fredmiranda.com
Login

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
  

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1              3       end
  

A new super telephoto zoom will arrive in September

  
 
RobAmy
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · A new super telephoto zoom will arrive in September


Not sure about this one. My RF 100-300 f2.8 is outstanding as a 200-600 f5.6. It also makes a great 100-300 f2.8 and 140-420 f4. Basically 3 lenses in one. Granted I am capped at 600mm f5.6 vs 840 f8. However I really am not a big fan of f8 shooting. Now if this was a f4 lens making an 840mm f5.6, I would get one. I guess price with be the big factor.


Jul 31, 2026 at 11:51 AM
gkinard1952
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · A new super telephoto zoom will arrive in September


Same lens reported by CR to be launched before the end of 2025!


Jul 31, 2026 at 12:00 PM
Tom_W
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · A new super telephoto zoom will arrive in September


Of course the 300-600 f/5.6 L will be out - now that I've settled into the 200-800.

Actually, the price category will not be the same, I'm sure. Something to look forward to in the future, but I'm not in a hurry.

Now, 10-15 years ago, yeah, I'd be in a hurry. GAS is real.



Jul 31, 2026 at 04:28 PM
p_g_c_
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #4 · A new super telephoto zoom will arrive in September


Yea, it always has to happen to someone.

I'm patiently waiting for RoamingScott to take the plunge and buy the Nikon Z 14-28mm S so that the following week Nikon can finally announce the S II.



Jul 31, 2026 at 05:07 PM
Steve Spencer
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #5 · A new super telephoto zoom will arrive in September


EB-1 wrote:
I'm too old to be using such a lens in 8-10 years. I really don't like primes unless necessary like the 600/4. Primes end up creating images that require cropping far too often or being too tight sometimes.

EBH


For me, I will retire in 8 to 10 years and I just wouldn't use it enough until then. I will likely rent it a few times between now and retirement and if I like it enough, I will get it when I retire and have time to shoot more. That is the plan at least and maybe it will work out that way.



Jul 31, 2026 at 05:34 PM
Steve Spencer
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #6 · A new super telephoto zoom will arrive in September


Mike_5D wrote:
That's an interesting combination of focal length and aperture. Not really long, and not really fast. Besides surf photography, who's it for? Definitely not sports professionals who need f/2.8 for night games. I guess wildlife, but you lose a stop of light vs the 500/4 or 600/4 and it's likely massive and expensive compared to a 100-500.


The EF sports zoom was of course the 200-400 f/4L with a built-in TC. I am guessing the RF replacement for that lens is still to come and isn't this lens.I think that lens will be something like a 250-500 f/4.5 with a built-in TC and it will be a bit bigger than this lens, more expensive, and obviously a bit wider aperture. That's my guess anyway. I don't see this lens as a replacement really in any way for the 200-400 f/4L unless you always used the TC with that lens.

Oh and I think this lens is very much a lens for wildlife shooters and will work well for that.



Jul 31, 2026 at 05:39 PM
PinholeR5
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #7 · A new super telephoto zoom will arrive in September


RobAmy wrote:
Not sure about this one. My RF 100-300 f2.8 is outstanding as a 200-600 f5.6. It also makes a great 100-300 f2.8 and 140-420 f4. Basically 3 lenses in one. Granted I am capped at 600mm f5.6 vs 840 f8. However I really am not a big fan of f8 shooting. Now if this was a f4 lens making an 840mm f5.6, I would get one. I guess price with be the big factor.


I'm in the same boat. If the Sigma 300-600mm F4 were available in RF mount, it would be in my kit. The RF 100-300 F2.8 takes TCs very well and does work well as a 200-600 F5.6 lens. To get more reach, a 600 F4 + 1.4TC or an 800 F5.6 is a better option. In my case, the EF 600mm F4 II (which weighs about the same as the Sigma zoom).



Aug 02, 2026 at 11:02 AM
PinholeR5
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #8 · A new super telephoto zoom will arrive in September


Steve Spencer wrote:
The EF sports zoom was of course the 200-400 f/4L with a built-in TC. I am guessing the RF replacement for that lens is still to come and isn't this lens.I think that lens will be something like a 250-500 f/4.5 with a built-in TC and it will be a bit bigger than this lens, more expensive, and obviously a bit wider aperture. That's my guess anyway. I don't see this lens as a replacement really in any way for the 200-400 f/4L unless you always used the TC with that lens.

