Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · #210 moonscape

Textures of the moon

Oct 16, 2021 at 05:53 PM
JHut
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · #210 moonscape

Awesome shot Cathy! What lens did you use? I am looking to get a telephoto lens. Well done!

Oct 19, 2021 at 08:37 AM
Cathy Adams
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · #210 moonscape

Thank you!!!

For this shot I used my sony a6000 and had it attached to my telescope. I would suggest something in the 400-600m range tho for closeups of the moon. That length would give good detail for you!

Cathy

JHut wrote:
Awesome shot Cathy! What lens did you use? I am looking to get a telephoto lens. Well done!

Oct 19, 2021 at 10:59 AM
JHut
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · #210 moonscape

Ah... Got it. I will give it a shot on my telescope. I have a Televue 85 which is 600mm Apochromatic f7.0 I just need to pickup an adaptor to mount my Nikon camera. Looking at the 500 pf lens for something that can be hand held. Thanks.

Oct 19, 2021 at 03:37 PM
JHut
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · #210 moonscape

Cathy... As a follow up. Did you use a tracker with your telescope? I wonder if I should even attempt a shot without one. My telescope is large and mounted on a Gibralter tripod. I'm thinking that the earth movement and adjusting the focus would be pretty difficult to achieve a decent result.

Oct 19, 2021 at 03:46 PM
Cathy Adams
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · #210 moonscape

Hi!

Nope, no tracker, it was a single shot of 1/100 sec ... trackers are really only needed when you go over maybe 20 seconds. I never have to when shooting the moon You should definitely attempt it!!!!!

Note tho that full moons are so bright that alot of detail gets blown out, so an nd filter is a good idea, and I underexpose a wee bit then.

Cathy

JHut wrote:
Cathy... As a follow up. Did you use a tracker with your telescope? I wonder if I should even attempt a shot without one. My telescope is large and mounted on a Gibralter tripod. I'm thinking that the earth movement and adjusting the focus would be pretty difficult to achieve a decent result.

Oct 19, 2021 at 06:36 PM
James Markus
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · #210 moonscape

You would think shooting the moon (pun intended) would be easy, but it is not. The moon is moving, the earth is moving, there is atmospheric thing-a-ma-bobs, lens shake amplified by magnification, a stable mount, and of course lens quality, and image quality. But, you did a great job of it! Congrats!

Oct 19, 2021 at 07:53 PM
Cathy Adams
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · #210 moonscape

Thanks James!!

It's one of my favourite things to shoot.. especially at this phase.. and the cooler weather makes the images so much cleaner!! now if we could just have more clear nights!!!!

Cathy

James Markus wrote:
You would think shooting the moon (pun intended) would be easy, but it is not. The moon is moving, the earth is moving, there is atmospheric thing-a-ma-bobs, lens shake amplified by magnification, a stable mount, and of course lens quality, and image quality. But, you did a great job of it! Congrats!

Oct 19, 2021 at 07:58 PM
R_o_l_o
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · #210 moonscape

Astrophotography and planetary imaging is near and dear to my heart. As a matter of fact I have Gibraltar mount with a Brass TeleVue 102 on it. By your suggestion of 500-600mm I dare say you may have a Genesis.

i was out the other night shooting the moon with the D70s with a Cheap Orion 100mm f/6 achromat. the D70s has plenty of noise at ISO 1600 So i took 8 images and combined them for a much lower noise ration.

Oct 19, 2021 at 08:45 PM
Cathy Adams
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · #210 moonscape

Near and dear to me as well!!!!! What are you stacking your images with? This is a single shot, but I have been usin sharp capture with my Celestron 6se and a planetary camera, ZWO 224. Loving it!!!!

This Jupiter shot was an AVI captured in SharpCap, stacked in AutoStakkert, wavelets adjusted in Registax and touch ups in PS6

Cathy

R_o_l_o wrote:
Astrophotography and planetary imaging is near and dear to my heart. As a matter of fact I have Gibraltar mount with a Brass TeleVue 102 on it. By your suggestion of 500-600mm I dare say you may have a Genesis.

i was out the other night shooting the moon with the D70s with a Cheap Orion 100mm f/6 achromat. the D70s has plenty of noise at ISO 1600 So i took 8 images and combined them for a much lower noise ration.

Oct 20, 2021 at 09:53 AM
R_o_l_o
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · #210 moonscape

Well, you have all the software covered. Personally I use AstroStakkert for stacking and process in Registax and Photoshop.
I haven't done any planetary imaging in years due to Dialysis for 8 years and currently still recovering from a kidney transplant.

Here's an image of Jupiter & Io back from 2010.

BTW for a single image & a C6 that's quite good. Imagine stacking a few hundred or thousands!

jupiter

Oct 20, 2021 at 10:15 AM
Cathy Adams
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · #210 moonscape

LOVE THIS!!!!! I have only been imaging since this spring..tons to learn and lots of fun!!

Cathy

R_o_l_o wrote:
Well, you have all the software covered. Personally I use AstroStakkert for stacking and process in Registax and Photoshop.
I haven't done any planetary imaging in years due to Dialysis for 8 years and currently still recovering from a kidney transplant.

Here's an image of Jupiter & Io back from 2010.

BTW for a single image & a C6 that's quite good. Imagine stacking a few hundred or thousands!

Oct 20, 2021 at 10:35 AM

FM Forums | Monthly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.