• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · A helping hand

Apr 25, 2022 at 02:12 AM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · A helping hand

Now this is very unique and I find the series very well done!
Might you describe how you did this?
Very surreal! Lost in a dream....

Dan

Apr 27, 2022 at 08:51 AM
M_J_Helin
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · A helping hand

Danpbphoto wrote:
Now this is very unique and I find the series very well done!
Might you describe how you did this?
Very surreal! Lost in a dream....

Dan

Thanks.

This set was from a gymnastics competition. There was a large curtain, that separated the performers from the athletics waiting for their turn. Their silhouettes were casted to that curtain from time to time.
Apparently there was one girl, who had gotten her foot injured and couldn't participate. Nevertheless, she came to look and cheer her team mates and other performers.

Somehow it was very touching to look at those girls talking behind the curtain. Mellow.

These were shot with 600mm focal length, from the other side of the stage.

Apr 27, 2022 at 02:44 PM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · A helping hand

M_J_Helin wrote:
Thanks.

This set was from a gymnastics competition. There was a large curtain, that separated the performers from the athletics waiting for their turn. Their silhouettes were casted to that curtain from time to time.
Apparently there was one girl, who had gotten her foot injured and couldn't participate. Nevertheless, she came to look and cheer her team mates and other performers.

Somehow it was very touching to look at those girls talking behind the curtain. Mellow.

These were shot with 600mm focal length, from the other side of the stage.

With your explanation, you have created a most excellent series of compositions here! Extremely great visualization displayed here! Both pre shutter and post You have definitely gone "outta da box" here in an impressive manor.
I could explain all the wonderful photographic techniques I envision here but will refrain from boring members.
Let me say BRAVO!
Dan

Apr 27, 2022 at 03:36 PM
M_J_Helin
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · A helping hand

Danpbphoto wrote:
With your explanation, you have created a most excellent series of compositions here! Extremely great visualization displayed here! Both pre shutter and post You have definitely gone "outta da box" here in an impressive manor.
I could explain all the wonderful photographic techniques I envision here but will refrain from boring members.
Let me say BRAVO!
Dan

Thanks!

Please do tell more, I for sure would love to read.

Apr 28, 2022 at 01:08 AM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · A helping hand

M_J_Helin wrote:
Thanks!

Please do tell more, I for sure would love to read.

Very well. These are opinions formulated from classic schooling, reading and my own opinions.
The classic building blocks of composition are shape, design, and form. So I have been instructed and read.
Also included in the building blocks is what is called a "hard edge". That is the edge between the white on black or black on white. This is a "best case scenario" type statement. While I do not find that the exact case here, your vision of the shadowed figures against the material curtain presents very unique shadows. One could darken the figures to accent this more but I find it most pleasing here.

You used positioning, framing and focus, along with exposure, to present a few visual highlights. The curtain presents a nice contrast to the subjects and exactly what they are doing in the frame.

You have a nice relationship between the image and the frame. You have nice simplistic patterns and symmetry. You have a nice use of lines and shapes that are really enhanced by said curtain IMHO.

The movement of the eye through the photo gives you an "entry point", the curtain, and an exit point, the figures.
The fewer compositional elements within a bw image the better.
The viewer "looks" through the curtain( a frame) into another frame, the subjects. A simple line can be a most expressive thing. You have caught that well here.

The movement within the composition is exaggerated by the stationary figures. That is a good thing in B&W.

Shape and form are working well here!

I could go on but this is enough because my thought process is getting "busy" at 75.

It appears that you have a good solid foundation that can be built upon "to personal taste".

Feel free to ask anymore questions and I hope other members will offer their input!
Good luck!
Again a VERY fine series IMHO!!
Dan

Apr 28, 2022 at 11:11 AM
M_J_Helin
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · A helping hand

Thank you for that analysis

Apr 28, 2022 at 02:51 PM
neighbourboy
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · A helping hand

Wow, this is a fantastic set. I think you could go with just the last one, if you had to choose a single image to try and tell the whole story.

--David

Apr 29, 2022 at 05:38 AM
M_J_Helin
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · A helping hand

neighbourboy wrote:
Wow, this is a fantastic set. I think you could go with just the last one, if you had to choose a single image to try and tell the whole story.

--David

Thanks

Apr 30, 2022 at 02:56 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.