Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2022 · Mornings at Point Lobos

gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Mornings at Point Lobos

I have lived within a slightly more than one-hour drive from Point Lobos since I was a small child, and I did some of my first "serious" photography there as a teenager. I've been going back ever since. These days I usually watch the weather reports and try to pick a weekday (fewer tourists) early morning (every fewer tourists) with fog and/or interesting clouds and surf. I had a couple of those days recently, and here are a few of the photographs.

Dan

http://gallery.gdanmitchell.com/gallery/var/albums/NaturalWorld/TheLandscape/California/CaliforniaCoast/PointLobos/Color/KelpAndPatternedRocks20220527.jpg
"Kelp and Patterned Rocks"

http://gallery.gdanmitchell.com/gallery/var/albums/NaturalWorld/TheLandscape/California/CaliforniaCoast/PointLobos/Color/RockPatternsWestonBeach20220527.jpg
"Patterns in Rock"

http://gallery.gdanmitchell.com/gallery/var/albums/NaturalWorld/TheLandscape/California/CaliforniaCoast/PointLobos/Color/MontereyCypressRockyPromontory20220624.jpg
"Trees and Promontory"

http://gallery.gdanmitchell.com/gallery/var/albums/NaturalWorld/TheLandscape/California/CaliforniaCoast/PointLobos/Color/CliffsideMonteryCypressTreesFog20220624.jpg
"Cliffside Trees, Fog"

http://gallery.gdanmitchell.com/gallery/var/albums/NaturalWorld/TheLandscape/California/CaliforniaCoast/PointLobos/Color/PeninsulaFogCormorantRookery20220624.jpg
"Rocky Peninsula, Fog"

http://gallery.gdanmitchell.com/gallery/var/albums/NaturalWorld/TheLandscape/California/CaliforniaCoast/PointLobos/Color/NorthShoreSnag20220624.jpg
"Monterey Cypress Snag"

http://gallery.gdanmitchell.com/gallery/var/albums/NaturalWorld/TheLandscape/California/CaliforniaCoast/PointLobos/Color/OldMontereyCypress20220624.jpg
"The Old Cypress"

Jun 26, 2022 at 01:39 PM
bobby350z
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Mornings at Point Lobos

Nice work as always.

Jun 26, 2022 at 03:22 PM
junglialoh
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Mornings at Point Lobos

Each has own characteristic image - quite memorable shot

Jun 26, 2022 at 03:37 PM
wlpelzmann
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Mornings at Point Lobos

Great set, Dan. I especially like the first Kelp/Sandstone image.

Jun 26, 2022 at 06:58 PM
dakel
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Mornings at Point Lobos

Great shots Dan. Particularly like the first one with it's beautiful contrast and shapes, and the last one almost abstract in nature despite the obvious subject.

Jun 26, 2022 at 07:47 PM
40Driggs
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Mornings at Point Lobos

The trees are really fascinating there! Love all these compositions

Jun 27, 2022 at 10:45 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Mornings at Point Lobos

40Driggs wrote:
The trees are really fascinating there! Love all these compositions

dakel wrote:
Great shots Dan. Particularly like the first one with it's beautiful contrast and shapes, and the last one almost abstract in nature despite the obvious subject.

wlpelzmann wrote:
Great set, Dan. I especially like the first Kelp/Sandstone image.

junglialoh wrote:
Each has own characteristic image - quite memorable shot

bobby350z wrote:
Nice work as always.

Thank you to all of you!

That first photograph is probably my favorite in the group and has struck a nerve with others, too. There's a little bit of a funny story about making it. I often wander around in what surely must look like an aimless manner when I photograph that spot, a place I've gone to for decades. There's always some interesting bits a pieces of stuff washed up by the surf, interesting rock patterns, and so forth. As I was photographing here this time, there were some park visitors watching and, I think, wondering. One finally asked, "What are you photographing?" It wasn't easy to explain!

