fredmiranda.com
Login

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
  

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2              4       end
  
M mount one-and-done
Leica 35mm f/1.4 Summilux FLE I or II, or 35/1.2 Noctilux
Voigtländer 35mm f/1.5 Nokton
Light Lens Lab 35mm f/1.4 "11873"
Voigtländer 35mm f/2 APO-Lanthar
Other

The ultimate 35mm one-and-done lens in M mount

  
 
EMH2025
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · The ultimate 35mm one-and-done lens in M mount


patotts wrote:
Interestingly no one going for Lecia Steel Rim, or few for the LLL 11873, or a simple Summicron 35/2 ASPH. Or the discontinued V Ultron 35/2 (value winner, I would assume)


I'll "vote" for both, I have both, but then I am more of a 28/50/90(or 135) mostly 50 photographer, so for me 35 is my character FL, I dont have a more clinical 35. I will violate the one lens premise with the idea that I might and do carry a 50 apo summicron , and then a steel rim or LLL as my character lens for a two lens kit. I really like both, I might give the LLL a few extra points for render I like it is remarkable and steel rim also remarkable as the lens I want to carry. I do think for tourism and city carry a 50 apo and 35 steel rim has a lot of range to capture the scene without a weight penalty, if doing hybrid film and dig then each body has one lens and I switch lens back and forth. Even two bodies and two lens are small kit carry.




May 21, 2026 at 09:10 PM
patotts
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · The ultimate 35mm one-and-done lens in M mount


Thank you for all the answers. 50+ photographers is a good sample, I wish there could have been more options in the voting section, but the software didn't play along at that time.

Nice to see the good ol' 11663/35'lux FLE still has a lot of fans!



Jul 06, 2026 at 07:55 AM
gammarART
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #3 · The ultimate 35mm one-and-done lens in M mount


Just wait a few days or weeks and look at the new LLL Apo. Should be a really nice little gem.


Jul 06, 2026 at 09:15 AM
stgrove
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #4 · The ultimate 35mm one-and-done lens in M mount


The Mandler 35/2.0-look no further.

I also own the original Leica KOB 35, just about all Leica, LLL and VM 35 lenses, but when I reach for a 35 now it is the Mandler.

Edited on Jul 06, 2026 at 05:05 PM · View previous versions



Jul 06, 2026 at 09:59 AM
treacle
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #5 · The ultimate 35mm one-and-done lens in M mount


I like my 35mm Summilux pre aspherical from 1986 it's sharp at f5.6 and smaller and dreamy wide open.
35mm is my favorite focal length and I really like the small size for such a fast lens. It's currently being CLA'd and I miss it. I've got 3 other 35mm lenses for M bodies and lots more for other cameras.



Jul 06, 2026 at 01:03 PM
raizans
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #6 · The ultimate 35mm one-and-done lens in M mount


35mm lens of my dreams is the LLL AA that’s the size of the pre-ASPH Summilux.


Jul 06, 2026 at 02:48 PM
johnvanr
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #7 · The ultimate 35mm one-and-done lens in M mount


I’m not much of a 35mm shooter, but the last 35mm lens I’d sell would be the Zeiss Distagon 35mm f/1.4. A bit large for Leica M, but small when adapted to my Canon kit and absolutely astounding in its rendering. Never bought a Leica 35mm, though, but even then the Zeiss was long considered top of the pack.


Jul 06, 2026 at 03:04 PM
selahsean
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #8 · The ultimate 35mm one-and-done lens in M mount


Make mine the pre FLE please


Jul 06, 2026 at 03:50 PM
Xavier Rival
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #9 · The ultimate 35mm one-and-done lens in M mount


Among the lenses that I have used, my 35 FLE1 is my favorite.

But I would also look into the last version of Voigtlander 35/1.2. I love my Voigtlander 40/1.2 (and actually carry it more often than my 35 FLE1), so I would also consider its 35 sibling.



