New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2023 · Women of Goa – 1/2

Rajan Parrikar
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Women of Goa – 1/2

Portraits of Goan women collected over 15 years of flâneuring. More in my blog post.

Field work - in Anjuna

Canon EOS 5D Mark III    EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM lens    200mm    f/5.6    1/1000s    200 ISO    -1.3 EV  

Forest girl - in Khola

Canon EOS 5DS    EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM lens    100mm    f/5.0    1/800s    400 ISO    0.0 EV  

Waiting - in Parshem

Canon EOS 5D Mark II    EF24-105mm f/4L IS USM lens    82mm    f/4.5    1/80s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Farm girl - in Nundem

Canon EOS 5D    EF24-105mm f/4L IS USM lens    40mm    f/8.0    1/125s    100 ISO    -0.7 EV  

Flower girl - in Banastarim

Canon EOS 5D    EF24-105mm f/4L IS USM lens    55mm    f/4.5    1/40s    100 ISO    -0.3 EV  

Mining clams - in Siridona

Canon EOS 5D Mark III    Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2/50 ZE lens    50mm    f/5.6    1/125s    400 ISO    +1.0 EV  

Fishing - in St. Estevem

Edited on Feb 05, 2023 at 02:22 PM · View previous versions

Feb 05, 2023 at 10:49 AM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Women of Goa – 1/2

Rajan Parrikar wrote:
Portraits of Goan women collected over 15 years of flâneuring. More in my blog post.

These are all excellent portraits Rajan. One thing that I notice is that these Goan women are all wearing very colorful clothing. Is that a cultural preference?

Steve

Feb 05, 2023 at 11:19 AM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Women of Goa – 1/2

eeneryma wrote:
These are all excellent portraits Rajan. One thing that I notice is that these Goan women are all wearing very colorful clothing. Is that a cultural preference?

Steve

Steve I can make an 1st hand observation about "the colorful" clothing these women are wearing. I make it from my 2 years in SE Asia. The native peoples, The Montangyards, Hmongs peoples wore colorful dress all the time. To distinguish themselves from the "outsiders".These people were treated terribly by both the French and the Vietnamese. They were mountain people and hated the Vietnamese, French and Chinese equally. They wore the colorful dress as part of their culture, survival in the dense jungle(being seen) and a slap in the face of their oppressors!
I doubt this is the case with these Goa'n women. Only Rajan can educate us on that. But the colorful dress is not uncommon in many Countries.
60F tomorrow!
Have a great day!
Dan

Below is an image...it was 1968-1969...not sure when because the film was sent to Kodak and the Return Mailer sent to my home. So It was at least 1 year or 2yrs when this was taken. But definitely 1968-1969 1stTour.

All the native peoples in SE Asia were our allies and welcomed us if we respected them! Just FYI..whenever my team need passage through a village, the team leader would 1st go to the village elder, present him AND his wife with cigarettes, whiskey and other "goodies" to show respect. Candy for the kids! This kindness led to many sources of info not readily available to some American troops.

1968-69 Slide mailed to Kodak for development then Return Address was home.

Edited on Feb 06, 2023 at 11:37 AM · View previous versions

Feb 05, 2023 at 12:07 PM
keepclicking
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Women of Goa – 1/2

Rajan, what a fantastic collection! Each and every images is special. Gotta hit the vote button👍🏻

Feb 05, 2023 at 12:22 PM
Rajan Parrikar
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Women of Goa – 1/2

eeneryma wrote:

Steve

Thank you, Steve.

As Dan has correctly observed, people in Southeast engage in colorful wear.

India has a long history of women adorning themselves in vibrant colours. The Hindu Gods & Goddesses are often depicted in colourful robes and sarees. Weddings & festivals are unthinkable without colour and the festival of Holi has colour among its themes. Similarly, the spices and food range over the spectrum. This is not just a Goan thing, but a pan-Indian phenomenon. In fact, in states like Rajasthan in the north, the colours can be a riot.

See this -

https://www.color-meanings.com/color-meanings-indian-culture/

Edited on Feb 05, 2023 at 03:34 PM · View previous versions

Feb 05, 2023 at 03:30 PM
Rajan Parrikar
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Women of Goa – 1/2

Dan and Parul - thanks much, gentlemen.

Feb 05, 2023 at 03:30 PM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Women of Goa – 1/2

Rajan Parrikar wrote:
Thank you, Steve.

As Dan has correctly observed, people in Southeast engage in colorful wear.

India has a long history of women adorning themselves in vibrant colours. The Hindu Gods & Goddesses are often depicted in colourful robes and sarees. Weddings & festivals are unthinkable without colour and the festival of Holi has colour among its themes. Similarly, the spices and food range over the spectrum. This is not just a Goan thing, but a pan-Indian phenomenon. In fact, in states like Rajasthan in the north, the colours can be a riot.

See this -

https://www.color-meanings.com/color-meanings-indian-culture/

Thank you Rajan for posting this interesting analysis of color and it's associations in Indian culture. I'm a color guy myself, mostly photographing on the street in color.
Something else I notice about your ladies, Most are barefoot, except one who is wearing flip flops. Is that something that ladies in the countryside prefer?
Steve

Feb 05, 2023 at 07:05 PM
Lupin 3rd
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Women of Goa – 1/2

#3 is just fantastic.

Feb 05, 2023 at 09:11 PM
Rajan Parrikar
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Women of Goa – 1/2

eeneryma wrote:
Thank you Rajan for posting this interesting analysis of color and it's associations in Indian culture. I'm a color guy myself, mostly photographing on the street in color.
Something else I notice about your ladies, Most are barefoot, except one who is wearing flip flops. Is that something that ladies in the countryside prefer?
Steve

Steve,

Most of these are rural women, and yes, when working in the fields or forests the practice - for both men & women - is to go barefoot, as Nature intended.

The photos you post I take to the most are those coming out of left field. Like the "Body Evolved" you have going right now.

---------------------------------------------

Lupin 3rd wrote:
#3 is just fantastic.

Thank you, Lupin 3rd.

Feb 06, 2023 at 04:20 AM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Women of Goa – 1/2

eeneryma wrote:
Steve

Steve, more FYI..if you look at my post, the girls are also barefoot. Most of the "hill people" of Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos went bare foot. Many local Vietnamese also.
Or in some cases, would make "flip flops" out of the broken retreads from military vehicles.
Many of the soldiers from N.Vietnam also went barefoot.

Also did you notice that their houses are built on stilts? The monsoon season can bring raging torrents of water and ground built houses would be lost. Also snakes, rats and other "2 legged" vermine were a problem.

They are a hardy bunch!
Dan

Feb 06, 2023 at 11:17 AM
lumenspixel
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Women of Goa – 1/2

All nice but the sixth is fantastic.

Feb 24, 2023 at 06:19 PM
Rajan Parrikar
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Women of Goa – 1/2

lumenspixel wrote:
All nice but the sixth is fantastic.

Thank you, Michel.

Feb 25, 2023 at 08:42 AM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.