New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2021 · Focus magnifier issue with Loxia on A1

cat_june

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Focus magnifier issue with Loxia on A1

Hi FM crowd.

I am new to the forum and new to Sony. Recently bought the Alpha 1 with a few lenses to start build my system, and become a fan of Loxia lenses. However, I've seen similar issues with 3 Loxia, two 35mm and one 21mm. Want to post it here to see if anyone else has experienced the same.

For all three lenses on Alpha1, when set the aperture ring to certain stops faster than F4 and slower than the wide open, the focus magnifier just won't stay, no matter activated through turning the focus ring or a function button manually. The magnifier would just comes up for a brief moment and than disappears. Just imagine having 21mm set to F3.5, for instance, when I turn the focus ring continuously, magnifier would come and go like crazy. None of the stops above 4 have this issue for all three lenses. Lenses are full functional otherwise and I really like the images produced. But this glitch is driving me a bit insane I am thinking about returning them...

I have a 50mm GM which has an physical aperture ring, it doesn't have this issue at all.

My Alpha is on the 1.1 firmware, and I emailed Zeiss customer service but they say they can't reproduce with the same setup. To me it feels as if the aperture info transmitted to the body is not properly recognized, or the body thinks the lenses are in between stops... and it feels like a software problem. I am gonna try the lenses on my friend's A7R3 tomorrow, but I don't have another A1 to test.

I wonder if this issue is seen by others, and should I just live with it, since for each lens there is only 1-2 stops that show this glitch...

Sep 14, 2021 at 02:08 PM
j4nu
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Focus magnifier issue with Loxia on A1

Well, not sure if it helps, but I have the same issue (albeit to a small degree) with my 2 CVs now on A1 and previously on A7III.
I don't know if it's related to aperture but you might be right (I thought it's the camera/lens position that can slightly affect how well the lens is mounted on to the camera).
I always thought this can be caused by dirty contact pins or the lens chip handling communication (EXIF, aperture, focus distance, etc.) but never got to investigate this in detail as it happens relatively rarely in my case.
I'll try the faster than F4 range to see if I can reproduce it reliably then...

Sep 14, 2021 at 02:23 PM
Flavourdynamic
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Focus magnifier issue with Loxia on A1

A data point: I use focus magnification (bound to a button) on my A7III with dumb-adapted vintage glass and native Sony glass with and without aperture rings, and don't think this has ever happened to me.

Sep 14, 2021 at 03:52 PM
j4nu
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Focus magnifier issue with Loxia on A1

Flavourdynamic wrote:
A data point: I use focus magnification (bound to a button) on my A7III with dumb-adapted vintage glass and native Sony glass with and without aperture rings, and don't think this has ever happened to me.

It can't happen with a dumb adapter (or a non-exif/chip lens) as it's the data flowing through the pins that cause the camera to exit the magnified view (that's my observation at least).

Sep 14, 2021 at 04:03 PM
ocean2059
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Focus magnifier issue with Loxia on A1

I just tried my Loxia 21 and CV-APO 50 on my A7r/3. Both lenses work properly for focus magnification and stay magnified until I trigger the shutter.

Sep 14, 2021 at 04:15 PM
j4nu
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Focus magnifier issue with Loxia on A1

I've played around a bit with my CV35 and CV65, but I can't get it to trigger reliably.
I think it varies from copy to copy and what actually is happening is that focus ring movements cause micro movements of the aperture ring (or in some other way affect aperture) which cause the camera to exit the magnified view...

Sep 15, 2021 at 04:32 AM
IndyFab
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Focus magnifier issue with Loxia on A1

Works as it's suppose to using Loxia glass on my A7rIII, but a work around would be to set one of your # 1,2,3 to magnify. I have that set up for my legacy glass.

Sep 15, 2021 at 06:06 AM
degner

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Focus magnifier issue with Loxia on A1

I'm having the same problem with Loxia lenses on an FX3. I think it is also something with the aperture signal interrupting the focus.

Did you find any solution?

Oct 01, 2022 at 06:34 PM
skid00skid00
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Focus magnifier issue with Loxia on A1

Can you set up one of the A1's buttons to toggle between AF and MF, and see if that convinces the A1 that is in MF mode? (I have my 200-600 lens's buttons set to toggle AF/MF, FYI).

Oct 02, 2022 at 08:10 PM
brafman
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Focus magnifier issue with Loxia on A1

I have seen at least one very long thread (either here or on dpreview) discussing this problem at length. Loxias that work on the A7R3 for example that exhibit this problem on the A1 is not uncommon.

Oct 02, 2022 at 08:43 PM
lattesweden
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Focus magnifier issue with Loxia on A1

degner wrote:
I'm having the same problem with Loxia lenses on an FX3. I think it is also something with the aperture signal interrupting the focus.

This is worrying for the coming A7RV since we have had several reports about the A1 having this problem but if the FX3 is also affected, there could potentially be other newer generation bodys with the same problem built in.

Oct 03, 2022 at 05:09 AM
degner

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Focus magnifier issue with Loxia on A1

Yeah, I also tried my 3 Loxia lenses on the A7r III and couldn’t replicate the problem.