Jul 06, 2026 at 04:02 PM
rsolti13
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #10 · The ultimate 35mm one-and-done lens in M mount


I have a lot of nice 35s……if I were to keep just one of them it would be the 35 Cron APO. You can use it in any situation and the size is great


Jul 07, 2026 at 04:53 AM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

ByChrisJones
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #11 · The ultimate 35mm one-and-done lens in M mount


Can I cheat and say 40mm F2 rokkor/summicron?


Jul 07, 2026 at 10:00 AM
chasdfg
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #12 · The ultimate 35mm one-and-done lens in M mount


35mm APO-Summicron for me. Small with incredible resolution and image quality in that package, focuses close, smooth bokeh. The only negative for me was the price. Now that I've moved away from Leica, the 35mm Otus ML is my favourite 35mm and possibly my favourite 35mm of all time (besting the RX1's sonnar and the APO-Summicron). But that Otus is 2x the weight and is much bulkier, so even if this question was opened up to other mounts, all things considered if I had to choose just THE 35mm for me, the APO-Summicron would be it. Its compactness may be underrated.

Prior to the APO-Summicron it was the 35FLE for me (never used the v2 but the v1 was my go-to 35mm for many years). For day to day shooting I had no complaints and the rendering always had some magic to it. I would travel with it as my only lens and in the earlier years of ownership when it practically lived on my camera, I really did understand it. Perhaps this lens was the only one I used enough to "connect" with, to the extent I could say I mastered it (as far as I can say I mastered any of my gear). Over time the more lenses I owned the more diluted my time has been with each lens and I've not had the same understanding with any other lens as I did with the 35FLE.

3rd place would probably be a toss up between the pre-FLE and the Zeiss 35mm 1.4 ZM. But for a reliable 35mm or the ultimate M 35mm, focus shift for the pre-FLE and the larger size of the Zeiss would take them out of the equation.

Admittedly I have not used the 35mm Noct or the LLL 35mm F1.4 AA. I am not sure if they could knock the APO-Summicron off its perch in my books, though I am sure they are wonderful lenses to own and use.



Jul 07, 2026 at 10:48 AM
RexGig0
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #13 · The ultimate 35mm one-and-done lens in M mount


Other. If it must be only one, and 35mm, well, my choice is the Zeiss Distagon 35mm f/1,4 ZM. Beautiful, smooth bokeh, when shot wide-open, but a truly modern lens, highly corrected, optically. The images rendered will look like what I saw, on-scene. I was already acquainted with several Zeiss ZE (Canon EF mount) and ZF.2 (Nikon F-mount) lenses, before I added the Leica M system.

Yes, the Distagon ZM is large, but not too large. Actually, a lens barrel is my favored add-on accessory grip. And, I like a lens that causes the camera to tilt forward and down, a bit, as that minimizes the accumulation of things on the front element, filter, and such.

Had the original question been about the 50mm focal length, my reply would have been the Summilux-M 50mm ASPH.




Jul 07, 2026 at 03:47 PM
patotts
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #14 · The ultimate 35mm one-and-done lens in M mount




I came across this comp of the 35 Lux FLE and the Voigtlander Ultron 35/2 II - Dave pointing out that there isn't a big diff in IQ on digital, but there is a noticeable diff when shooting on film.

Would your choice of 35mm M mount lens be different on film or digital?



Sep 12, 2026 at 05:19 AM
stgrove
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #15 · The ultimate 35mm one-and-done lens in M mount


I just wonder if those voting for the FLE I or II have also used the APO Summicron 35 in earnest?

We all vote on what we have and know, but there are so many M 35s out there.

This is my want to have list: Do I own any? You bet.

Leica APO Cron 35/2.0
VM Ultron II 35/2.0
VM 35/1.2 IV sent back the Leica 35/1.2 unopened.
Omnar NIK 35-25 f2.5
Leica 35/1.4 FLE II CF
Leica 35/1.4 Steel Rim Reissue
LLL 35/2.0 8 Element
Leica 35/2.0 KOB Germany
Leica 35/2.0 KOB Canada
Mandler 35/2.0 KOB
LLL 35/1.4 11873
MS Optics Perar II 35/3.5 coming next week

So for me it depends on what type of rendering I want for a specific capture and that is what leads me to own so many and varied 35 lenses. And still counting as I discover more and varied character lenses. The word "character" means something different to each of us and even to me on any given day and lighting conditions.

