Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1              3       4       5       end
  

Archive 2022 · The Confessions of a 14-Year YouTube Gear Reviewer

  
 
Alistair1
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · The Confessions of a 14-Year YouTube Gear Reviewer




jwolfe wrote:
That is true, but I think someone who's not in bed with a particular company is far more valuable than a paid stooge. Or someone who just wants to generate clicks.



I broadly agree with the sentiment.

But we need to understand that EVERYONE on the internet just wants to generate clicks. That's the business model. Further, that "paid stooge" and "being in bed with a particular company" are not defined in binary terms. They appear at all points along the scale of 1 to 100. I cannot think of anyone who, at one time or another, has not featured somewhere along such scales.



Sep 16, 2022 at 04:25 PM
jwolfe
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · The Confessions of a 14-Year YouTube Gear Reviewer


Everyone who reviews, well at least most, are provided the equipment to review. And I have no problem with that on itís face. But when you start either being on the payroll or indulging in tons of perks from a certain brand thatís a no for me. Unfortunately there are only a handful of people or companies that donít partake. Most of the idiots on YouTube are worthless. Thereís a few that I like but not many.

Alistair1 wrote:
I broadly agree with the sentiment.

But we need to understand that EVERYONE on the internet just wants to generate clicks. That's the business model. Further, that "paid stooge" and "being in bed with a particular company" are not defined in binary terms. They appear at all points along the scale of 1 to 100. I cannot think of anyone who, at one time or another, has not featured somewhere along such scales.




Sep 16, 2022 at 05:21 PM
1bwana1
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · The Confessions of a 14-Year YouTube Gear Reviewer



jwolfe wrote:
PRM used to flood SportsShooter with posts about Sony before he got kicked off. I don't have respect for that. Don't get me wrong, I like Sony cameras, but I have no respect for their "pro" marketing.



So now we are getting down to the real brass tacks. You have a personal dislike for Patrick and you choose to interject that into this discussion without disclosure. Fine let's leave that behind.

As far as Sony marketing goes it is really good. Whith it Sony rose to become the number one company in imaging in the World in a relatively short period of time. That kind of result must be respected and admired.



Sep 16, 2022 at 05:28 PM
jwolfe
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · The Confessions of a 14-Year YouTube Gear Reviewer


I donít know Patrick from a random guy on the street. I come from the world of professional sports and editorial photography. In the early days of Sony he was dumping posts all over on the pro sites and posting reviews without disclosing he was being paid by Sony. I have no respect for that, no matter who it is.

Sony has good tech but I guess if youíre cool with them paying people all over the internet to present ďreviewsĒ when they are really in bed with Sony thatís fine. But thatís not a review - itís promotion.

Maybe Iím too old now and thatís the way of the world. But Iíll stick with the few people who arenít going on exotic all expanse paid trips or getting paid to push one brand over the other.

1bwana1 wrote:
So now we are getting down to the real brass tacks. You have a personal dislike for Patrick and you choose to interject that into this discussion without disclosure. Fine let's leave that behind.

As far as Sony marketing goes it is really good. Whith it Sony rose to become the number one company in imaging in the World in a relatively short period of time. That kind of result must be respected and admired.




Sep 16, 2022 at 05:48 PM
1bwana1
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · The Confessions of a 14-Year YouTube Gear Reviewer


jwolfe wrote:
Maybe Iím too old now and thatís the way of the world. But Iíll stick with the few people who arenít going on exotic all expanse paid trips or getting paid to push one brand over the other.



Still looking for some names....



Sep 16, 2022 at 06:11 PM
RoamingScott
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · The Confessions of a 14-Year YouTube Gear Reviewer


Itís the only reason I hang out here. Everyone is spending their own money and the results are easier to see and take in than a shilly YouTube.

Mark Smith and Thom Heaton spring to mind on YT however.

1bwana1 wrote:
Still looking for some names....




Sep 16, 2022 at 06:19 PM
jwolfe
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · The Confessions of a 14-Year YouTube Gear Reviewer


Iím not really interested in getting into a protracted debate about whatever I post. Because it seems like youíre looking for an argument. So Iíll pass.

1bwana1 wrote:
Still looking for some names....




Sep 16, 2022 at 06:19 PM
1bwana1
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · The Confessions of a 14-Year YouTube Gear Reviewer


jwolfe wrote:
Iím not really interested in getting into a protracted debate about whatever I post. Because it seems like youíre looking for an argument. So Iíll pass.




Many are like this so no surprise. Freely posting names of those they don't like. But unwilling to post the name of someone who holds up to stated standards so the good can be evaluated in contrast to the bad. Even though saying he knows a few.

Then a standard banal deflection as a reason he won't do it.

Yes, considering this, best that you pass....





Sep 16, 2022 at 07:03 PM
1bwana1
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · The Confessions of a 14-Year YouTube Gear Reviewer


RoamingScott wrote:
Mark Smith and Thom Heaton spring to mind on YT however.



Courage and confidence in one's opinions. I do admire that admire that.

Both that have admitted getting perks of equipment use, and travel, in reward for using, testing, and reporting on various equipment over the last few years. Fully disclosed, and seemingly not corrupting their views and honesty. The realities of the World comfortably mixed with solid ethics.



Sep 16, 2022 at 07:08 PM
jwolfe
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · The Confessions of a 14-Year YouTube Gear Reviewer


I donít have to explain myself to you. Youíre the one who attacked me in the first place. Iím not here to get into some long argument. Some people want to spend all of their time on forums arguing. Iím not into that.

So a good day to you.

1bwana1 wrote:
Many are like this so no surprise. Freely posting names of those they don't like. But unwilling to post the name of someone who holds up to stated standards so the good can be evaluated in contrast to the bad. Even though saying he knows a few.

