New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Last session with my beloved GFX100S

dawnkyung
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Last session with my beloved GFX100S

Congratulations to dawnkyung for winning Feature Thread of the Week with 4 votes - View Previous Winners

I have LOVED this camera. I already sold my backup, and now have to part ways with my main! I moved to the Hasselblad X2D 100C and can't wait to do lots of sessions with it. After my whole household gets over COVID, that is.

All of these were shot with the 80 1.7.

C&C welcomed and appreciated as always. Hope everyone has been well, and thank you for looking!

Dec 16, 2022 at 10:03 AM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Last session with my beloved GFX100S

Once again, really exquisite work Dawn. I really like how much the subtle details in the deepest shadows add so much to the story.

Dec 16, 2022 at 10:22 AM
DanielScott
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Last session with my beloved GFX100S

Great works as always. Expertly lit, posed, and styled.

For C&C, my only critique would be to reduce the skin and eye treatment. Personally I feel that it's fine for portraits to have a bit of an uncanny look due to retouching especially if it aligns with someone's personal style, but to me the editing treatment on these takes them to a level of uncanny that is reminiscent of mannequins. Just a little bit less might add just the right amount of human connection that I think was lost in the editing.

Dec 16, 2022 at 10:29 AM
charley5
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Last session with my beloved GFX100S

Just stunning!! The lighting is perfect!

Dec 16, 2022 at 11:20 AM
GoodEgg
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Last session with my beloved GFX100S

Dawn, I agree with all positive comments. I really have liked your style, can't wait to see what Hassie will do for you/us.

My only criticism is that the bottom half of the last three images is too dark, hiding the detail in their dresses.

Dec 16, 2022 at 11:52 AM
JayDavis
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Last session with my beloved GFX100S

Beautiful set of portraits, I don't know what you charged them, but it wasn't enough. These are priceless, treasured memories. Excellent work throughout.

Dec 16, 2022 at 01:56 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Last session with my beloved GFX100S

GoodEgg wrote:
Dawn, I agree with all positive comments. I really have liked your style, can't wait to see what Hassie will do for you/us.

My only criticism is that the bottom half of the last three images is too dark, hiding the detail in their dresses.

The detail is clearly there on a well calibrated monitor. I would check your own monitor to see if you're clipping the last 15 or 20 levels and losing that detail.

Dec 16, 2022 at 01:57 PM
GoodEgg
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Last session with my beloved GFX100S

Calibrated [email protected]

Dec 16, 2022 at 06:00 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Last session with my beloved GFX100S

GoodEgg wrote:
Calibrated [email protected]

I don't want to hijack Dawn's thread, but just saying you did a calibration doesn't mean it was done correctly. What monitor, what colorimeter, what specs, and most importantly, have you made a step wedge that breaks the last ten steps into one or two unit steps going all the way down to zero and maybe up to fifteen or twenty and then see where you stop seeing the steps. One of the biggest mistakes people make is letting the software automatically choose max black on the monitor and that will always clip off 20 or 25 levels. The blackest black is not what you want. Something more around .4 cd/m2 (that's point four) is a more realistic level. And then you have to eliminate extraneous light sources - especially white in your screen or next to it. Whole books have been written about this stuff, but if you did your calibration correctly, you'd see everything in the shadows here with no issues. I do on my Eizo, and surprisingly enough on this M1 MBP as well.

Dec 16, 2022 at 06:11 PM
DanielScott
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Last session with my beloved GFX100S

GoodEgg wrote:

I'm working on a correctly calibrated display and I see what you mean as well. To me it's not that the detail is lost, I can see it throughout the image, but the contrast between the black dress and the flooring is minimal, causing it to blend in a bit and lose some of it's shape, especially compared to the contrast between the red dress and the flooring in the other shots. Just letting you know though, there's no winning that argument regarding your opinion and another member's; I was accused of being color blind the last time I dared criticize their work or not align with their opinion, so just letting you know there's no point and nothing you can say to be "right" even though it's your opinion. For what it's worth, like I said I see what you mean and even if I didn't I would never try to tell you that your opinion about it being too dark is wrong because your opinion is valid.

Dec 16, 2022 at 10:44 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

FoleyAMG
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Last session with my beloved GFX100S

Dawn,

Great captures, very well done...

I am in the same boat...I am currently sitting on my new Hasselblad X2D, the Hasselblad X1DII 50c and my GFX 100s...

The X2D stays of course, I have the 45P, 55v (on Monday/Tuesday, just purchased), 90/3.2 and the 135/with tele...you are going to love using the X2D...

I think the Hasselblad X1DII 50c will be sold off, likely the 45P and likely swap out the old 90 for the new 90v

For the GFX system, I love the camera, but I also love the 110/2 and the 250/F4 specially...not sure I want to let those go just yet...

If Hasselblad would come out with a mid 200mm range to 300mm range plus a 110mm focal length, I could see me parting with the GFX...

Anyways, again great work...

