Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Spirit of Lapland

Gregg B.
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Spirit of Lapland

Congratulations to Gregg B. for winning Feature Thread of the Week with 17 votes - View Previous Winners

Last week, I had the incredible opportunity to explore Lapland in Northern Finland, capturing the enchanting beauty of frozen trees and winter landscapes. The current conditions are nothing short of stunning, particularly if you have an appreciation for snow and winter wonderlands. The temperatures have plummeted to below -30C this year, creating a truly magical setting.

During my stay in Ruka, which is approximately a 2-hour flight north of Helsinki, I put my Nikon photography gear to the ultimate test. Despite the challenging conditions, I relied on the Nikon Z9, designed to withstand temperatures up to -15C. To my delight, the camera performed flawlessly even in temperatures as low as -35C, exceeding its specified capabilities. The short daylight hours, spanning only 4 to 5 hours, allowed me to capture the mesmerizing auroral borealis on clear nights, adding an extra layer of wonder to the experience.

Not only did I push the limits with my camera, but I also utilized my Mavic 3 drone to capture captivating videos in these extreme temperatures. Remarkably, the drone operated seamlessly without any complications. The 6th image is taken by the drone...

Anyway, here are a few of my shots.

Jan 22, 2024 at 07:25 AM
douter
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Spirit of Lapland

"Ain't Ma Nature grand! I have always liked the way the snow and ice can "sugar-coat" the trees and bushes into these marshmallow shapes, Gregg!
Douglas

Jan 22, 2024 at 07:50 AM
Sashi
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Spirit of Lapland

Gregg, thanks for sharing these amazing ice-scapes. Offers us a glimpse of the diversity in the world. Stunning photographs all of them, and admire your personal fortitude in going out in such weather to capture these moments.

Jan 22, 2024 at 08:12 AM
tntcorp1
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Spirit of Lapland

that's cold. would love to see your aerial video. did you fly it during the aurora?

is that a line of fog in the midground in images 1 & 6?

Jan 22, 2024 at 08:43 AM
Gregg B.
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Spirit of Lapland

tntcorp1 wrote:
that's cold. would love to see your aerial video. did you fly it during the aurora?

is that a line of fog in the midground in images 1 & 6?

Yes. There was a lot of fog there for some reasons....

Jan 22, 2024 at 10:41 AM
jr200
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Spirit of Lapland

Very nice set of images - super unique. Thanks for sharing.

Jan 22, 2024 at 10:48 PM
Aztatlan
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Spirit of Lapland

Beautiful collection Gregg. The 7th and final images are my favourite I think.

Jan 23, 2024 at 03:14 AM
JimKied
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Spirit of Lapland

Beautiful images Greg. Just love your processing. Definitely a place I'd like to see.

Jan 23, 2024 at 05:26 AM
Gregg B.
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Spirit of Lapland

JimKied wrote:
Beautiful images Greg. Just love your processing. Definitely a place I'd like to see.

I may organize a week long workshop there in the winter next year (in January). Interested?

Jan 23, 2024 at 09:02 AM
Michael H
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Spirit of Lapland

Pretty amazing place. Great collections of images, thanks for sharing these. For #1, the trees kind of struck me as human-like figures in the cold.

Too cold for me I think, but wow.

Jan 23, 2024 at 10:39 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

PaulCStudios
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Spirit of Lapland

Really like all of the images, they take you away. -30C that is very cold, great the gear worked.

Jan 23, 2024 at 10:48 AM
Gregg B.
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Spirit of Lapland

Michael H wrote:
Pretty amazing place. Great collections of images, thanks for sharing these. For #1, the trees kind of struck me as human-like figures in the cold.

Too cold for me I think, but wow.

It was cold, yes, even -30C but that was after sunset. During the day, temps were around -20C
I know it's still cold but better than -30C. Also, there was no wind (very little) so that was nice. If I had winds it would feel extremely cold even at -5C.
You just prepare yourself, get warm clothes and you'll be fine.

Jan 23, 2024 at 11:19 AM
Gregg B.
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Spirit of Lapland

PaulCStudios wrote:
Really like all of the images, they take you away. -30C that is very cold, great the gear worked.

I was once shooting in Grand Teton NP at -40C/F (those two numbers meet at -40) and I had no problems with my Nikon gear. It was very cold indeed. I rented Ford F-150 and once I started the engine in the morning, I didn't shut it down until after the sunset. I had no problems starting the car either (in Both Wyoming and Finland) because synthetic oil doesn't really freeze, just FYI.

Jan 23, 2024 at 11:22 AM
Jim Dockery
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Spirit of Lapland

Those skies are wonderful. These would make a great dissolve sequence in a slide show.

Jan 24, 2024 at 05:39 AM
stgrove
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Spirit of Lapland

Thanks. Very interesting to see and hear your associated story.

Jan 24, 2024 at 06:33 AM
PaulCStudios
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Spirit of Lapland

Gregg B. wrote:
I was once shooting in Grand Teton NP at -40C/F (those two numbers meet at -40) and I had no problems with my Nikon gear. It was very cold indeed. I rented Ford F-150 and once I started the engine in the morning, I didn't shut it down until after the sunset. I had no problems starting the car either (in Both Wyoming and Finland) because synthetic oil doesn't really freeze, just FYI.

Appreciate how you make it happen and go for it in the cold, with amazing shots. I have stepped out in -20C when I use to race Huskies. Ah yes the -40C/F. Also have been hanging out of a helicopter doing aerial survey filming/stills at the same time, over the ocean going 80 kts in 5deg F air temp, that was a long day with the windchill. Sony F55 video and Canon Still gear both worked perfect.

I prefer the tropics where I am head for a month of jobs shooting on and off the water. Hot and humid is easy for me, cold not so much.

Be safe and have fun.

Jan 24, 2024 at 08:00 AM
IndyFab
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Spirit of Lapland

Very nice series, and appreciate the lens distortion corrected !! (no leaning trees)

Jan 24, 2024 at 09:57 AM
junglialoh
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Spirit of Lapland

Thanks to wonderous image from wonderland - excellent photography work

Jan 24, 2024 at 11:50 AM
Brad Williams
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Spirit of Lapland

Great set of photos Gregg! Love the textures and colors. Nice work.

Jan 24, 2024 at 12:33 PM
Gregg B.
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Spirit of Lapland

junglialoh wrote:
Thanks to wonderous image from wonderland - excellent photography work

Thank you!.

Jan 24, 2024 at 05:47 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.