New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2022 · Cinematic Headshots

AlexCruise

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Cinematic Headshots

I wanted to give Headshots a try. I think these turned out decent. It was my first time actually using off camera flash outside and indoors. Its first time i really played with them for a few hours.
Nikon Z6II + Nikkor Z 70-200mm ƒ/2.8 VR S
Lighting: Cross Light | Key Light Godox AD600Pro [Glow ParaSnap 44" Octa (Single Diffused)] / Rim Light Godox AD200Pro [Glow EZ Lock ARC Curved Strip Softbox 16x60 (Single Diffused)] | Profoto 33" Reflector Underneath on a Tripod with Reflector Holder Boom

Sep 16, 2022 at 11:34 AM
formula4speed
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Cinematic Headshots

The expressions and lighting look good to me.

I did notice the skin tones seem to change fairly significantly through the set (WB?) which I'm surprised to see since you were using strobes.

Since the backgrounds don't see to be important here, you could consider shooting portrait orientation.

I want to fix his tie in the last couple shots where it loosened up, but that's exactly the kind of thing I always notice after the fact when I shoot too.

All that said, you did a nice job.

Sep 16, 2022 at 03:26 PM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Cinematic Headshots

Alex, I think these are wonderful BUT..your lights are seen in his eyes. My only nit.
Great job!
Dan

Sep 18, 2022 at 09:28 AM
DanielScott
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Cinematic Headshots

Really well done. Personally I think the reflection of your lights in his eyes (otherwise called catchlights) is a very good thing. If a portrait doesn't have catchlights in the eyes then to me the eyes look dead, and personally I like there to be two in each eye, as you've done here.

Sep 18, 2022 at 11:30 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Cinematic Headshots

+1 with the others ... you're off to a nice start.

formula4speed wrote:
I did notice the skin tones seem to change fairly significantly through the set (WB?) which I'm surprised to see since you were using strobes.

Suit color has a noticeable shift to it, also.

I'm guessing that it has to do with the amount of ambient difference between exterior and interior light levels.

By that, I mean that in the exterior shots, the amount of illumination being provided by the strobe is likely less (see catchlights). This could either be a product of lighting placement distance, or camera settings to allow more ambient light, i.e. lower power of strobe. This then shifts the balance of ambient light temp vs. strobe light temp away from the strobe. And, to that point, it looks like the subject is in the shade, so the ambient temp would be cooler than strobe temp.

Whereas in the interior setup, the ambient is much less, and the strobe takes on the stronger key lighting balance, with much less influence from ambient (likely warmer). In the exterior shots, the strobe may be taking on closer to a fill role, rather than key. Note the difference in tonality / contrast of the subject (softer in exterior shots, crisper in interior shots) ... indicating the amount of influence between strobe / ambient relationship. That relationship exists for both luminance and temp as the two light sources merge.

Notice the difference in the left collar, as the strobe light falls off. In the exterior shots, the left collar is cyan / cool, in the interior shots, the left collar is warmer. As the light from the strobe falls off, the ambient influence is revealed.

Curious to see the exif data for the different scenes.

This reminds me of another member who expressed his disdain for shooting weddings where the groom wore blue. It is a tricky proposition with mixed lighting (ambient and strobe) to keep it consistent. That said, these are still nice ... just two different color of suits. Hard to say for sure, which one is "correct" (leaning toward interior, with more key strobe influence or split the difference) ... but, I'd look to see if I could adjust them so they are more closely matched. Skin tones would likely follow.

Again, nice start.

Sep 19, 2022 at 07:53 AM
saaketham
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Cinematic Headshots

Nice set

Sep 19, 2022 at 09:09 AM
AlexCruise

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Cinematic Headshots

formula4speed wrote:
The expressions and lighting look good to me.

Since the backgrounds don't see to be important here, you could consider shooting portrait orientation.

I want to fix his tie in the last couple shots where it loosened up, but that's exactly the kind of thing I always notice after the fact when I shoot too.

All that said, you did a nice job.

Thank you for the CC. I will keep WB in mind next time. I do need to pay closer attention to the tie. I didnt even notice he loosened it up until I was home.

---------------------------------------------

Danpbphoto wrote:
Alex, I think these are wonderful BUT..your lights are seen in his eyes. My only nit.
Great job!
Dan

I was told if you are using strobes that you should always have catch lights in the eyes.
I will take a few without any catch lights next time.

DanielScott wrote:
Really well done. Personally I think the reflection of your lights in his eyes (otherwise called catchlights) is a very good thing. If a portrait doesn't have catchlights in the eyes then to me the eyes look dead, and personally I like there to be two in each eye, as you've done here.

Thank you. It's what i was taught as well that there should always be catch lights if you are using strobes. One is the strobe and other is the reflector underneath.

RustyBug wrote:
+1 with the others ... you're off to a nice start.

Suit color has a noticeable shift to it, also.

I'm guessing that it has to do with the amount of ambient difference between exterior and interior light levels.

By that, I mean that in the exterior shots, the amount of illumination being provided by the strobe is likely less (see catchlights). This could either be a product of lighting placement distance, or camera settings to allow more ambient light, i.e. lower power of strobe. This then shifts the balance of ambient light temp vs. strobe light temp away from the strobe.
...Show more

Thank you for your CC. I really appreciate that and will def keep some of the things that you mentioned.
I do think the suit was more the color of the outside shots. I did play a little bit with color grading the inside shots as they seemed a little bland to me.

saaketham wrote:
Nice set

Thank you sir.

Sep 21, 2022 at 12:16 PM
John Caldwell
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Cinematic Headshots

Nice exposures and tones. Some will say that direction of gaze should always be in the axis of head tilt.

Oct 02, 2022 at 10:57 AM
Paul.K
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Cinematic Headshots

I don't know what all the fuss about WB and the suit color/skin tone are. Even with strobes, I wouldn't aim for the exact same color balance indoors and out. Some scenes have light that is warmer and some is cooler and I don't correct back to clinical balanced tones for every photograph in different places. I let it vary a bit with the expected lighting a little bit. You don't remove all the yellow light for a candlelight setting, for example. You did well.

Oct 02, 2022 at 02:59 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.