Oh and I think this lens is very
...Show more →

I owned the EF 200-400 F4 + 1.4TC lens. I got it for youth futball (soccer) and it was great for that! I rarely had the TC engaged for matches. Perhaps for a couple of test matches, but much prefered the F4, even when shooting the other side of the pitch from the goal line, where I ususally positioned myself. For that application, the main issue I had was the wide end not being wide enough. So I'd have a second camera with a 70-200 F2.8 for when the action got close.

When I got the RF 100-300 F2.8, it immediately replaced the EF 200-400 F4 + 1.4TC. With a 1.4TC, the RF lens game me 140-420 F4 that was lighter, better IQ, better AF and the 140mm on the wide end was enough to get by without needed the second camera with the 70-200mm. So, at least for my application, the RF 100-300 F2.8 replaced the EF lens.

I tried the EF 200-400 F4 + 1.4TC lens for wildlife, but was never too happy with it. Always seemed a bit soft and I would end up preferring the IQ, AF, size and versatility of the RF 100-500 or the better IQ and brighter aperture of the 400 F2.8 and 600 F4 primes.

Somehow, though, a part of me really likes the idea of a zoom with a built-in TC. It just sound so convenient. I wish we could get the once rumored magical 1x, 1.4x, 2x all-in-one TC.







Aug 02, 2026 at 11:36 AM
Flowernut
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #9 · A new super telephoto zoom will arrive in September


EB-1 wrote:
I don't know if it is possible to make a good 200-800/9 lens, but the Canon is weak and slow. The 300-600/5.6 would have to be better with a 1.4x than that.

EBH


a 150-600 5.6L. They made one in the 1980's. copy that design if you have to. Please at least 200-600. A 3x zoom should be a piece of cake. add a 1.4x to it



Aug 02, 2026 at 04:49 PM
rscheffler
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #10 · A new super telephoto zoom will arrive in September


Mike_5D wrote:
That's an interesting combination of focal length and aperture. Not really long, and not really fast. Besides surf photography, who's it for? Definitely not sports professionals who need f/2.8 for night games. I guess wildlife, but you lose a stop of light vs the 500/4 or 600/4 and it's likely massive and expensive compared to a 100-500.


In the realm of sports, motorsports comes to mind. Super wide aperture isn't such an asset when your subject, either a car or motorcycle, is fairly deep and looks kind of odd when most of it is outside the plane of focus. Also, with the desire to imply some motion through wheel spin blur, very high shutter speeds are also not so desirable. So it ends up being a scenario where a narrow aperture lens is not really a liability. Add that to often having to walk long distances around tracks to desirable shooting locations, a lighter, slower lens is another benefit.

I'm a longtime 200-400 user and it was one reason I stuck with Canon. The recent telephoto lens I'm actually the most curious about is Sony's new 100-400/4.5. It seems to be a great 'sweet spot' of performance and price. My experience with the 100-300/2.8 was that I used it mostly with a 1.4x TC. The Sony is 1/3 stop slower and half the price. Had Sony released that lens about 3-4 years ago, I might have switched just for it.



Aug 03, 2026 at 11:17 PM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

artsupreme
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #11 · A new super telephoto zoom will arrive in September


rscheffler wrote:
In the realm of sports, motorsports comes to mind. Super wide aperture isn't such an asset when your subject, either a car or motorcycle, is fairly deep and looks kind of odd when most of it is outside the plane of focus. Also, with the desire to imply some motion through wheel spin blur, very high shutter speeds are also not so desirable. So it ends up being a scenario where a narrow aperture lens is not really a liability. Add that to often having to walk long distances around tracks to desirable shooting locations, a lighter, slower lens is
...Show more →

This is the lens I want for sports/motorsports. I'd trade my 100-300 for it in a heartbeat:

https://www.nikonusa.com/press-room/development-announcement-NIKKOR-Z-120-300MM-F2-8-TC-VR-S?srsltid=AfmBOoopoyHjtgwSUfsmbzPGygo9VErA8LbhNAuAzImqYc_cnmuKbgAi









Aug 04, 2026 at 10:44 AM
rscheffler
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #12 · A new super telephoto zoom will arrive in September


If it can be stacked with an external TC, it will be very versatile! But IMO for motorsports it will often be too short on FF. Of course it depends on the track.


Aug 04, 2026 at 12:31 PM
p_g_c_
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #13 · A new super telephoto zoom will arrive in September


The upcoming NIKKOR Z 120-300MM F2.8 TC VR S should be an absolute embarrassment of riches, though I won't be surprised if it costs double the Sony FE 100-400mm f/4.5 GM OSS which is a bummer.

One of my friends plans (as much as a person can this early) on getting the 300-600 F5.6, so looking forward to his eventual reactions.



