Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2022 · The Magic of Chiricahua

Ross Martin
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · The Magic of Chiricahua

Congratulations to Ross Martin for winning Feature Thread of the Week with 14 votes - View Previous Winners

This year I returned to a location that is utterly magical for me - the Chiricahua Mountains in Arizona. I started exploring and working this area a few years ago and it’s become a yearly pilgrimage, as the mystery and intrigue of these ancient rocks keep calling me back. I’ve been blessed with some good light here, rising full moons, crazy last-minute sunset, and a light dusting of snow. I hope you enjoy this set, and thanks for checking it out!

Cheers,
Ross

Edited on Mar 09, 2022 at 01:30 PM · View previous versions

Mar 09, 2022 at 11:41 AM
The Rat
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · The Magic of Chiricahua

Wonderful pictures! One of my favorite places to visit. The last one is my favorite of the bunch.

Mar 09, 2022 at 11:48 AM
Ross Martin
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · The Magic of Chiricahua

The Rat wrote:
Wonderful pictures! One of my favorite places to visit. The last one is my favorite of the bunch.

Thank you so much! I love knowing you have been and like it also!

Cheers,
Ross

Mar 09, 2022 at 12:06 PM
Rajan Parrikar
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · The Magic of Chiricahua

Simply outstanding. Every image has something special to recommend it.

Nit: the chromatic aberration around the moon could be de-fringed. Easiest way is to put a Gaussian blur (3 pixels should do) on a separate layer and set the blending layer mode to Colour.

Mar 09, 2022 at 12:10 PM
Ross Martin
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · The Magic of Chiricahua

Rajan Parrikar wrote:
Simply outstanding. Every image has something special to recommend it.

Nit: the chromatic aberration around the moon could be de-fringed. Easiest way is to put a Gaussian blur (3 pixels should do) on a separate layer and set the blending layer mode to Colour.

Thanks for that tip Rajan, I’ll try that in Photoshop. There was haze in front of the moon which has added a glow, besides the possible CA.

Mar 09, 2022 at 01:31 PM
stanparker
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · The Magic of Chiricahua

Very nice series, Ross. I live relatively close (but on the other side of some mountains), but don't visit that often.

Mar 10, 2022 at 05:56 AM
zuru
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · The Magic of Chiricahua

I really enjoyed this set, it's a nice portfolio. This place is in my bucket list, but it's a drive from NM, so I always get "stuck" somewhere along the way in my state .

Mar 10, 2022 at 08:58 AM
keepclicking
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · The Magic of Chiricahua

Ross, like the way you have composed your images. Certainly not an easy location to photograph. Your images convey the message of rugged and isolated landscape. The light and timing of your images is beautiful. Enjoyed the set. Thanks for sharing.

Mar 10, 2022 at 10:52 AM
BlueRidge
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · The Magic of Chiricahua

Beautiful set!! Nice composition and colors. I love the Chiricahua Mountains. Incredibly difficult terrain.

You brought back some nice memories as I was stationed at Ft. Huachuca as a young man. Hiking on weekends was always fun.

Mar 10, 2022 at 11:37 AM
The Rat
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · The Magic of Chiricahua

Ross Martin wrote:
Thank you so much! I love knowing you have been and like it also!

Cheers,
Ross

I've been three times and loved it each time. I don't get there as often as I'd like since it's a very long drive for me.

Side note, I'm never drinking the water there again. (From the fill station at the ranger station, I mean.) I'm pretty sure that's what resulted in the problems I commented on in your Lake Watson thread!

Mar 10, 2022 at 12:09 PM
Ross Martin
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · The Magic of Chiricahua

stanparker wrote:
Very nice series, Ross. I live relatively close (but on the other side of some mountains), but don't visit that often.

Thank you Stan! That’s cool you live in that region. Are you also close to White Sands? I usually hit those dunes on the same trips as Chiricahua. I am a huge fan of Blake’s Lottaburger green chile cheeseburger with extra chile!

Cheers,
Ross

Mar 10, 2022 at 02:37 PM
gordon l
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · The Magic of Chiricahua

Hey Ross, these are really sweet photos. This is an area I'm not familiar with but these photos sure make me drool with desire. They are amazing and so varied. Love #1, 4, and several others. Too many actually.

Mar 10, 2022 at 03:10 PM
Ross Martin
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · The Magic of Chiricahua

zuru wrote:
I really enjoyed this set, it's a nice portfolio. This place is in my bucket list, but it's a drive from NM, so I always get "stuck" somewhere along the way in my state .

Thanks for enjoying, @zuru! It’s a good place to have on your list, and I can understand how you get distracted by the beauty in your own state, NM is wonderful!

Cheers,
Ross

Mar 10, 2022 at 03:48 PM
kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · The Magic of Chiricahua

beauties Ross .. especially the last one

Mar 10, 2022 at 07:45 PM
Ross Martin
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · The Magic of Chiricahua

keepclicking wrote:
Ross, like the way you have composed your images. Certainly not an easy location to photograph. Your images convey the message of rugged and isolated landscape. The light and timing of your images is beautiful. Enjoyed the set. Thanks for sharing.

@keepclicking Thank you so much, I always appreciate your thoughtful comments!

Best,
Ross

Mar 10, 2022 at 09:43 PM
J. Pow
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · The Magic of Chiricahua

I have been there before but your photos and composition make it 100 times more amazing than I remember it. Great composition and execution! Fantastic set!

Joel

Mar 11, 2022 at 08:51 AM
Ross Martin
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · The Magic of Chiricahua

BlueRidge wrote:
Beautiful set!! Nice composition and colors. I love the Chiricahua Mountains. Incredibly difficult terrain.

You brought back some nice memories as I was stationed at Ft. Huachuca as a young man. Hiking on weekends was always fun.

@BlueRidge I appreciate your positive comments! So cool this brought back memories when you were stationed close by!

Cheers,
Ross

Mar 11, 2022 at 11:34 AM
azbill
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · The Magic of Chiricahua

Beautiful series, such a majestic range. Have you been there during monsoon season?
Thanks for sharing!

Mar 11, 2022 at 09:46 PM
Ross Martin
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · The Magic of Chiricahua

gordon l wrote:
Hey Ross, these are really sweet photos. This is an area I'm not familiar with but these photos sure make me drool with desire. They are amazing and so varied. Love #1, 4, and several others. Too many actually.

@gordon l Thank you so much Gordon!

Cheers,
Ross

Mar 11, 2022 at 11:43 PM
Ross Martin
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · The Magic of Chiricahua

kmunroe wrote:
beauties Ross .. especially the last one

Thank you very much @kmunroe!

Mar 12, 2022 at 02:12 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.