliasing when you look at these TIFFS on closer inspection. 000182770038 by Roman France, on Flickr