fredmiranda.com
Login

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
  

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4              6       end
  

Thypoch Ksana 35mm f/2 ASPH. Review

  
 
cabophoto
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #1 · Thypoch Ksana 35mm f/2 ASPH. Review


Fred Miranda wrote:
I'm still waiting for the replacement copies to continue the review. Apparently, production has been delayed.


Yes, looks like it. I ordered mine on May 23 and was informed that it would ship in early June. When I asked last week, they said they hadn't sent it yet due to 'stock issues'.



Jun 26, 2026 at 09:48 AM
cabophoto
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #2 · Thypoch Ksana 35mm f/2 ASPH. Review


I asked Thypoch about the decentering problem. This morning I received a reply saying "We are doing our utmost to resolve this issue...".
Sounds good to me. Better to acknowledge the problem and solve it, even it takes some time.

Edited on Sep 21, 2026 at 12:32 PM · View previous versions



Jun 28, 2026 at 03:51 AM
smolgatito
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #3 · Thypoch Ksana 35mm f/2 ASPH. Review


The unit I received, also decentered.


Jun 30, 2026 at 09:28 AM
sarkleshark
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #4 · Thypoch Ksana 35mm f/2 ASPH. Review


How do you test for decentered?
thanks



Jun 30, 2026 at 11:00 AM
smolgatito
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #5 · Thypoch Ksana 35mm f/2 ASPH. Review


sarkleshark wrote:
How do you test for decentered?
thanks


Did it according to the phillipreeve guide "How to check how decentered your lens is".



Jun 30, 2026 at 11:14 AM
philip_pj
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #6 · Thypoch Ksana 35mm f/2 ASPH. Review


Getting more interested in this one with its very Simera-like block chart in the less demanding f2 configuration, with a dominance of their very fine HRI glass and three achromats in eight elements, with the end piece of one asph.

I've written to them about the supply issues and will keep us informed if/when I hear back. Some tasty samples here:

https://www.35mmc.com/21/05/2026/thypoch-ksana-35mm-f-2-asph-review/



Jul 08, 2026 at 06:14 PM
philip_pj
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #7 · Thypoch Ksana 35mm f/2 ASPH. Review


Thypoch provide an MTF diagram, and it corroborates the findings of the few reviews available. It (unusually) shows 40 lpmm line pairs, 85% at f2 on axis, unless that is a mistake. That alone makes it very interesting, provided the fall-off to the outer frames is reasonably smooth, as it is in the Simeras. They even corect in the old-fashioned way, with high frequency line crosses at the wide edge.

For a laugh, see the image below of it on a Nikon Zf.












Jul 08, 2026 at 07:12 PM
RoamingScott
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #8 · Thypoch Ksana 35mm f/2 ASPH. Review


Everyone and their uncle are asking me to review it on the Zf, it's not as funny as you think.

The QC reports are...troubling.



Jul 08, 2026 at 07:13 PM
philip_pj
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #9 · Thypoch Ksana 35mm f/2 ASPH. Review


Looking for more opinions and background on this one, I noticed that it appeals to some eccentric characters, and that is coming from people like me. I think this form of YT productions (let's call them) has a big future.

It sure beats the 'pontificating guy at the desk' approach, or Matt's half naked chicks. I suppose I can add that it looks like Thypoch have found a natural market niche a second time, and that is just fine with me.
..


..


..
The beauty of the Ksanas is that they do not tread on the toes of the Simeras, though this one has design traits that echo the faster 35mm. Now they have to fix the prod issues, and all will be well.



Jul 09, 2026 at 03:35 PM
cabophoto
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #10 · Thypoch Ksana 35mm f/2 ASPH. Review


RoamingScott wrote:
Everyone and their uncle are asking me to review it on the Zf, it's not as funny as you think.

The QC reports are...troubling.


Hopefully they got the decentering problems sorted out. Almost two months ago they told me that they were working on the problem. Today I got an email saying that my copy has shipped.



Aug 28, 2026 at 11:07 AM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

kuujinbo
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #11 · Thypoch Ksana 35mm f/2 ASPH. Review


cabophoto wrote:
Hopefully they got the decentering problems sorted out. Almost two months ago they told me that they were working on the problem. Today I got an email saying that my copy has shipped.


