1       2       3              32              34       35       end

Voigtlander 35mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

weezintrumpete
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.33 #1 · p.33 #1 · Voigtlander 35mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

phinix wrote:
Exactly that - I'm willing to get that heavy Type II only for that paint

Did you buy brass version for its paint?

I bought it for it's paint and because it was brass. I figured the brass version would feel more solid, dense, and quality. I tried the Type I aluminum version recently and I would switch to that immediately if it wasn't for the matte finish. The lighter weight made a big difference in my mind, but I'm shallow, so I'll keep my Type II (for now)

Aug 08, 2023 at 12:24 PM
phinix
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.33 #2 · p.33 #2 · Voigtlander 35mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

weezintrumpete wrote:
I bought it for it's paint and because it was brass. I figured the brass version would feel more solid, dense, and quality. I tried the Type I aluminum version recently and I would switch to that immediately if it wasn't for the matte finish. The lighter weight made a big difference in my mind, but I'm shallow, so I'll keep my Type II (for now)

Oh, you're not making it easier for me
I would go for Type II for its paint and solid feel, but I always preferred lighter lens. I have 35mm 1.7 Ultron which is about 240g, plus Voigtlander adapter (70g) on my Sony, it is 310g, so heavier than 284g Type II. Having this mounted on my a7c it feels ok, not too heavy. Getting type II, it would be this plus some (284g lens + 70g adapter) would be over 350g.
Someone would say that its not that heavy, but with body that small it makes difference. It starts to pull lens down when holding in hand or on neck. Then again, I'm moaning about 40g difference here...
Type I is what, 180g? with adapter it would be 250g, less than 1.7 Ultron on my Sony.

Sometimes I just think I should just let it go, stay with my 35/1.7 Ultron and stop looking for new lens. But then, once I tried new lens recently - CV 21mm 3.5 Color Skopar Type II, I noticed how sharp it is, even compared to 40/1.2. So I thought, all those new Cosina lens are better, newer technology, sharper, so 35/1.5 would also be sharper/better than older 1.7 Ultron.
My head is spinning...

Aug 08, 2023 at 04:25 PM
ZdevilH1
• • •
p.33 #3 · p.33 #3 · Voigtlander 35mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

phinix wrote:
Which version do you guys have? Light or heavy one?
Is the 284g Type II version really heavy?

I decided I wanted the Typ I, I wanted the lightest possible set up

Aug 08, 2023 at 05:20 PM
highdesertmesa
• • • •
p.33 #4 · p.33 #4 · Voigtlander 35mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

weezintrumpete wrote:

But would you even want black gloss paint over aluminum what would wear away to show silver instead of brass? For me that would defeat the purpose of the vintage black paint.

Would the black paint feel as nice/warm if applied to aluminum and not brass? IDK

Aug 08, 2023 at 05:54 PM
fjablo
• • •
p.33 #5 · p.33 #5 · Voigtlander 35mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

Some Munich museums with the CV 35mm
(the one with the guy on the stairs is not critically sharp.. I was pushing how what I can handhold with IBIS as I wanted people to blur a bit)

Glyptothek CV 35mm by Felix, auf Flickr

Pinakothek CV 35mm by Felix, auf Flickr

Pinakothek CV 35mm by Felix, auf Flickr

Aug 13, 2023 at 09:04 AM
thrice
• • • •
p.33 #6 · p.33 #6 · Voigtlander 35mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

So after thinking it's all my deteriorating eyes for months I've taken the time to do a careful test of my silver chrome 35/1.5 nokton and found that the lens is back focusing. RF on the camera is accurate with my 75/1.5 and 35 ZM distagon so I'm pretty sure it's just the lens.
Never had a Voigtlander lens serviced, wonder what the process is like when I bought it overseas.

Edit: I'll just get is serviced locally at my cost. Cheaper than shipping it away and dealing with all the headaches.
Shims are easily accessed, they're under the dof scale which lifts off if you remove the mount via the 4 screws. I have one of each (silver, brass and copper) but I doubt that means anything. They're 49.1mm OD and 42.85mm ID with 4 equidistant spaced 2mm holes (to match mount pattern) in them. In case this helps anyone.

Aug 15, 2023 at 08:00 PM
thrice
• • • •
p.33 #7 · p.33 #7 · Voigtlander 35mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

In case anyone is curious, the process for getting the lens assessed under warranty is that it goes back to the retailer (in my case in Austria) then it goes to Japan. In Japan Cosina/Voigtlander say it is a 2-3 month lead time to get the lens looked at. No guarantee of repair or anything, just to get to the front of the queue.

They must have a massive surplus of repairs/servicing or shortage of people. That's longer than even Leica these days.

They refuse to sell their shims.

I am not going to waste months of time, other people's effort and natural resources sending a lens around the world just to be told "it's within acceptable tolerances" or similar. I will get the shims manufactured locally and probably in surplus, in case anyone else needs to adjust their lens and is competent with a screwdriver.

Aug 21, 2023 at 08:19 PM
marcelography

p.33 #8 · p.33 #8 · Voigtlander 35mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

oh, the joys of shooting with rangefinders. it's why I usually prefer to stick with what I already have, am used to and know it's working just fine.

Sep 01, 2023 at 09:16 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.33 #9 · p.33 #9 · Voigtlander 35mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

thrice wrote:
In case anyone is curious, the process for getting the lens assessed under warranty is that it goes back to the retailer (in my case in Austria) then it goes to Japan. In Japan Cosina/Voigtlander say it is a 2-3 month lead time to get the lens looked at. No guarantee of repair or anything, just to get to the front of the queue.

