New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2021 · Which Tamron Next Speculation

AdaptedLenses
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Which Tamron Next Speculation

Quiet Sunday evening so how about some pointless speculation. If the 28-75 sells well (and I’m betting it’ll be popular) what Tamron FE might we see next? For my money I’d bet on the 70-300, which is frankly a pretty good lens and would complement the system well.

Dec 18, 2021 at 07:56 PM
atnpro
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Which Tamron Next Speculation

70-200/4Z

Dec 18, 2021 at 08:05 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Which Tamron Next Speculation

Maybe this post should be in the S*ny forum or do you mean that there should be a Tamron Z lens? It's been too many decades since I had any interest in using Tamron on Nikon. I'd take a Nikkor 24-70 any day over Tamron.

EBH

Dec 18, 2021 at 08:08 PM
cvrle59
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Which Tamron Next Speculation

AdaptedLenses wrote:
Quiet Sunday evening so how about some pointless speculation. If the 28-75 sells well (and I’m betting it’ll be popular) what Tamron FE might we see next? For my money I’d bet on the 70-300, which is frankly a pretty good lens and would complement the system well.

Didn't you mean Saturday evening...

Dec 18, 2021 at 08:21 PM
1bwana1
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Which Tamron Next Speculation

Well since the OP called for speculation I will add this.

I spent a couple of hours yesterday with my local Tamron Sales Rep. We talked a bit about the new Tamron/Nikon Z 28-75mm f/2.8.

Since the general understanding is that Nikon doesn't have an open mount how this new lens is being built. He said it will be built by Tamron 100% as always. I asked him about reverse engineering the Z Mount. His response was that there is no need for Tamron to reverse engineer the Z mount since they have been making lenses OEM for it for a long time. He said that the closed mount is really a contractual thing not a technical thing. Since Nikon is a large and valued OEM partner for Tamron that they don't build anything third party without permission.

I asked which existing Z lenses were Tamron. Of course he is unable to say. But he said to look at the polycarbonate bodied lenses, most likely wide FL range Zooms as these are Tamron's specialty and where they have big tech advantages. Basically he said if the materials look like Tamron, and feel like Tamron, then there is a high likelihood that they are.

So, according to him we don't just need to speculate on what Tamron might build OEM in the future, but also what is already out there, or soon to be released.

One thing I did asked was that if Tamron already the technology to build Z lenses why did it take so long to make the Tamron F mount lenses work with the FTZ adapter, and why so many were never upgraded at all. Non of my Tamron gen 1 lenses were ever upgraded to work with the FTZ. He just said that was different issues, and contractually complicated. Not sure I buy that whole story.

I will emphasize once again, that these are not my statements or opinions. But, they are an accurate reporting on my conversation with the rep.

Speculate away on what is coming, and more interestingly what may already be out there.

Dec 18, 2021 at 08:34 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Which Tamron Next Speculation

So far as I can tell, all the other Z-mount zooms, including the three APSC zooms, come from Thailand, where Tamron doesn't have a manufacturing plant. The Z 28-75/2.8 comes from China, where Tamron does have a plant. Amazon may be wrong about the country of origin on the other lenses or there may be a more complex manufacturing relationship at play, or it could be your rep is talking out of his backside, secure that you'll never know the difference.

Dec 19, 2021 at 05:46 AM
gdsf2
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Which Tamron Next Speculation

1bwana1 wrote:

I spent a couple of hours yesterday with my local Tamron Sales Rep. We talked a bit about the new Tamron/Nikon Z 28-75mm f/2.8.

Since the general understanding is that Nikon doesn't have an open mount how this new lens is being built. He said it will be built by Tamron 100% as always. I asked him about reverse engineering the Z Mount. His response was that there is no need for Tamron to reverse engineer the Z mount since they have been making lenses OEM for it for a long
...Show more

Do you own/work in a camera store?

Dec 19, 2021 at 10:07 AM
1bwana1
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Which Tamron Next Speculation

gdsf2 wrote:
Do you own/work in a camera store?

God save me. No way would I own a small retail business like a camera store. I tried that early in my career. Never again. Way to hard to have it reliably help run.

I haven't had a job as an employee since I was 24 either. I am a principle in all the businesses I am involved in.

It was the Tamron Rep's demo day at my local store. I just went to try the new 35-150mm e-mount lens. I have bought a good number of Tamron lenses from this rep over the years, but not even a special relationship with him, so not likely that I am getting any unique information.

Dec 19, 2021 at 11:10 AM
gdsf2
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Which Tamron Next Speculation

1bwana1 wrote:
God save me. No way would I own a small retail business like a camera store. I tried that early in my career. Never again. Way to hard to have it reliably help run.

