Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2022 · I got a nosebleed while shooting this...

DanielJStein
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · I got a nosebleed while shooting this...

This shot was taken on mile 10 into my several night backpacking turbo sesh. I scrambled up a little rockface to get this vantage point, and sat there from sunset to sunrise shooting. This location requires a permit to be able to camp. Be sure to Leave No Trace if you plan to hike!

So uh yeah, I got a nosebleed while shooting this image. Since I was kinda smushed up against a few rocks it kinda well, sucked. But nonetheless it gave me the perfect vantage point directly up.

This shot consists of 40 images combined with my Nikon Z6, Z 14-24 2.8 S lens, and iOptron Skyguider Pro star tracker. 5 Images were taken tracked of the sky @ 120 seconds, f/4, ISO 1600. Next, I turned off the tracker and in the same spot let the camera shoot 34 images @ 10 seconds, f/2.8, ISO 51200 to stack for the reflection. Finally, one was taken at blue hour in the exact spot and camera position @ 0.6 seconds, f/7.1, ISO 100 for the foreground.

Jan 31, 2022 at 11:31 AM
kalifornier
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · I got a nosebleed while shooting this...

Simply stunning image! All that effort was definitely worth it.

Jan 31, 2022 at 04:01 PM
graytrekker
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · I got a nosebleed while shooting this...

Beautiful - worth the nose bleed!!

Jan 31, 2022 at 08:48 PM
J. Pow
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · I got a nosebleed while shooting this...

Stunning!

Joel

Jan 31, 2022 at 10:40 PM
zuru
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · I got a nosebleed while shooting this...

Stunning work. I also shoot MW, but I admire your persistence and dedication. Were you alone?

Jan 31, 2022 at 10:44 PM
DistantPlaces

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · I got a nosebleed while shooting this...

Absolutley stunning shot! Composition is great and love that you went the extra mile to also include the reflections, which are always a challenge in MW images.
When was this taken?

Feb 01, 2022 at 12:13 AM
Paul.K
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · I got a nosebleed while shooting this...

That's a lot of commitment and weight for a backpacking trip. Did you backpack solo or with friends? Do you sleep during the day to compensate? Did you take other pictures (you mentioned staying up all night but it doesn't sound like the sum of the exposure times was hours)?

Stunning result!

Feb 01, 2022 at 12:35 AM
DanielJStein
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · I got a nosebleed while shooting this...

kalifornier wrote:
Simply stunning image! All that effort was definitely worth it.

Thanks my friendo!
---------------------------------------------

graytrekker wrote:
Beautiful - worth the nose bleed!!

Haha thank you, that was rough in the moment for sure.

J. Pow wrote:
Stunning!

Joel

Thanks Joel!

zuru wrote:
Stunning work. I also shoot MW, but I admire your persistence and dedication. Were you alone?

Thanks doggo! Yes, I was alone. Just me, the stars, and my little cameras.

DistantPlaces wrote:
Absolutley stunning shot! Composition is great and love that you went the extra mile to also include the reflections, which are always a challenge in MW images.
When was this taken?

Thanks friend! I love reflections, and there are times when I totally forget to shoot a stack for it. The nosebleed has me thinking. This was taken back in July.

Feb 01, 2022 at 08:55 AM
DanielJStein
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · I got a nosebleed while shooting this...

Paul.K wrote:
That's a lot of commitment and weight for a backpacking trip. Did you backpack solo or with friends? Do you sleep during the day to compensate? Did you take other pictures (you mentioned staying up all night but it doesn't sound like the sum of the exposure times was hours)?

Stunning result!

Many thanks Paul, I appreciate it! I did this journey solo. I got some sleep during the day but not much. I went ham with 5 nights straight of hiking like crazy and staying out most of the night for astro goodness. For this night, it was not my only shot. I had 3 other lenses I was using to shoot in addition to a tracked pano at 35mm. I also had my other body just on a tripod without the tracker shooting timelapses.

I went up, shot sunset, did astro, then came down after sunrise. I slept a litttleeee in my tent after i came down, but it got too hot so I decided to just pack up and hike to my next spot and sleep a little there. It was a good thing I got an early start anyway. While napping in my tent at the next spot a bigggg hail storm came through!!!

Here is a pic with my cams chilling on top of where I was the night I took this shot. I had not mounted the tracker yet as I was just shooting sunset.

Feb 01, 2022 at 09:09 AM
keepclicking
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · I got a nosebleed while shooting this...

Daniel, admire your dedication to hike such remote locations with all the equipment. Amazing! Love the way you composed the image and the reflection of sky really completes the image. Nice work. UGMV

Feb 01, 2022 at 10:43 AM
The Rat
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · I got a nosebleed while shooting this...

That's an amazing shot! Well worth the effort.

Feb 01, 2022 at 11:09 AM
Starfire8
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · I got a nosebleed while shooting this...

Congratulations on creating such and amazing image, Daniel! Your technical skills are incredible. And your determination and vision are commendable, too! Much respect is sent your way!

Best regards, David

Feb 01, 2022 at 11:45 AM
Ross Martin
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · I got a nosebleed while shooting this...

Daniel that is a lot of work you went through to create this compelling image. Well done!

Feb 01, 2022 at 04:08 PM
lgatlin
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · I got a nosebleed while shooting this...

Very nice!

Feb 01, 2022 at 06:53 PM
DanielJStein
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · I got a nosebleed while shooting this...

keepclicking wrote:
Daniel, admire your dedication to hike such remote locations with all the equipment. Amazing! Love the way you composed the image and the reflection of sky really completes the image. Nice work. UGMV

Thanks so much my friend, I really appreciate how much you understand what it takes to get to spots like this. Mega thanks for the kind words!

The Rat wrote:
That's an amazing shot! Well worth the effort.

Thanks Dr. Rat, I am glad you like it!

Starfire8 wrote:
Congratulations on creating such and amazing image, Daniel! Your technical skills are incredible. And your determination and vision are commendable, too! Much respect is sent your way!

Best regards, David

Wow thanks David, you are too kind. I am so happy you like the shot and understand the behind the scenes too!

Ross Martin wrote:
Daniel that is a lot of work you went through to create this compelling image. Well done!

Ayyy thanks Ross, so nice to see you here, thank you!

lgatlin wrote:
Very nice!

Many thanks!

Feb 02, 2022 at 07:57 AM
bobsguns

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · I got a nosebleed while shooting this...

May I ask how much post processing work you put into it?

Stunning pic!

Feb 02, 2022 at 10:07 AM
dakel
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · I got a nosebleed while shooting this...

Wow that beautiful image is an outstanding result for hours and hours of hard work. Well done.

Feb 02, 2022 at 06:49 PM
Jeff
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · I got a nosebleed while shooting this...

bobsguns wrote:
May I ask how much post processing work you put into it?

Stunning pic!

Also, is this an astro-modified sensor?

Feb 02, 2022 at 08:33 PM
Mark Metternich
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · I got a nosebleed while shooting this...

Phenomenal image, technical skills and efforts here paid off! Beautiful image!!!
After saying that, I would hate to suggest anything, but if online presence is important, I do think the sky could easily be a tad sharper.

Feb 03, 2022 at 09:15 AM
gunmetal
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · I got a nosebleed while shooting this...

Daniel, thanks for sharing and especially the detailed description of capture and processing. As a guy who dabbles in Astro, I very much appreciate the difficulty and effort an image like this takes.

Feb 03, 2022 at 01:29 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.