Aug 04, 2026 at 04:38 PM
rscheffler
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #14 · A new super telephoto zoom will arrive in September


I don't expect the Nikon to be less than the Canon. The Sony is surprisingly inexpensive in comparison and it's unclear (to me in part because I don't closely follow Sony) what it's conceding for that price difference, other than being 1/3 stop slower when a 1.4x is used with the Canon.


Aug 04, 2026 at 08:45 PM
artsupreme
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #15 · A new super telephoto zoom will arrive in September


I'm guessing the Nikon should be around 11.5K with the TC but I guess we'll find out when it's released.


Aug 04, 2026 at 10:28 PM
Steve Spencer
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #16 · A new super telephoto zoom will arrive in September


rscheffler wrote:
I don't expect the Nikon to be less than the Canon. The Sony is surprisingly inexpensive in comparison and it's unclear (to me in part because I don't closely follow Sony) what it's conceding for that price difference, other than being 1/3 stop slower when a 1.4x is used with the Canon.


I think the lower cost of the Sony is mostly that it has a 89mm exit pupil. The RF 100-300 f/2.8 (and the upcoming Nikon Z 120-300 f/2.8) have a 107mm exit pupil. I don't think there are any lenses from any manufacturer with that big of exit pupil that are less than $6,000, but there are dozens of lenses with 89mm and even slightly larger exit pupils that cost less than the 100-400 f/4.5. It seems once you start making the ultra large front element the cost really goes up.

I think Sony was smart to use the smaller front element as it allows a better value proposition, but Canon could compete in that space too. The rumored Canon 300-600 f/5.6 is a 107mm exit pupil lens, so I expect it will be expensive, but Canon could make a $4,500 90ish mm exit pupil lens, (e.g. 100-400 f/4.5; 200-500 f/5.6; or 200-600 f/6.3; they already have the 200-800 f/6.3-9, but I am thinking a higher quality lens than that) which would compete a lot better with the Sony lens on value.



Aug 05, 2026 at 11:18 AM
robert_in_ca
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #17 · A new super telephoto zoom will arrive in September


artsupreme wrote:
I'm guessing the Nikon should be around 11.5K with the TC but I guess we'll find out when it's released.


There's no doubt that it will be in that price range - especially if it's made in Japan.



Aug 06, 2026 at 07:08 AM
robert_in_ca
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #18 · A new super telephoto zoom will arrive in September


p_g_c_ wrote:
The upcoming NIKKOR Z 120-300MM F2.8 TC VR S should be an absolute embarrassment of riches, though I won't be surprised if it costs double the Sony FE 100-400mm f/4.5 GM OSS which is a bummer.

One of my friends plans (as much as a person can this early) on getting the 300-600 F5.6, so looking forward to his eventual reactions.


The Z 120-300TC will certainly be in that $11-12k price range.



Aug 06, 2026 at 07:09 AM
robert_in_ca
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #19 · A new super telephoto zoom will arrive in September


artsupreme wrote:
This is the lens I want for sports/motorsports. I'd trade my 100-300 for it in a heartbeat:

https://www.nikonusa.com/press-room/development-announcement-NIKKOR-Z-120-300MM-F2-8-TC-VR-S?srsltid=AfmBOoopoyHjtgwSUfsmbzPGygo9VErA8LbhNAuAzImqYc_cnmuKbgAi



I am seriously considering the same thing. However I went back and shot with the both the Z9/Z8 recently - and as great as they are the both felt a bit lack luster compared to the speed and AF system of my R1 - but I will say that Nikon has better lens ergonomics for me. I am sure the Mk2 version of Z9 and Z8 will be killer.



Aug 06, 2026 at 07:22 AM
Tom_W
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #20 · A new super telephoto zoom will arrive in September


Steve Spencer wrote:
I think the lower cost of the Sony is mostly that it has a 89mm exit pupil. The RF 100-300 f/2.8 (and the upcoming Nikon Z 120-300 f/2.8) have a 107mm exit pupil. I don't think there are any lenses from any manufacturer with that big of exit pupil that are less than $6,000, but there are dozens of lenses with 89mm and even slightly larger exit pupils that cost less than the 100-400 f/4.5. It seems once you start making the ultra large front element the cost really goes up.

I think Sony was smart to use the
...Show more →

For reference, the 200-800 entrance pupil measures about 86 mm with a 95 mm filter ring. I think that the Sigma 150-600 Contemporary has similar entrance pupil dimensions (although by rights, 600/6.3 requires at least a 95 mm front glass to achieve that aperture at 600 mm).



Aug 06, 2026 at 07:45 AM
1              3       end






FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1              3       end
    
 

Welcome back
Log in to your account