I haven't had a job as an employee since I was 24 either. I am a principle in all the businesses I am involved in.

It was the Tamron Rep's demo day at my local store. I just went to try the new 35-150mm e-mount lens. I have bought a good number of Tamron lenses from this rep over the years, but not even a special relationship with
...Show more

I was just amazed you spent a couple hours talking to a rep. I figured you must work in the store. I don’t think I have ever spent a couple hours in any store in the past 10 years. I hate shopping.

Dec 19, 2021 at 11:29 AM
1bwana1
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Which Tamron Next Speculation

gdsf2 wrote:
I was just amazed you spent a couple hours talking to a rep. I figured you must work in the store. I don’t think I have ever spent a couple hours in any store in the past 10 years. I hate shopping.

I am not a big shopper either. But talking with industry insiders can be very educational and interesting.

Dec 19, 2021 at 01:30 PM
gdsf2
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Which Tamron Next Speculation

1bwana1 wrote:
I am not a big shopper either. But talking with industry insiders can be very educational and interesting.

I can see that if your into industry news or a gear head. I am more focused on using my gear to get the images I want. That takes up all my available time. Thanks for sharing the info.

Dec 19, 2021 at 01:39 PM
1bwana1
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Which Tamron Next Speculation

gdsf2 wrote:
I can see that if your into industry news or a gear head. I am more focused on using my gear to get the images I want. That takes up all my available time. Thanks for sharing the info.

Yes, I am interested in the industry at large, the finances, the gear, and making images. All of it. I think my presence here on FM is mostly representative of that. A good mix of industry posts, gear posts, along with uploads and discussions in the various image forums. Unfortunately, the Covid-19 crisis has had an affect on where and how often I can travel to make images in the last couple of years.

I am not doubting your statement. But as far as FM goes, your presence seems to be almost entirely about gear. Very few actual uploads of images, lots of buy and sell, and primarily posts in the gear forums.

Is there somewhere else you share your images. Many here would probably enjoy seeing them.

Dec 19, 2021 at 01:59 PM
AdaptedLenses
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Which Tamron Next Speculation

They don’t have a 70-200/4 though? They have the F mount 70-210 but that won’t be small…

atnpro wrote:
70-200/4Z

Dec 19, 2021 at 02:09 PM
AdaptedLenses
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Which Tamron Next Speculation

Talking about the ported Nikon 28-75 which is 99.9% a Tamron FE lens. I’m thinking we may see more of these… and they’re good lenses.

EB-1 wrote:
Maybe this post should be in the S*ny forum or do you mean that there should be a Tamron Z lens? It's been too many decades since I had any interest in using Tamron on Nikon. I'd take a Nikkor 24-70 any day over Tamron.

EBH

Dec 19, 2021 at 02:22 PM
gdsf2
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Which Tamron Next Speculation

1bwana1 wrote:
Yes, I am interested in the industry at large, the finances, the gear, and making images. All of it. I think my presence here on FM is mostly representative of that. A good mix of industry posts, gear posts, along with uploads and discussions in the various image forums. Unfortunately, the Covid-19 crisis has had an affect on where and how often I can travel to make images in the last couple of years.

I am not doubting your statement. But as far as FM goes, your presence seems to be almost entirely about gear. Very few actual uploads of images,
...Show more

I shoot commercial images for work and nature for fun. Can’t share the commercial stuff. Nature images I share with family and friends and occasionally prints in local exhibits. I post here sometimes, but not often. Maybe I will do more of that in the future if time/interest allows. I usually come back to FM when I have something to learn or share or something to buy and sell, and stick around for a while. Then I go about life until the next time. Internet forums are helpful to me, but not how I spend much time. Note I have been around for almost 19 years and only have 2,255 posts.

Thanks for checking out my profile. It is nice to get that much interest.

Dec 19, 2021 at 02:31 PM
AdaptedLenses
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Which Tamron Next Speculation

Interesting insight, thanks. Personally I don’t really care who makes it, obviously it’s been a mix for some time. My point of speculation was more that with the 28-75 being an existing lens, which others might Tamron & Nikon collaborate on. Zoom wise, I’d make the case they have some of the better mirrorless lenses from an all around standpoint. If you’re chasing absolute optical perfection, admittedly the large OEMs are “better” but frequently they’re larger and heavier then I care to use. Tamron has typically combined good optics, attractive apertures and compact sizes.

1bwana1 wrote:

Since the general understanding is that Nikon doesn't have an open mount how this new lens is being built. He said it will be built by Tamron 100% as always. I asked him about reverse engineering the Z Mount. His response was that there is no need for Tamron to reverse engineer the Z mount since they have been making lenses OEM for it for a long
...Show more

Dec 19, 2021 at 04:04 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.