Then a standard banal deflection as a reason he won't do it.

Yes, considering this, best that you pass....





Sep 16, 2022 at 07:17 PM
1bwana1
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · The Confessions of a 14-Year YouTube Gear Reviewer


jwolfe wrote:
There are some truly independent reviewers out there. Most of the "influencers" are paid stooges by Sony. Give them credit, it works.


Well that was some pretty strong language that implied that you had strong opinions to be discussed.


jwolfe wrote:
I donít have to explain myself to you. Youíre the one who attacked me in the first place. Iím not here to get into some long argument. Some people want to spend all of their time on forums arguing. Iím not into that.

So a good day to you.


Well at least we agree that we have to be selective about who we give credibility to on the various influencer platforms. Motives are often not transparent.




Sep 16, 2022 at 07:55 PM
hans98ko
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · The Confessions of a 14-Year YouTube Gear Reviewer


1bwana1 wrote:
Can you please name someone who you feel lives up to this standard.


Well, you want one and I got one that comes to mind that always stays on FM Nikon Forum but talks nothing good about Nikon other than kept posting Financial Reports about how Nikon is not doing well and Sony is leading, or Nikon is dependent on Sony sensor technology or processes.
This guy has no photographic skills or post a single picture that impresses me and he uses a moniker "1bawna1"
I am sure you are familiar with him right?
🤣



Sep 16, 2022 at 08:23 PM
1bwana1
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · The Confessions of a 14-Year YouTube Gear Reviewer


hans98ko wrote:
Well, you want one and I got one that comes to mind that always stay on FM Nikon Forum but talks nothing good about Nikon other than kept posting Financial Reports about how Nikon is not doing well and Sony is leading, or Nikon is dependent on Sony sensor technology or processes.
This guy never post a single picture that impresses me and he uses a moniker "1bawna1"
I am sure you are familiar with him right?
🤣



Very familiar with him. Not qualified to be a reviewer. Has been very positive about Nikon for some time now. Cameras since the Z 6II/7II releases, fully positive on the Z9, and positive financially since the stock bottomed and position cleared.

Like always you are way behind in your information.

He does post a good amount of images, but I am sure none with the intent of of impressing you, who hasn't the balls to post a single image here, and often post unintelligible nonsense on a variety of subjects.

However, I am sure he is actually appreciative of your recognition of the his integrity posts.





Sep 16, 2022 at 08:38 PM
hans98ko
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · The Confessions of a 14-Year YouTube Gear Reviewer


Well, maybe you should check the Top 15 if you haven't seen one or go read an article on Nikon Rumors on how to travel light and shooting wide posted by me.
I would rather not pay to post pictures but prefers corporate clients paying me for the pictures



Sep 16, 2022 at 08:45 PM
1bwana1
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · The Confessions of a 14-Year YouTube Gear Reviewer


hans98ko wrote:
Well, maybe you should check the Top 15 if you haven't seen one or go read an article on Nikon Rumors on how to travel light and shooting wide posted by me.
I would rather not pay to post pictures but prefers corporate clients paying me for the pictures


You are right I hadn't looked at the top 15 since uploads were empty. Some interesting shots and compositing of images work. Thanks for pointing them out.



Sep 16, 2022 at 09:17 PM
hans98ko
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · The Confessions of a 14-Year YouTube Gear Reviewer


You are always welcome.
I don't post because most of the shots are related to work and I don't want myself unwittingly getting into trouble.



Sep 16, 2022 at 09:26 PM
philip_pj
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · The Confessions of a 14-Year YouTube Gear Reviewer


Thanks so much for posting this mea culpa from Steve Huff.


Sep 17, 2022 at 12:52 AM
tzhang4284
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · The Confessions of a 14-Year YouTube Gear Reviewer


Anyone who spent meaningful time in the business world knows that a good marketing game doesn't hide a bad product. Also, influencers depend on credibility to maintain their followers - if they shill bad products, they will lose their followers over time - they're more of an accelerant to hype a good product than have the ability to convince a lot of customers that a bad product is a good product.

Case in point, once Nikon had a product worthy of hype (the Z9 and all those telephoto lenses), they engaged with the same type of photographer influencers to really accelerate the hype and it's worked as you can see by the long backorders for those products.



Sep 17, 2022 at 01:24 AM
EB-1
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · The Confessions of a 14-Year YouTube Gear Reviewer


I don't know anybody that relies on U-Tube for buying a Z9. Maybe the Milleniums or Gen Zs are subliminally motivated? Most Nikon system users don't have much choice if they want the high performance level and they want to use Nikkors. (The Z7 II is not at the same level.)

FWIW, Z9s are becoming more available now. I passed on my spot in line as the Z lens situation is too questionable at this time.

EBH



Sep 17, 2022 at 01:36 AM
jwolfe
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · The Confessions of a 14-Year YouTube Gear Reviewer


Nikon isnít selling Z9ís because of influencers. Theyíre selling them because itís the first legit Nikon mirrorless camera that can take on Sony.

tzhang4284 wrote:
Anyone who spent meaningful time in the business world knows that a good marketing game doesn't hide a bad product. Also, influencers depend on credibility to maintain their followers - if they shill bad products, they will lose their followers over time - they're more of an accelerant to hype a good product than have the ability to convince a lot of customers that a bad product is a good product.

Case in point, once Nikon had a product worthy of hype (the Z9 and all those telephoto lenses), they engaged with the same type of photographer influencers to really accelerate
...Show more



Sep 17, 2022 at 11:14 AM
1              3       4       5       end




FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1              3       4       5       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password



This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.