Best price-the Mandler.
Best surprise-the VM Ultron II in afternoon lighting.
Best of the rest-unknown-until I shoot more to be honest with myself. That means I have lots of more shooting to do-yeah!






Edited on Sep 13, 2026 at 08:08 AM · View previous versions



Sep 13, 2026 at 06:39 AM
RustyBug
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #16 · The ultimate 35mm one-and-done lens in M mount


FLE CF ticks a lot of boxes for me, but the Pre-ASPH is very attractive, and the ASPH Cron is so practical. The Biogon has its allure, as well as do several others.

Character
Optical Precision
Size

Pick Two ... you can't get all three in one lens.

Which is likely why there are so many variants ... the degree and matrix of combinations are quite plentiful, particularly when start extrapolating across different brands (M, VM, ZM, etc.). In that regard, the base of what a person's bias preference is will be a large component to whether they want Fat Nok, a Tiny Rit, or a Goldilocks Cron.

Since you did put "value" in there and were going for an "all encompassing" ... the 35 Cron ASPH lands pretty good in that space. Not the master of anything, not the most expensive, nor cheapest. Not the largest, not the smallest. Maybe the "most boring" ... yet, designed by intent to sit in the exact space you are asking about. VM / ZM / 3rd party emulators as well.

But, that isn't the kind of lens that drives intense inspiration ... i.e. the Pre-Asph Lux, or a Nok or a tiny Rit.

Imo, there are candidates for "Jack of all trades, master of none." Then, there are "Dead Cold Hands" lenses.

Two different questions, lots of different answers.




Sep 13, 2026 at 07:24 AM
RexGig0
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #17 · The ultimate 35mm one-and-done lens in M mount


Had I never discovered the Zeiss Distagon ZM, or, had I bought into the arguments that it was “too big,” I might be using the CV 35 APO Lanthar, today, and thinking of it as the “one and done 35.” While the APO Lanthar is hefty, itself, it does have a nicely-grip-able shape and size, that I would like, when, when hand-carrying the camera/lens combo. Even though I use a strap, I want to keep the camera/lens under control, when moving at any speed, or when negotiating a slope.

Of course, there are times that compactness trumps grip-ability. Had I not been conditioned to carry things in my left hand, and already value the Distagon so highly, I might well have chosen a smaller 35mm lens as The One. My heart would want to choose something Summicron-ish. Maybe even 8-Element? They do appear, now and then, at a local Leica dealer….




Sep 13, 2026 at 11:43 AM
olegkin
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #18 · The ultimate 35mm one-and-done lens in M mount


patotts wrote:



I came across this comp of the 35 Lux FLE and the Voigtlander Ultron 35/2 II - Dave pointing out that there isn't a big diff in IQ on digital, but there is a noticeable diff when shooting on film.

Would your choice of 35mm M mount lens be different on film or digital?


I know nothing, but it sure sounds like VC lens was slightly misaligned on a film body, and you just adjust it naturally on digital because you see what you shoot?



Sep 14, 2026 at 11:21 AM
gordec
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #19 · The ultimate 35mm one-and-done lens in M mount


Steel Rim RI #1 followed by FLE 1 or 2. If FLE 1 or 2 is the same size as SRRI, then it would change my rankings. SRRI is so small and it's the most pleasing character lens I have tried.


Sep 14, 2026 at 12:11 PM
nehemiahphoto
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #20 · The ultimate 35mm one-and-done lens in M mount


Not one person in 5 pages has mentioned the Simera 35/1.4 lol


Sep 14, 2026 at 12:28 PM
1       2              4       end






FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2              4       end
    
 

Welcome back
Log in to your account