New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2022 · Randy Jacobs, guitarist

Peter Figen
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Randy Jacobs, guitarist

I just dug up this image of Randy Jacobs I shot for Guitar Player Magazine thirty years ago. They never used this and thanks to modern scanning and retouching, it really came alive today. T-Max100 with an RZ67 was always a great combo. Randy first got known playing in Detroit with Was Not Was but has gone on to play with a huge variety of artists in many genres of music, including Bonnie Raitt, BB King, Seal, Paula Abdul, Kris Kristofferson, Ofra Haza, Tears For Fears, Warren Hill and others.

Since this was shot in the alley behind the old studio in Venice, Ca. I'm pretty sure I just ran an extension cord into the alley and lit this with the Balcars. Well, it looks like it's just a single light, probably with a 12 inch reflector and a grid spot.

Randy Jacobs

Aug 24, 2022 at 04:38 PM
Dneufarth
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Randy Jacobs, guitarist

Outstanding image Peter.

Derek

Aug 24, 2022 at 05:24 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Randy Jacobs, guitarist

Dneufarth wrote:
Outstanding image Peter.

Derek

Thanks Derek. It's always nice to find something you like that you'd completely forgotten.

Aug 24, 2022 at 05:38 PM
James Markus
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Randy Jacobs, guitarist

Love the composition, and only have one nit that I would have changed.

Aug 25, 2022 at 01:14 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Randy Jacobs, guitarist

James Markus wrote:
Love the composition, and only have one nit that I would have changed.

There's probably stuff I would have changed as well, but it was thirty years ago, so I'm okay with it now. What was your nit

Aug 25, 2022 at 01:32 PM
James Markus
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Randy Jacobs, guitarist

Peter,
That's why I didn't mention it. In 1992 it would have been Photoshop v2.0, or 2.5. The nit was the highlight reflection off the top of his head. Sometimes retouching gradients like that were difficult in Photoshop. I would have likely made a feather edge radial fill using the lightest nearby tone, and the darkest nearby tone. A different application of an alpha channel "tip" I learned from Kai Krause on a Compuserv BBS I read at the time.
Jim
Peter Figen wrote:
There's probably stuff I would have changed as well, but it was thirty years ago, so I'm okay with it now. What was your nit

Aug 25, 2022 at 04:22 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Randy Jacobs, guitarist

James Markus wrote:
Peter,
That's why I didn't mention it. In 1992 it would have been Photoshop v2.0, or 2.5. The nit was the highlight reflection off the top of his head. Sometimes retouching gradients like that were difficult in Photoshop. I would have likely made a feather edge radial fill using the lightest nearby tone, and the darkest nearby tone. A different application of an alpha channel "tip" I learned from Kai Krause on a Compuserv BBS I read at the time.
Jim

I see your point. I looked at that and did smooth out a shadow line on the camera left side of his face from the sun but left the reflection on top as it didn't really bother me. I think I might have taken it down a touch but I was okay with it. And yes, that would probably have be v2 back then. I started with v3 in January of '95. Layers but no adjustment layers yet. You really had to plan it out and be creative back then.

Aug 25, 2022 at 05:13 PM
keepclicking
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Randy Jacobs, guitarist

Peter, man that looks so real and your work is always very impressive. YGMV

Aug 26, 2022 at 12:58 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.