Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2              4              6       7       end
  

Fuji GFX 100 II and new lenses - Pre-order / Shipping Thread

  
 
BrandonSi
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Fuji GFX 100 II and new lenses - Pre-order / Shipping Thread


rdeloe wrote:
I've heard good things about that lens from lots of people. A friend of mine was particularly impressed with the way it transition from in-focus to out-of-focus.


If you can get past the size / weight (and 95mm filter threads), it's an extremely good value in the context of the GFX system.



Sep 14, 2023 at 06:06 PM
Peter Figen
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Fuji GFX 100 II and new lenses - Pre-order / Shipping Thread


My buddy a block away has the Contax film system. I'm going to borrow the 35 from him just to see. In return I'll have to lend him my Mamiya 7 - or just give it to him. Ha.


Sep 14, 2023 at 06:56 PM
rdeloe
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Fuji GFX 100 II and new lenses - Pre-order / Shipping Thread


BrandonSi wrote:
If you can get past the size / weight (and 95mm filter threads), it's an extremely good value in the context of the GFX system.


The thing is I would only be interested in it if I could put it on my F-Universalis. The only way to do that is to buy one, send it to Cambo and have them re-house it, and then remove the Cambo mount and put on a new mount that works on my setup. The machining involved to do the re-mounting would be trivial.

But there's a major catch: the Contax 645 35/3.5 uses a floating element design, like the one in the Pentax-A 645 35/3.5. Cambo turns the Contax into a lens without a focusing helical; focus is provided by the Actus. That means they are not using the floating elements. And that means edges and corners at close distances will be crap, unless they've managed some extraordinary optical engineering.

I've tried using my Pentax-A 645 35/3.5 the way the Cambo Actar 35 (rehoused Contaxt 35) would work, i.e., set it to infinity and focus by moving the rear standard of the F-Universalis. It's fine at distance, but the near foreground is a hot mess without the close focusing elements engaged.

Unfortunately I've never personally used an Actar 35 so I can't say whether or not they've solved this problem. The sell the things, so maybe only people who don't care about the foreground are using it.



Sep 14, 2023 at 07:30 PM
rbf_
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Fuji GFX 100 II and new lenses - Pre-order / Shipping Thread


rdeloe wrote:
For people who don't want to spend what the new GF 30mm tilt-shift costs, the Pentax-A 645 35/3.5 is still a great option. I've poured over some RAFs from the new 30mm and they are superb, as they should be. But used within its limits the old Pentax still delivers if you don't shift more than ~10 mm, for a fraction of the weight and the cost.


Yeah, I got the idea from you If I end up using it a lot I may consider the GF 30 but I'm still new to using one of these things.



Sep 14, 2023 at 09:01 PM
BrandonSi
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Fuji GFX 100 II and new lenses - Pre-order / Shipping Thread


Finally got the Contax 645 35mm 3/5 video out. Hope it's helpful!





Sep 15, 2023 at 07:47 AM
bobby350z
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Fuji GFX 100 II and new lenses - Pre-order / Shipping Thread


Nice looking lens. Personally I wouldn't see the need (unless you already have it) as there is 30mm f3.5 and the 35-70mm but then I never owned any Zeiss. For my fast lens needs, I have a cheap Tamron 35mm f1.8 which works pretty good on the GFX.


Sep 15, 2023 at 08:58 AM
rdeloe
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Fuji GFX 100 II and new lenses - Pre-order / Shipping Thread


BrandonSi wrote:
Finally got the Contax 645 35mm 3/5 video out. Hope it's helpful!




Nice job Brandon. See, this is why I don't have a YouTube channel. Your video is very professional.

From architectural photographers you might get questions about distortion. If you covered that I missed it.



Sep 15, 2023 at 09:39 AM
BrandonSi
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Fuji GFX 100 II and new lenses - Pre-order / Shipping Thread


rdeloe wrote:
Nice job Brandon. See, this is why I don't have a YouTube channel. Your video is very professional.