Dec 17, 2022 at 08:44 PM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Last session with my beloved GFX100S

You will LOVE that "Hassy" Dawn!!! A close friend has shot them for many, many years!
Just wonderful images here but it is NOT the camera that displays the final image. It is YOU!
Dan

Dec 18, 2022 at 11:14 AM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Last session with my beloved GFX100S

DanielScott wrote:
I'm working on a correctly calibrated display and I see what you mean as well. To me it's not that the detail is lost, I can see it throughout the image, but the contrast between the black dress and the flooring is minimal, causing it to blend in a bit and lose some of it's shape, especially compared to the contrast between the red dress and the flooring in the other shots. Just letting you know though, there's no winning that argument regarding your opinion and another member's; I was accused of being color blind the last time I dared
...Show more

Give it a rest dude. I explained to you at the time how you fully misunderstood how color management worked and how you were working with a non color managed browser and how that would affect how you viewed color. I don't recall calling you colorblind, only that you were using a browser that would absolutely cause your misperception, and the moderator did delete your posts from my thread. As for the other poster who complained about the images being too dark in the shadows, I still stand by what I said and my explanation. It's not enough to just "calibrate" you screen without knowing how the specifics affect the end result. So, as I also pointed out, it's easy to be calibrated, or at least go through the process and have it mean very little, because, in the process, you've clipped off the bottom end of what your monitor can show you - if in fact it could display that bottom end at all. And, in my short experience with hardware calibrated monitors, the ones that could actually display from zero to 255 were the Sony Artisan, the Barco Reference Calibrator and the Eizo. There's a lot more than just pressing the "Calibrate" button and the hardware and software used does make a difference, as do the room ambience, all of which none is known about the complaining poster, other than he thinks the images are too dark in the shadows.

Dec 18, 2022 at 03:51 PM
DanielScott
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Last session with my beloved GFX100S

Peter Figen wrote:
Give it a rest dude. I explained to you at the time how you fully misunderstood how color management worked and how you were working with a non color managed browser and how that would affect how you viewed color. I don't recall calling you colorblind, only that you were using a browser that would absolutely cause your misperception, and the moderator did delete your posts from my thread. As for the other poster who complained about the images being too dark in the shadows, I still stand by what I said and my explanation. It's not enough to
...Show more
The post where you called me color blind is literally still there. Don't get it twisted; one of my posts in that thread was deleted because it was quoting one of your posts which was deleted in which you cussed me out for critiquing your photo and disagreeing with you. All because I saw an issue with color that I would have removed in one of my own photos, after complimenting your work. I know that the posts were removed because I reported the post in which you cussed me out for not agreeing with you and Fred removed it, and he and I even had a discussion regarding how inappropriate your responses to me in that thread were.

And now you are actually accusing a member here of "complaining" because they offered polite, valid feedback and their own personal opinion in this thread, which was literally requested by the thread author. Saying that GoodEgg is complaining just because you don't agree with their critique and because you assume they use inferior equipment to you simply because you don't agree with their opinion goes completely against the expectation that friendly, valid and constructive critique is welcomed and encouraged in this forum. You are so out of line here, but go off.

Dec 18, 2022 at 04:50 PM
Charles Loy
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Last session with my beloved GFX100S

WOW, amazing photos... thanks

Dec 22, 2022 at 08:38 PM
RafalA
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Last session with my beloved GFX100S

Am I missing something or are none of the images loading?

Dec 27, 2022 at 10:37 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Last session with my beloved GFX100S

Since she did ask for cc, I thought I'd jump into this foray. I agree with GoodEgg and Daniel Scott and I'm thinking Peter may have just misunderstood GoodEgg. I don't think he was saying the pixels were blown and that's how the details were hidden. I think he was just saying that part of the image is too dark, esp considering how light the upper part is. If you think of the ratio of light from the upper part of the image to the lower part of the image, that's really what we're talking about.
In the earlier images with the same full body setting, the lower part wasn't as dark. Of course, in the last three, the dresses are a darker color, but that sometimes requires more light. If the dresses were a light color, it'd be completely different.
Just for the record, my monitors are also calibrated.
I hope this helps.

Dec 30, 2022 at 08:45 AM
James Markus
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Last session with my beloved GFX100S

Dawn,
Congrats on the featured thread win. Your style is very consistent. Since you asked for C&C - I would dial back the skin and eyes retouching (just my subjective opinion), But, if the client is happy that is all that matters. My guess the client is happy.
Jim

Dec 30, 2022 at 10:05 AM
Oscarsmadness
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Last session with my beloved GFX100S

Dawn,
These are amazing! I love your style.

As far as the shadow detail goes, I can see the details. The details are very dark, but then also the dress is dark [friscoron made a compelling argument about this], and I'm supposed to be looking at people's faces anyways, not the edges of their dresses. I think this is a very minor issue.
I'd prefer a little bit more light in the bottom edge of the dress and I think the set would be stronger as a whole if that detail was a bit brighter.
My monitor is calibrated.

One other thing I noticed. Skin tones on the face appear to be far more heavily processed than skin tones on arms, legs, etc. Depending on how you look at these, either the faces look slightly soft, or the arms look slightly "gritty" (I'm using this word loosely). I won't comment on how I like skin texture to look. Rather, this is a question of consistency. This may not be because of anything you did. I ran into this problem myself with a lady who used plenty of makeup on her face and did nothing about the spots and things on her hands.

Can't wait to see what you'll do with the Hasselblad!

Jan 02, 2023 at 09:48 PM
CYT111

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Last session with my beloved GFX100S

Beautiful work! I'm certain your clients LOVE their images. It looks like they enjoyed the experience.
Hope your household has recovered fully from Covid.

Jan 08, 2023 at 01:20 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password