They must have a massive surplus of repairs/servicing or shortage of people. That's longer than even Leica these days.

They refuse to sell their shims.

I am not going to waste months of time, other people's effort and
...Show more

Is the lens front or back focusing?

Sep 01, 2023 at 09:33 AM
david6908

p.33 #10 · p.33 #10 · Voigtlander 35mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

This lens is great, totally exceeded my expectations, especially considering its affordable price...

Sep 01, 2023 at 10:54 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

david6908

p.33 #11 · p.33 #11 · Voigtlander 35mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

Sep 01, 2023 at 10:54 AM
thrice
• • • •
p.33 #12 · p.33 #12 · Voigtlander 35mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

Hi Fred,
It's back focusing so I need to add shims. I've finally got a quote for them so should be able to fix it soon enough.
Dan

Fred Miranda wrote:
Is the lens front or back focusing?

Sep 01, 2023 at 05:26 PM
Paul.S

p.33 #13 · p.33 #13 · Voigtlander 35mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

It'd make a good post if you could take some pics of the process for those members that might have similar issues.
Good luck Dan

thrice wrote:
Hi Fred,
It's back focusing so I need to add shims. I've finally got a quote for them so should be able to fix it soon enough.
Dan

Sep 01, 2023 at 05:55 PM
thrice
• • • •
p.33 #14 · p.33 #14 · Voigtlander 35mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

Thanks Paul,
I can take some pics sure. It's very straight forward, undo 4 screws, mount lifts off, dof scale lifts off, shims exposed.

Paul.S wrote:
It'd make a good post if you could take some pics of the process for those members that might have similar issues.
Good luck Dan

Sep 01, 2023 at 08:56 PM
Paul.S

p.33 #15 · p.33 #15 · Voigtlander 35mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

Awesome Thrice, and any chance of where/how you got the shims made up.

Cheers

Sep 01, 2023 at 09:26 PM
thrice
• • • •
p.33 #16 · p.33 #16 · Voigtlander 35mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

Hi Paul,
I'm getting them laser cut by mastercut in Queensland (Australia) to my specifications. Not cheap, 7 shims are 150 aud+post+tax.
Cheers,
Dan

Paul.S wrote:
Awesome Thrice, and any chance of where/how you got the shims made up.

Cheers

Sep 01, 2023 at 10:22 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.33 #17 · p.33 #17 · Voigtlander 35mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

thrice wrote:
Hi Fred,
Dan

Great news that's it's back-focusing. It's much easier when you just have to add shims. You could make very thin shims from a soda can or thick aluminum foil. (see image)

Alternative you could buy small round shims and place them inside the mount screws. I use the MISUMI brand:
https://us.misumi-ec.com/vona2/detail/110302677870/

You can buy them at different thickness like: PCIMRS2-4-0.01, PCIMRS2-4-0.03 and PCIMRS2-4-0.05. Like that you can start with 0.01 and play with other thicknesses or combinations.

soda can (TOP), Aluminum foil (BOTTOM)

Sep 01, 2023 at 10:32 PM
thrice
• • • •
p.33 #18 · p.33 #18 · Voigtlander 35mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

That is smart, and arguably significantly cheaper.
I just double-checked and I have two shims not three, I got confused because one side of the 'steel' looking shim is copper coloured. One shim is 0.15mm the other is 0.18mm. I don't have a super-high-end pair of calipers so that might be off a little.
The company here which is making the shims for me can do 0.025, 0.05 and 0.1 so perhaps with a mix of those I can get it dialled in perfectly.

Fred Miranda wrote:
Great news that's it's back-focusing. It's much easier when you just have to add shims. You could make very thin shims from a soda can or thick aluminum foil. (see image)

Alternative you could buy small round shims and place them inside the mount screws. I use the MISUMI brand:
https://us.misumi-ec.com/vona2/detail/110302677870/

You can buy them at different thickness like: PCIMRS2-4-0.01, PCIMRS2-4-0.03 and PCIMRS2-4-0.05. Like that you can start with 0.01 and play with other thicknesses or combinations.

Sep 02, 2023 at 01:48 AM
nampramos
• • •
p.33 #19 · p.33 #19 · Voigtlander 35mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

Any chance someone has the 40/1.2 SE for Sony and this 35/1.5 and could take a side by side photo, preferably with the 35 mounted on the M-E adapter?

If I look at the specs of each lens directly from Voigtlander website, we have:

40/1.2 SE Sony at 51,9mm in length and 340g
35/1.5 M at 36mm in length and 188g

I wonder if it is the total length or just from flange to filter ring?

Can anyone remind me how much length is added to the whole lens + adapter combo when paired together? Is it 9.8mm? Flange sizes Leica 27.80 mm and Sony 18.00mm?

I have been out of the game for many years but just recently picked up a classic of an A7s and keen on getting a 35 or 40 MF lens to pair it with.

Sep 02, 2023 at 03:36 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.33 #20 · p.33 #20 · Voigtlander 35mm f/1.5 Nokton Review

thrice wrote:
That is smart, and arguably significantly cheaper.
I just double-checked and I have two shims not three, I got confused because one side of the 'steel' looking shim is copper coloured. One shim is 0.15mm the other is 0.18mm. I don't have a super-high-end pair of calipers so that might be off a little.
The company here which is making the shims for me can do 0.025, 0.05 and 0.1 so perhaps with a mix of those I can get it dialled in perfectly.

Let us know how it works! I recently found out that some lenses have shims in the front: https://www.yukosteel.com/2023/08/disassembly-voigtlander-50mm-f12-nokton.html

Sep 06, 2023 at 06:37 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.