Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Cassandra

A shoot a did with my friend Cassandra a couple months ago,

Sep 01, 2022 at 02:04 AM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Cassandra

A very classy woman and extremely nimble!
I really like her in the gown! Excellent exposures!
Dan

Sep 01, 2022 at 10:20 AM
keepclicking
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Cassandra

I donít do people photography so my comments are as a cutoff this set. Action images seems to be have tight crop leading to hands and legs cropped off and it looks odd. The images in gown are superb.

Sep 01, 2022 at 10:38 AM
Ubiquity99
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Cassandra

keepclicking wrote:
I donít do people photography so my comments are as a cutoff this set. Action images seems to be have tight crop leading to hands and legs cropped off and it looks odd. The images in gown are superb.

Wasn't much I could do about it due to space constraints. I was literally backed up against a wall. But that's NYC apartments for you.

Sep 01, 2022 at 11:12 AM
crow high
• •
[X]
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Cassandra

Ubiquity99 wrote:
Wasn't much I could do about it due to space constraints. I was literally backed up against a wall. But that's NYC apartments for you.

you mean lofts right? That woman was hanging from something. Wow an apartment huh. No apartments in this city would have ceilings high enough or strong enough to hold a woman that I know of.

I think the Photographs taken with a pink lighting could have been processed into black and white via whatever you got.

I don't like the lighting on the women in the pink portraits at all. And this is why. Her face is in almost all of them and there are dark lines, ugly lines on her face. The contrast of the pink appears to have been increased and doesn't add to the appeal of the photograph. Although that said I do like #4.

The portraits of the woman sitting on the recliner/couch/seat .. I see that you didn't move the furniture around the whole shoot. And that the only different angle you got was when she turned her head or twisted her abdomen.

I think you could have moved the camera about to get different angles.

I noticed there is a chalk board behind the woman. And you scrubbed some yellow chalk on it behind her. That was interesting. Although I don't think it helps her image over all. The reason I say this is because the chalk abruptly stops and then there's evidence of past scrubbing and black board. It's like if you used a gradient in Photoshop and you put it behind her but it abruptly stopped without covering the rest of the back ground. It detracts from your subject matter.

Sep 02, 2022 at 01:32 AM
Ubiquity99
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Cassandra

crow high wrote
I noticed there is a chalk board behind the woman. And you scrubbed some yellow chalk on it behind her. That was interesting. Although I don't think it helps her image over all. The reason I say this is because the chalk abruptly stops and then there's evidence of past scrubbing and black board. It's like if you used a gradient in Photoshop and you put it behind her but it abruptly stopped without covering the rest of the back ground. It detracts from your subject matter.

They're painted canvas backdrops.

https://www.gravitybackdrops.com/

Sep 02, 2022 at 10:00 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

crow high
• •
[X]
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Cassandra

Ok I'm sorry. I edit my comment. I'll try to explain better.

There are advertisers that sell things at price points like $99.00 and then go on to sell something else for $29.99..

If you don't understand what I mean by that.

You submitted a link to a website that has canvas back drops. Even an image of what? An actor in front of one image?

You corrected me that it wasn't a chalk board. Ok. Is that all I'm supposed to say?

If I say I don't like it. Then shouldn't I explain why I don't like it? If I don't like it and you try to sell your photographs and no one in the real world likes them because you used the wrong back drop, am I not helping you? But everyone on these forums that do bother to comment on your thread say nothing but I like it. Or you could crop it here or there.

I said you could buy a canvas drop that painter's use. I said this because where did this website. This business get the idea to use canvas with chalk smudges from? Painting's maybe? Acrylic and oil painting's on canvas? That's what I thought.

So this business thought it could do something similar. And I said you'd have something more original if you used a painter's drop canvas. Have you ever seen them? They can look very artistic. Unintentionally so.

I don't agree with you that the backdrop helps the subject. or doesn't detract from your subject. I'm focusing on your back drop instead of your friend. The model. Doesn't that tell you anything?

I know someone who swears that Dyson vacuum cleaners are the best machines in the world. And they suck better and more powerful then any other cleaner. But it's not true. There are plenty of machines out there that do better. But they spend a lot of money on advertising. So it must be better. And I think that is what is happening here. You are like her. Your very insulted that it can't be anything but the best of the best. And here I am telling you I think it's a bad background that is negatively affecting your photography.

Edited on Sep 02, 2022 at 04:58 PM · View previous versions

Sep 02, 2022 at 02:46 PM
Ubiquity99
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Cassandra

crow high wrote:
Wow I wasn't expecting that. Your photography looks much better then the pictures on that website you know.

Ghastly. Beastly. Horrible back grounds. Who would use heavy canvas as a back drop with smeared chalk over it. OOhhhhhhhhhhh. Canvas. As in paint on canvas idea. But house painters use canvas back drops like these to protect the floors and furniture. Why not buy a used drop from a painter. Each one of those would be unique.

🙄

I try to be a pretty positive person, but this is...one of the most idiotic comments I've ever seen.

Sep 02, 2022 at 03:09 PM
Rajan Parrikar
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Cassandra

The action shots appeal to me the most. They convey supple and sensual in a nice way.

Sep 03, 2022 at 04:41 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Cassandra

Quite the set.

Might do us a favor and number them in the caption area. Would make it much easier to reference.

Interesting to hear of the "tight quarters" in the apartment.

Many of the aerial shots, do seem a bit "posed". Not sure if that is a byproduct of the freeze frame from strobe, of if she was actually stopping to strike a pose. Things just look a slight bit contrived, tension in her face, etc. Also, wondering if you might allow a bit of motion blur with a different SS speed to help convey the action in some. That, or maybe a softer modifier. Not a major issue, just wondering about some things for your "next shoot".

The volume of images presented ... the pink gets old after a bit. BUT, I'm thinking that there are some that would make nice monochrome conversions. Again, not a major issue, just an alternative thought.

#11 (I think I counted right) is one of my fav's. I like how she is relatively contained, in almost an embryonic realm, and then the hair exiting downward. That, and the lighted smoke to the upper right has just enough pull that we don't get too fixed on her centrally.

The gold gowns are nice, too.

I'm sure you guys had a great time with all of these.

Sep 03, 2022 at 09:41 AM
Ubiquity99
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Cassandra

RustyBug wrote:
Quite the set.

Might do us a favor and number them in the caption area. Would make it much easier to reference.

Interesting to hear of the "tight quarters" in the apartment.

I actually picked up a 35mm last week just to try to solve the tight cropping problem. Only thing now is my black backdrop isn't quite wide enough to cover the wider field of view. Looking to pick up a 12ft wide backdrop before my next attempt.

RustyBug wrote:
Many of the aerial shots, do seem a bit "posed". Not sure if that is a byproduct of the freeze frame from strobe, of if she was actually stopping to strike a pose. Things just look a slight bit contrived, tension in her face, etc. Also, wondering if you might allow a bit of motion blur with a different SS speed to help convey the action in some. That, or maybe a softer modifier. Not a major issue, just wondering about some things for your "next shoot".

Actually the opposite, she was rotating pretty quickly for everything.

It's kind of the look I was going for tbh, since I also photograph the same people live at events and get plenty of motion blur in those shots.

I have tried experimenting with some long shutters and front/back curtain flash. Still working on the mechanics of that...it's tricky.

Sep 03, 2022 at 04:34 PM
gaopa
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Cassandra

those are all beautiful photos of a beautiful model....

Sep 05, 2022 at 03:22 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.