From architectural photographers you might get questions about distortion. If you covered that I missed it.


I didn't.. I need to come up with a consistent way of testing that for future video. Open to ideas!



Sep 15, 2023 at 11:06 AM
rdeloe
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Fuji GFX 100 II and new lenses - Pre-order / Shipping Thread


BrandonSi wrote:
I didn't.. I need to come up with a consistent way of testing that for future video. Open to ideas!


"Short and interesting" and "Testing for everything" don't go together in the same video! So no worries at all.

One thing you could do is include some scenes that have straight lines that show the distortion pattern. For example, a landscape oriented image of a low building where the roof line is flat and runs from one side to the other would tell us how strong the barrel distortion is with this lens, and whether there's any moustache distortion within the GFX frame area.



Sep 15, 2023 at 11:14 AM
BrandonSi
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Fuji GFX 100 II and new lenses - Pre-order / Shipping Thread


rdeloe wrote:
"Short and interesting" and "Testing for everything" don't go together in the same video! So no worries at all.

One thing you could do is include some scenes that have straight lines that show the distortion pattern. For example, a landscape oriented image of a low building where the roof line is flat and runs from one side to the other would tell us how strong the barrel distortion is with this lens, and whether there's any moustache distortion within the GFX frame area.



Good idea! Thanks for the feedback! Always looking for ways to improve the videos.



Sep 15, 2023 at 11:40 AM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

Peter Figen
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Fuji GFX 100 II and new lenses - Pre-order / Shipping Thread


BrandonSi wrote:
Good idea! Thanks for the feedback! Always looking for ways to improve the videos.


A minor technical note is that YouTube is cutting your volume by 7.4 db which means your original uploaded volume was approximately -6.6 LUFS (Loudness Units Full Scale) which is pretty loud for what is essentially voice over. It probably doesn't matter too much here because there isn't anything in the way of dynamics where you'd be clipping to zero or in the plus range in the original audio, but it's something that can bite you in the ass in different audio situations. The You Tube normalization target is -14 LUFS and if you Control-Click in the video frame that'll bring up the Stats for Nerds dialog where you can view everything they put there. Your DAW will have several loudness meters available to monitor the audio levels, not unlike using the Info Palette in Photoshop.




Sep 15, 2023 at 12:49 PM
BrandonSi
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Fuji GFX 100 II and new lenses - Pre-order / Shipping Thread


Peter Figen wrote:
A minor technical note is that YouTube is cutting your volume by 7.4 db which means your original uploaded volume was approximately -6.6 LUFS (Loudness Units Full Scale) which is pretty loud for what is essentially voice over. It probably doesn't matter too much here because there isn't anything in the way of dynamics where you'd be clipping to zero or in the plus range in the original audio, but it's something that can bite you in the ass in different audio situations. The You Tube normalization target is -14 LUFS and if you Control-Click in the video frame
...Show more


Yeap.. hitting the right LUFS is something I struggle with. I am not an audio engineer, just learning via tutorials. I record the audio separately, cut into chunks in Audacity, normalize, and then do a bit of EQ in Resolve / Fairlight. Then I have separate track for music side chained to the voice-over track to compress down the music audio when the vocal track is active.

I had uploaded an original version that was coming back as -10 db on stats for nerds last night , so I just bumped up the entire audio bus a db or two and re-rendered / re-uploaded. If you see the other videos the tend to over around -4-6db, which seems to sound about right to me.

I am gun shy with the audio, I made a video once and it was like -20db, sounded fine locally but must've had my speaker volume jacked up and it was just the worst, no one could hear the video at all.

It was my understanding (perhaps incorrectly) that a negative db value on stats for nerds was a good thing, that I was -6db under 14 LUFS, and that you wanted to avoid YT reducing the volume of the audio. The goal obviously would be to hit 0, but if you were under 0, then YT wasn't touching your audio track. Is that wrong? (This is what I was basing this off of - https://productionadvice.co.uk/stats-for-nerds/ )

Audio is definitely not a strength of mine, just trying to learn as I go when it comes to most of the video / audio editing stuff! Thanks for the notes!