B&H got them in stock sometime this week, so they should be from the same batch as yours, and hopefully corrected the issues. Hope you get a good copy.




Aug 28, 2026 at 04:56 PM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #12 · Thypoch Ksana 35mm f/2 ASPH. Review


I received a new copy of the Ksana 35/2 today and will resume the review very soon.


Sep 01, 2026 at 10:48 AM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #13 · Thypoch Ksana 35mm f/2 ASPH. Review


Fred Miranda wrote:
I received a new copy of the Ksana 35/2 today and will resume the review very soon.


And this came right out of production (not hand picked) and it's well centered.



Sep 02, 2026 at 11:47 AM
weatherproof
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #14 · Thypoch Ksana 35mm f/2 ASPH. Review


kuujinbo wrote:
B&H got them in stock sometime this week, so they should be from the same batch as yours, and hopefully corrected the issues. Hope you get a good copy.



Did B&H get any in black? I just checked today (Sep 2) and only see silver available. The Ksana in black is listed as "discontinued".



Sep 02, 2026 at 12:24 PM
TNBDM
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #15 · Thypoch Ksana 35mm f/2 ASPH. Review


I somehow ended up posting my little saga with this lens over in the Mandler KOB thread, so I won't rehash all of that here. But as to the issue of black versions being available, I can say I just received a replacement black lens via UPS yesterday, after Thypoch told me they would send me one under warranty when my first lens failed. The serial number on the new one is actually lower than on the old one, for whatever that's worth. I haven't had it mounted to a body to test yet so I can't speak to performance, other than to say that the aperture on the new one definitely feels better than the old one did.


Sep 02, 2026 at 02:40 PM
kuujinbo
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #16 · Thypoch Ksana 35mm f/2 ASPH. Review


weatherproof wrote:
Did B&H get any in black? I just checked today (Sep 2) and only see silver available. The Ksana in black is listed as "discontinued".


When I posted the link they only had silver, so probably not.

Edited on Sep 02, 2026 at 04:57 PM · View previous versions



Sep 02, 2026 at 04:14 PM
kuujinbo
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #17 · Thypoch Ksana 35mm f/2 ASPH. Review


TNBDM wrote:
But as to the issue of black versions being available, I can say I just received a replacement black lens via UPS yesterday, after Thypoch told me they would send me one under warranty when my first lens failed. The serial number on the new one is actually lower than on the old one, for whatever that's worth. I haven't had it mounted to a body to test yet so I can't speak to performance, other than to say that the aperture on the new one definitely feels better than the old one did.


Bought a couple of Thypoch Simeras (50mm & 75mm) earlier this summer and had issues with both. Contacted their support directly, and with the 50mm they informed me the (lens mount light leak) was a known QC issue, but they had a fix. So it may be that the lower serial number lens you got was (hopefully) fixed from one of their initial batches.

Hope it works out for you.

Edited on Sep 02, 2026 at 04:57 PM · View previous versions



Sep 02, 2026 at 04:20 PM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #18 · Thypoch Ksana 35mm f/2 ASPH. Review


weatherproof wrote:
Did B&H get any in black? I just checked today (Sep 2) and only see silver available. The Ksana in black is listed as "discontinued".


Sometimes B&H lists items as discontinued just because they aren't carrying them anymore for one reason or another. They're definitely still producing the black version, though, I just got mine straight off the production run. The glossy black paint on brass is definitely gorgeous.



Sep 02, 2026 at 04:28 PM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #19 · Thypoch Ksana 35mm f/2 ASPH. Review


Update: I've updated this review section with a new comparison covering infinity resolution and contrast against the Voigtlander 35mm f/2 Ultron:

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1943434/0#17041799



Sep 02, 2026 at 05:07 PM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #20 · Thypoch Ksana 35mm f/2 ASPH. Review


Update: I've added a new section to this review covering infinity performance with the lens adapted to a Sony A7R II (42MP):

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1943434/1#17041831



Sep 02, 2026 at 07:05 PM
1       2       3       4              6       end






FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4              6       end
    
 

Welcome back
Log in to your account