The trees are fascinating! They are also often a challenge for me. I have a difficult time working with them in full daylight sun, which is why I was so happy to have the fog and the soft light on these visits.

Dan

Jun 27, 2022 at 11:52 PM
Starfire8
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Mornings at Point Lobos

A wonderful series under cool conditions. Very nice work, Dan. Like others, my favorite is the first one!

David

Jun 28, 2022 at 01:47 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Mornings at Point Lobos

Starfire8 wrote:
A wonderful series under cool conditions. Very nice work, Dan. Like others, my favorite is the first one!

David

Thanks David!

Jun 29, 2022 at 10:37 PM
gordon l
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Mornings at Point Lobos

Great set of images. I like them all and the variety makes it a photo essay on the location.

Jul 02, 2022 at 11:01 AM
psharvic
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Mornings at Point Lobos

Fine work on these, Dan. The 1st is special.

Jul 02, 2022 at 11:48 AM
kurt765
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Mornings at Point Lobos

Lovely images

Jul 02, 2022 at 09:02 PM
aFeinberg
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Mornings at Point Lobos

Love the intimates. That first one has killer detail and pop!

aF

Jul 02, 2022 at 10:54 PM
fotografur
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Mornings at Point Lobos

Great set Dan!

Jul 03, 2022 at 07:40 AM
philtax
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Mornings at Point Lobos

Great set! The tree shots are reminiscent of Weston.
Phil

Jul 03, 2022 at 11:30 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Mornings at Point Lobos

gordon l wrote:
Great set of images. I like them all and the variety makes it a photo essay on the location.

- - -

psharvic wrote:
Fine work on these, Dan. The 1st is special.

- - -

kurt765 wrote:
Lovely images

- - -

aFeinberg wrote:
Love the intimates. That first one has killer detail and pop!

aF

fotografur wrote:
Great set Dan!

- - -

philtax wrote:
Great set! The tree shots are reminiscent of Weston.
Phil

Thank you for each of your comments!

Edward Weston is never far from my thoughts when I photograph at Point Lobos. He photographed here, and one popular feature of the Reserve is named after him. (In fact, the first photograph in the set was made at that location, the so-called "Weston Beach.") Subsequent Westons still live at his home in the area and still carry on his photographic tradition.

Dan

Jul 04, 2022 at 09:07 AM
airfrogusmc
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Mornings at Point Lobos

The Weston gallery in Carmel is a must stop for any photography lover.

Jul 04, 2022 at 09:19 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Mornings at Point Lobos

airfrogusmc wrote:
The Weston gallery in Carmel is a must stop for any photography lover.

Indeed. It is worth dealing with the crowds and parking issues to visit if you haven't been there. There's always something beautiful and fascinating in that gallery.

There's another gallery on a side street (the name escapes me at the moment) which — at least when I last visited — had a bunch of classic work in a variety of genres along with work by some contemporary photographers.

Also, a few blocks south of downtown is the Center for Photographic Art, a place with a long photographic history in the area, where there is almost an exhibit worth your time. They also support a series of lectures that I've found pretty fascinating.

(There are also a few really schlocky galleries. You can skip those if you want. ;-) _

My family used to go there when I was a child, and I just wish Carmel wasn't such a tourist zoo these days!

Dan

Jul 04, 2022 at 09:30 AM
airfrogusmc
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Mornings at Point Lobos

Last time I was there in the mid 1990s I spent a late morning and early afternoon looking through portfolios of Adams, Weston both Edward, Bret and Cole and many others. While the Mrs shopped.

One of the most beautiful beaches anywhere from what i remember.

You have made some beautiful photographs from a magical place.

Jul 04, 2022 at 09:43 AM
philtax
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Mornings at Point Lobos

Tried to visit the Weston gallery in the spring but it was open by appointment only. Has that changed?
Phil

Jul 04, 2022 at 05:22 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.