Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Exhibit

Gregg B.
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Exhibit

Congratulations to Gregg B. for winning Feature Thread of the Week with 15 votes - View Previous Winners

In the last few months I've been trying to "collect" a few new shots for exhibit at the festival of arts in Laguna Beach this summer, and visited as many places as possible before it kicks off in July. So, this last weekend I decided to hit Wyoming and shoot Grand Teton and Yellowstone NPs. The airport in Jackson Hole is closed due to some construction (lot's of heavy trucks on the road there) and won't be open for several months. The closest place to fly to is Idaho Falls, but to me that's a two leg flight, way more expensive and with layover etc. So, I booked a simple/direct flight to Salt Lake City and drove to Jackson Hole instead. Man, the drive is actually spectacular. There's so much scenery on the way, I had no idea...
I must've seen a thousand of Aspen tree forests along the 4.5 hours drive. If you like shooting horses, there's plenty as well. Yes, it's a country type of landscape up there's so there are spots that to me look very photogenic, being a city man myself.
Anyway, I've got a few good shots, I think I'd like to share with you all. I need to print one (maybe two) large so if you were to choose one big prints, which one would it be?

May 25, 2022 at 09:44 AM
cseelye
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Exhibit

The first image (to me) seems the obvious choice for large printing. For a second choice, I see a toss up between the second and fourth images.

All are very nice.
-Chris

May 25, 2022 at 11:05 AM
junglialoh
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Exhibit

Wonderful image set - creative professional landscape photograph

May 25, 2022 at 11:31 AM
Edward Rotberg
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Exhibit

These are all really spectacular images. That said, in answer to your question, if you can only choose two, my picks would be the first and the 4th. The 5th is also a real eye catcher, however the mountain peaking through the trees is a bit too centered for my tastes, and while I love the composition on the 2nd & 3rd images, they are more subtle.

Just my two cents worth. I'll go delete all of my own Teton photos in despair now.

= Ed =

May 25, 2022 at 11:38 AM
Gregg B.
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Exhibit

Edward Rotberg wrote:
These are all really spectacular images. That said, in answer to your question, if you can only choose two, my picks would be the first and the 4th. The 5th is also a real eye catcher, however the mountain peaking through the trees is a bit too centered for my tastes, and while I love the composition on the 2nd & 3rd images, they are more subtle.

Just my two cents worth. I'll go delete all of my own Teton photos in despair now.

= Ed =

. Don't delete anything Ed. (I know you won't), but thanks for the sarcasm, I love it.
I also have the famous barn shot that looks good. I already decided to print it, so these are really an addition to the barn print.
Thanks for suggestions!

May 25, 2022 at 12:10 PM
Starfire8
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Exhibit

The first image hits it out of the park for me, Gregg! I like how you were able to get the whole mountain range into the scene.

David

May 25, 2022 at 01:22 PM
wlpelzmann
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Exhibit

The first two are exceptional. For the general public, the grand landscape is the obvious choice for sales. I am partial to the color palette and light in #2.

May 25, 2022 at 01:40 PM
hm2008
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Exhibit

very classical view, thank you for sharing.

May 25, 2022 at 04:56 PM
dallvr
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Exhibit

I'd go with the 4th, followed by the 1st. They're all great, but somehow the lonely cabin and the skies epitomize the story of the American West for me.

May 25, 2022 at 07:46 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Exhibit

All very fine images. I'd go with #1 for the first big print.

May 25, 2022 at 07:51 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

agvogel
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Exhibit

#1 is my favorite of the set overall, but for a large print to have in my house, I think the wide range of bright colors would overwhelm my (small) rooms. For that reason, I'd vote #2 and #4 to print big - slightly more minimalist as a balance.

May 25, 2022 at 10:02 PM
keepclicking
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Exhibit

Gregg, as usual this is your standard top notch work. First and second image would be my pick for printing. I really like how you framed #2 with just one green tree sticking out. YGMV 👍🏻

May 25, 2022 at 10:07 PM
graytrekker
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Exhibit

Gregg:

As others have mentioned, that first one is spectacular. Question: - is that a stitched pano? The mountains seem to "bend" more than I remember. If so, I would recommend taking some of that out. If not, then it's just me and never mind.

I am sucker for lone cabins in fields like that - not uncommon in my neck of the woods (Montana).

Finally, the last one - I am a mountain person and I find myself feeling there are just too many trees and not enough mountains. Have you considered pulling in on the mountains with a portrait crop? Again, just me.

All beautifully processed without feeling "pushed" - thanks so much for sharing!!

Doug

May 26, 2022 at 06:48 AM
Jim Dockery
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Exhibit

Wonderful set for such a short visit. The first is the obvious choice for most people, fantastic light and overall capture of the range. I really like the 2nd though for a more abstract view.