Sep 15, 2023 at 01:15 PM
Peter Figen
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Fuji GFX 100 II and new lenses - Pre-order / Shipping Thread


BrandonSi wrote:
Yeap.. hitting the right LUFS is something I struggle with. I am not an audio engineer, just learning via tutorials. I record the audio separately, cut into chunks in Audacity, normalize, and then do a bit of EQ in Resolve / Fairlight. Then I have separate track for music side chained to the voice-over track to compress down the music audio when the vocal track is active.

I had uploaded an original version that was coming back as -10 db on stats for nerds last night , so I just bumped up the entire audio bus a db or two
...Show more

When you see -6 db on stats for nerds, that means that they have knocked 6 db off of what you gave them and that your average was 6 db louder than their normalization target of -14, or at -8 db. And to make matters worse, we're all dealing in negative numbers where everything feels backwards.

The basics are that 0 db is as loud as you can be so in order to leave headroom for louder sounds or passages, the averages have to be less than zero or in the minus db range. YouTube's target standard is -14 for music and that leaves you with 14 db of headroom for a really loud passage - drums or guitars or cannonball blasts or whatever. The target levels for film and tv are -21 or -23 db which leaves a lot of room for sound effects in movies to get very impactful.

The goal generally is to have you Integrated LUFS, which is the average throughout the entire piece to be about -14 with peaks coming up to about minus 1db, just shy of clipping, and anytime your average LUFS is louder than -14 YT is going to turn is down to that level, but if you're already quieter than that, as you discovered, they do not turn it up.

This is also where using compression, even on speaking vocals can give it that broadcast quality by slightly clamping down on loud passages and raising quiet passages - not enough to be obnoxiously apparent but just enough to take any edge off. And then, if you have any spikes, which you probably don't in these types of audio tracks, but if you did that's where you put a limiter at the end of the audio chain to lop off that last db or two to keep them from clipping.

I hope that made some sort of sense. Now I need to borrow that lens from my neighbor.



Sep 15, 2023 at 02:02 PM
BrandonSi
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Fuji GFX 100 II and new lenses - Pre-order / Shipping Thread


Peter Figen wrote:
When you see -6 db on stats for nerds, that means that they have knocked 6 db off of what you gave them and that your average was 6 db louder than their normalization target of -14, or at -8 db. And to make matters worse, we're all dealing in negative numbers where everything feels backwards.


At the risk of derailing the thread (sorry, Fuji forum readers)! I don't believe that's correct, or perhaps, let me say, it's the opposite of what I've read in my research. They way I understand it, YouTube will normalize or reduce audio that is louder than -14 LUFS. If it is quieter than that loudness level, they will not increase it. So the goal would be to get closer to, but not be louder than, -14 LUFS.


Here's an example from Gerald Undone who actually slightly overshot -14 LUFS and had the video's loudness reduced.

With the volume slider at 100%, using stats for nerds, you'll see the 93% figure, meaning loudness was reduced by 7% with the slider at 100% volume.



In contrast, you'll notice Casey's video here is coming in at -6.7db meaning he recorded it -6.7db under -14 LUFS and YouTube didn't increase the volume.



You can keep all audio settings on your device the same and clearly tell which video is louder.

And again, I'll be the first to admit I know very, very little about audio, so just sharing what I've researched and how I understand this topic, strictly as it relates to YT videos. I could certainly be incorrect from a different perspective outside of YouTube.



Sep 15, 2023 at 03:07 PM
Peter Figen
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Fuji GFX 100 II and new lenses - Pre-order / Shipping Thread


BrandonSi wrote:
At the risk of derailing the thread (sorry, Fuji forum readers)! I don't believe that's correct, or perhaps, let me say, it's the opposite of what I've read in my research. They way I understand it, YouTube will normalize or reduce audio that is louder than -14 LUFS. If it is quieter than that loudness level, they will not increase it. So the goal would be to get closer to, but not be louder than, -14 LUFS.

