fredmiranda.com
Login

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
  

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

1              end
  

Shimoda X50 or X70 as Tilopa replacement

  
 
GroovyGeek
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · Shimoda X50 or X70 as Tilopa replacement


I agree, the X70 is cavernous, you can haul a dead body in it.

With that said, in 2026 I would not pick either F-stop or Shimoda for a hiking oriented backpack, unless you insist on back panel access. My primary backpack for landscape photography these days is a Gregory Zulu 45, which carries weight much, much better than either F-stop or Shimoda. For overnight trips I use the Zulu 55, and for birding a Mammut Trion Spine (NOT the regular Trion). The Trion has a beautiful full-zip front panel access that makes it very easy to place/remove large lenses, which would be a total PITA with the puny openings of the F-stop and Tilopa.



Sep 24, 2026 at 09:26 AM
Todd Warnke
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · Shimoda X50 or X70 as Tilopa replacement


I've got Nya, F-Stop and Shimoda photo bags, as well as Gregory and Osprey packs that have been re-purposed for photo uses.

My all-round favorite is the Shimoda X40. It gives up an inch in height to the X50, which means I'm not concerned about carry-on limits, and packs almost as much. It wears better than the Nya (for me) and has more useful pockets and features than F-Stop. When put up against non-photo packs it's almost as comfortable for long day outings, but isn't the best for overnighters, which where the Gregory/Osprey packs shine. That said, for ease of use when working out of, the Shimoda/Nya/F-Stop bags are easily better than the hiking bags.

So, pack choice depends on outing. Since most of my trips are long day hikes or sunrise/sunset trips the Shimoda is my usual bag of choice. I've set my Nya up for long-lens use, and so it's my birding bag, and the F-Stop comes out when going on a hut-to-hut outing. In those situations, photography is the main/only purpose and those bags work best. If I'm truly hiking for several days, then the Osprey is the first choice.



Sep 25, 2026 at 06:29 PM
Mike Ganz
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · Shimoda X50 or X70 as Tilopa replacement


Deleted

Edited on Sep 26, 2026 at 07:30 AM · View previous versions



Sep 26, 2026 at 06:16 AM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

Mike Ganz
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #4 · Shimoda X50 or X70 as Tilopa replacement


GroovyGeek wrote:
I agree, the X70 is cavernous, you can haul a dead body in it.

With that said, in 2026 I would not pick either F-stop or Shimoda for a hiking oriented backpack, unless you insist on back panel access. My primary backpack for landscape photography these days is a Gregory Zulu 45, which carries weight much, much better than either F-stop or Shimoda. For overnight trips I use the Zulu 55, and for birding a Mammut Trion Spine (NOT the regular Trion). The Trion has a beautiful full-zip front panel access that makes it very easy to place/remove large lenses, which
...Show more →

I'm curious as to how you pack your photo gear in the Zulu 45. Do you use any sort of padded ICU?




Sep 26, 2026 at 07:30 AM
GroovyGeek
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #5 · Shimoda X50 or X70 as Tilopa replacement


Shimoda mid dSLR insert.


Sep 26, 2026 at 01:17 PM
Mike Ganz
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #6 · Shimoda X50 or X70 as Tilopa replacement


GroovyGeek wrote:
Shimoda mid dSLR insert.


Thanks. I still have a Loka medium insert which is pretty much the same dimensions as the Shimoda insert. I guess a trip to my local REI with insert in hand will be coming up. Thanks again.



Sep 26, 2026 at 02:29 PM
1              end






FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

1              end
    
 

Welcome back
Log in to your account