May 26, 2022 at 08:47 AM
Gregg B.
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Exhibit

graytrekker wrote:
Gregg:

As others have mentioned, that first one is spectacular. Question: - is that a stitched pano? The mountains seem to "bend" more than I remember. If so, I would recommend taking some of that out. If not, then it's just me and never mind.

I am sucker for lone cabins in fields like that - not uncommon in my neck of the woods (Montana).

Finally, the last one - I am a mountain person and I find myself feeling there are just too many trees and not enough mountains. Have you considered pulling in on the mountains with a portrait crop? Again,
...Show more

Yes Doug, it's a stitched pano I shot with my 24-70mm lens. I was thinking of cropping the image but I didn't like the cropped version. It's was missing the sky on the right side, and the mountain range looked "unfinished". I hated it. So I left it the way it is. I like it. I could probably warped the image on the right side a bit to make mountains more compressed but nah, it just look good the way it is to me. Yes, I'm sure there are some distortions due to stitching the image, maybe some compression going on as well, but that's something I have limited control over. I was happy to get what I've got being there only 4 days and 3 were a total crap weather-wise. Too many trees? C'mon man. I didn't plant them in I could crop the image but again, I love those trees in there. I live in a city, when I see trees like those at the base of the range I am a happy man They are too precious to me. I'm not cutting them out or in any other way getting rid of them. If I print this shot, I'm sure potential buyers will love those trees for the same reasons, we don't see many trees around here, just some palm trees close to the ocean.
To me, they really complement the mountain. But, I could stretched the mountains a little bit to make them taller/bigger. But, again, that would require some warping/stretching and most of the time I just hate such heavy image manipulation, unless a deep pocket buyer comes to me and says I'll pay you more if you make the mountains bigger .
OK, jukes aside... I think the shot came out great. My wife told me it's too busy, you telling me, too many trees or too much mountains to the right. OK, someone please show me a place where I can photograph it the way a painter imagined. Those guys can do whatever they want on a canvas (less busy or smoother sky, less trees, bigger mountain, maybe bigger river) but what we as photographers supposed to do? Unless you heavily modify image in Photoshop, what you get is what you get.
What's in Montana? Let me know if there are some nice huts I could shoot with mountains, big mountains too

May 26, 2022 at 10:38 AM
graytrekker
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Exhibit

Gregg B. wrote:
What's in Montana? Let me know if there are some nice huts I could shoot with mountains, big mountains too

Gregg

It wasn't my intent on being too critical - so please don't take it that way. As I said "it's just me". Everyone sees different things and that first photo is awesome.

Well, sure there are mountains in Montana - well, the western half!! Glacier NP? ( The eastern half is rolling grasslands, which has its own beauty). But you have to put up with crowds, like in the Tetons. There are other, less busy ranges, too. Autumns are awesome, and some here post photos of the Park. As for cabins, you have to just cruise the back roads - plenty out there, ghost towns, too. This cabin is about 15 miles from my house (I have posted this before):

JH late afternoon by Doug Stevens, on Flickr

Maybe we need to start a thread of old, abandoned houses/buildings/ranches around the west??

Cheers

Doug

May 26, 2022 at 11:07 AM
Gregg B.
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Exhibit

graytrekker wrote:
Gregg

It wasn't my intent on being too critical - so please don't take it that way. As I said "it's just me". Everyone sees different things and that first photo is awesome.

Well, sure there are mountains in Montana - well, the western half!! Glacier NP? ( The eastern half is rolling grasslands, which has its own beauty). But you have to put up with crowds, like in the Tetons. There are other, less busy ranges, too. Autumns are awesome, and some here post photos of the Park. As for cabins, you have to just cruise the back roads - plenty
...Show more

No Worries Doug. I wasn't really serious (hence the smily faces) although there is some true to what I said. I wasn't offended or anything. I do realize ppl have different ways of viewing images or different preferences etc. It's all good....
OK, now this is a nice shot Doug. I haven't seen it here. I do now. I'd love to photograph it some day, and maybe more while I'm there. I was in Montana once for a very short period of time shooting lake McDonalds. It was only one more photographer with me at the time, and he came from England too.
I may message you via PM to chat about this (and other) spots. Thx

May 26, 2022 at 11:28 AM
doady

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Exhibit

1st, 2nd, 3rd have most contrast with the opposing colours green vs. magenta, but 2nd and 3rd most stark with single tall tree vs. countless low shrubs and grasses.

So 2nd and 3rd are my favourites with lonely and almost abstract quality, but majestic vistas of 1st and 5th are the obvious choices to exhibit and appeal to the wider audience.

May 26, 2022 at 02:43 PM
1bwana1
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Exhibit

All great images Greg. I vote #1, and #2 for printing.

I look forward to seeing them at Laguna this Summer.

Steve

May 26, 2022 at 03:36 PM
stagates
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Exhibit

1 and 4 for me.

May 27, 2022 at 05:35 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register