Here's an example from Gerald Undone who actually slightly overshot -14 LUFS and had the video's loudness reduced.

With the volume slider at
...Show more

Sorry Brandon. I messed up and did get that part backwards. It's confusing but you still want to optimize your audio before you upload to youtube, and part of doing that is paying attention to where your numbers are but not being a slave to them. You use them as a guide. Unfortunately I had to go and reference a freaking Taylor Swift video that Ian talked about to double-check and was reminded that even with over 2 billion views, she still can't sing a note and is the mistress of vapidity. Now, can I wipe that crap from my memory banks. Oy.

Here's a link to one of the best mastering engineers in the world, Ian Shepherd. Ian has a podcast called The Mastering Show in addition to this website that has been one of my go to places for understanding all of the audio stuff. I started from show number one and went through the entire series in early 2020 and for the most part, this is the best audio series on audio out there. I've listened to each episode at least twice, well, except for the gaming episodes, but even the latest episode about podcasting is great and would apply pretty well to what you're doing.

Almost forgot the link: https://productionadvice.co.uk/stats-for-nerds/



Sep 15, 2023 at 07:25 PM
BrandonSi
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Fuji GFX 100 II and new lenses - Pre-order / Shipping Thread


Peter Figen wrote:
Sorry Brandon. I messed up and did get that part backwards. It's confusing but you still want to optimize your audio before you upload to youtube, and part of doing that is paying attention to where your numbers are but not being a slave to them. You use them as a guide. Unfortunately I had to go and reference a freaking Taylor Swift video that Ian talked about to double-check and was reminded that even with over 2 billion views, she still can't sing a note and is the mistress of vapidity. Now, can I wipe that crap from
...Show more

That's awesome, thanks for the link, will check Ian's podcast out.. this stuff is so interesting to me, but it's quite overwhelming!




Sep 15, 2023 at 07:27 PM
Peter Figen
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Fuji GFX 100 II and new lenses - Pre-order / Shipping Thread


BrandonSi wrote:
That's awesome, thanks for the link, will check Ian's podcast out.. this stuff is so interesting to me, but it's quite overwhelming!



I agree. I spent the first part of the pandemic doing immersion therapy learning this because I set up a "home" studio inside the photo studio and so far we've done about 60 remote sessions in the last three and a half years and what we are recording needs to be on par with all the professional studios here in L.A. or they wouldn't let us do the recording.

Even though mastering is not my goal, learning about the entire process from a-z is important and that's exactly how Ian presents the material.




Sep 15, 2023 at 09:33 PM
Peter Figen
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Fuji GFX 100 II and new lenses - Pre-order / Shipping Thread


Just a note for L.A. readers that Samy's called me on yesterday and told me they will have pre-production GFX100s II's in the store this weekend if you want to get an early hands on. I told Damion just to let me know when the cameras get here for real and I'll be down to pick mine up.


Sep 16, 2023 at 03:28 AM
himurak
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Fuji GFX 100 II and new lenses - Pre-order / Shipping Thread


Completely serious question. How do people afford cameras that cost this much?


Sep 17, 2023 at 07:43 AM
Steve Spencer
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Fuji GFX 100 II and new lenses - Pre-order / Shipping Thread


himurak wrote:
Completely serious question. How do people afford cameras that cost this much?


In my case you invest over years and although the camera gear doesn't completely hold its value, the money builds up over time. I have been on this board since 2006, so 17 years and I have spent about $2,500 a year on camera gear. That means I have spend about $43,000 and if even half that is still around in retained value then that leave well over $20,000 for camera gear.



Sep 17, 2023 at 08:11 AM
1       2              4              6       7       end






FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2              4              6       7       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password



This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.