Oct 03, 2022 at 07:56 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Focus magnifier issue with Loxia on A1

This has come up before and as noted a long thread about it. I really always used on all my Sony cameras was a function button to activate focus magnifier . Never used the auto feature. For me it was always me in control of such features. As much as I liked the Loxia lenses and really had every one of them at some point. I was always bothered by its focusing ring and aperture ring setup on every one of them I turned more towards Voightlander lenses. My issue was the aperture ring should have been bigger in diameter than the focusing ring and I do like the aperture ring out front to get to easier. Preference stuff of course but there best was the 25/85 and they are stellar IQ wise.

Oct 03, 2022 at 08:06 AM
GHarris
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Focus magnifier issue with Loxia on A1

Here's the old thread on this topic, for reference.

"Sony A1 and Zeiss Loxia Malfunctions"

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1734815/0

As someone says in the recent last post on the topic, it would be good to be able to just turn off this effect of the focus magnifier getting automatically twiddled with by aperture changes.

Oct 03, 2022 at 09:31 AM
degner

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Focus magnifier issue with Loxia on A1

Here's the letter I sent to Zeiss and Sony. Let's see if there is any response:

Zeiss Loxia lenses are designed to work with Sony FE cameras. And they did work well, but more recent Sony cameras seem to have introduced or are responding to a bug that makes it impossible to use the Focus Magnifier feature.

On my Sony FX3, when I attach one of my 3 Loxia lenses, the camera works as expected until I press the record button. While recording, if I activate Focus Magnifier, the view will punch in for a fraction of a second, then return to the normal unzoomed screen. This makes it impossible to check focus while recording a video.

One clue to what is happening is that the aperture indicator on the bottom of the camera screen turns from white to orange as if the aperture is changing, and that causes the focus magnification to cancel.

Here are some more clues to help narrow down the issue.

This occurs on my FX3, but not my Sony A7r III.

It occurs with all 3 of my Loxia lenses, 21, 35, 50. So they are the older Loxia models.

Many other people have experienced the same problem:
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/66063442

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1734815/0

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1718910/0?year=current#lastmessage

I'm not blaming Sony or Zeiss for this problem; it is probably a combination of design choices. I hope a fix can be found, or else I won't be able to use the FX3 or Loxia lenses again.

Edited on Oct 04, 2022 at 06:35 AM · View previous versions

Oct 03, 2022 at 01:33 PM
ChrisMak
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Focus magnifier issue with Loxia on A1

degner wrote:
Here's the letter I sent to Zeiss and Loxia. Let's see if there is any response:

Zeiss Loxia lenses are designed to work with Sony FE cameras. And they did work well, but more recent Sony cameras seem to have introduced or are responding to a bug that makes it impossible to use the Focus Magnifier feature.

On my Sony FX3, when I attach one of my 3 Loxia lenses, the camera works as expected until I press the record button. While recording, if I activate Focus Magnifier, the view will punch in for a fraction of a second, then return to
...Show more

Do keep us updated on Zeiss' respons, although I have to say that I sent a similar mail to Zeiss and had to wait for six weeks to get a response that the problem is unknown to Zeiss...
A follow up email in which I referred to one of the threads on this forum was never answered.

Oct 03, 2022 at 03:44 PM
lattesweden
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Focus magnifier issue with Loxia on A1

ChrisMak wrote:
Do keep us updated on Zeiss' respons, although I have to say that I sent a similar mail to Zeiss and had to wait for six weeks to get a response that the problem is unknown to Zeiss...
A follow up email in which I referred to one of the threads on this forum was never answered.

A copy to Cosina might help for two reasons:
1. If my memory hasn't hallucinated this, there have been reports also for Voigtländer lenses (that Cosina makes).
2. From what we know (by cleaver guesswork), the Loxia lenses seems to be manufactured by Cosina for Zeiss.

Oct 03, 2022 at 04:56 PM
degner

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Focus magnifier issue with Loxia on A1

I messaged Zeiss about this issue and received a response:

Dear David,
The issue is addressed and our developer team and supplier are currently working on a solution. We will start the testings when lenses with new firmware implemented are available.
Our website is always the best source for latest information because now it is hard to say when a solution will be ready for the market.
Thanks again for your request.
Mit freundlichen Grüßen - With best regards

Oct 18, 2022 at 08:28 PM
DaveFP
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Focus magnifier issue with Loxia on A1

Make sure that "focus magnifier with AF" is disabled.

Oct 18, 2022 at 08:56 PM
j4nu
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Focus magnifier issue with Loxia on A1

degner wrote:
I messaged Zeiss about this issue and received a response:

Dear David,
The issue is addressed and our developer team and supplier are currently working on a solution. We will start the testings when lenses with new firmware implemented are available.
Our website is always the best source for latest information because now it is hard to say when a solution will be ready for the market.
Thanks again for your request.
Mit freundlichen Grüßen - With best regards

Wow, finally that's an answer that gives hope .

DaveFP wrote:
Make sure that "focus magnifier with AF" is disabled.

I actually use that option as it allows you to exit magnification just by pressing the shutter button. I also don't see how it could help...

Oct 19, 2022 at 12:23 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.