New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

3 New Portraits

Evan Baines
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 3 New Portraits

Congratulations to Evan Baines for winning Feature Thread of the Week with 3 votes - View Previous Winners

Continuing my ongoing series. Your thoughts and comments are always welcome.

Sep 05, 2021 at 07:14 PM
ottokbre

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 3 New Portraits

I think you have mastered lighting the beret!

Sep 05, 2021 at 07:22 PM
Evan Baines
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 3 New Portraits

Thanks!!

ottokbre wrote:
I think you have mastered lighting the beret!

Sep 05, 2021 at 07:33 PM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 3 New Portraits

Heh Brother!
Hope all is well with you and family!
Just great compositions Evan! Everything just so well done! They become alive in your hands!

The Captain is VERY pleasing!!!!! A beautiful warrior!...In a most delicate striking manor!
Just exceptional photography!
DOL Brother!
Dan

Edited on Sep 06, 2021 at 11:56 AM · View previous versions

Sep 06, 2021 at 08:48 AM
Doc25
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 3 New Portraits

Great looking photos, well presented.

Sep 06, 2021 at 10:13 AM
r1200gs

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 3 New Portraits

Very well done, I wish I had your talent.

Sep 06, 2021 at 04:10 PM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 3 New Portraits

These are wonderful. The last gentleman looks like Sly Stallone.

Sep 06, 2021 at 04:47 PM
Evan Baines
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 3 New Portraits

Thanks all!!!!

Sep 06, 2021 at 05:08 PM
Jim Rickards
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 3 New Portraits

I really like your style of these military portraits we have been seeing over the years.

#1 - impressed with the nice facial expression. Shows some personality.

#3 First impression was that the face was too bright. Later, I warmed to it. Maybe just the difference from the previous face light levels.

Keep them coming!

Sep 07, 2021 at 06:37 AM
airfrogusmc
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 3 New Portraits

You did them all proud brother. Great set.

Sep 07, 2021 at 07:10 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 3 New Portraits

dmacmillan wrote:
These are wonderful. The last gentleman looks like Sly Stallone.

AGREE!!!!!!100%

Sep 07, 2021 at 08:51 AM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 3 New Portraits

As always, these are just wonderful portraits, Evan! Everything is right on the money, I may add.

Joshua

Sep 10, 2021 at 08:32 AM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 3 New Portraits

Hey Evan,

Love these as always.

A few comments. One, you did short lighting with the female, and broad lighting with the guys. Not sure if that's your style, to go with those directions on male vs female. Either way, they look great!

The thing that is most striking to me is the difference in how you posed the female captain vs the two men. You included her legs in her shot, with one leg crossed over the other. This, in my opinion, is a very flattering pose for her, and does a great job showing off her legs. She really looks amazing. I'll just say it. In this pose, she looks sexy in a very good way, and I didn't think it was possible for any soldier to look sexy fully outfitted in a Class A uniform. So kudos to you for that. I don't know if it was intentional, but it really worked for me.

I guess one more comment. The guy with the beret, is he related to Rambo, or do they just have that same tough-guy scowl going. :-)

Definitely got my vote!

Ron

Sep 10, 2021 at 02:10 PM
Evan Baines
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 3 New Portraits

friscoron wrote:
Hey Evan,

Love these as always.

A few comments. One, you did short lighting with the female, and broad lighting with the guys. Not sure if that's your style, to go with those directions on male vs female. Either way, they look great!

The short vs broad thing has a few factors. I will look at every subject with both, and ultimately its about what I like for a given subject. However, I tend to favor broad these days for a few reasons. First, I think it tends to be a but more “painterly” (even Rembrandt mostly painted his pattern in broad light). Second, given that I generally face subjects slightly to their right to show the personal awards, short lighting often fights with the swoop of the beret resulting in loss of catch-light and also reflects in silver awards and ribbons, blowing highlights. You can work around this stuff but its a pain. Also, while I want to show the awards, I want them more subdued to focus on the face. Turning the subject from the light mutes the awards a bit. I also find the downsides of broad light can be mitigated by flagging and/or burning the broad side cheek to narrow the bright area. In this case, I liked her with the short light and worked around the other issues.

friscoron wrote:
The thing that is most striking to me is the difference in how you posed the female captain vs the two men. You included her legs in her shot, with one leg crossed over the other. This, in my opinion, is a very flattering pose for her, and does a great job showing off her legs. She really looks amazing. I'll just say it. In this pose, she looks sexy in a very good way, and I didn't think it was possible for any soldier to look sexy fully outfitted in a Class A uniform. So kudos to you for
...Show more

I think photographing female service members is a wonderful challenge balancing femininity and strength/leadership/heroism etc… its always a delicate balance as many of the things we do to make someone look strong/heroic such as shooting upward are directly opposite the way we usually work to flatter female subjects. For these portraits, I want my female subjects to like how they look and feel that the shot respects their service and achievements. So decisions like including the legs are a deliberate part of that balancing act. Some portraits veer more to one side or the other.

friscoron wrote:
I guess one more comment. The guy with the beret, is he related to Rambo, or do they just have that same tough-guy scowl going. :-)

Definitely got my vote!

Ron

You don't seem to want to accept the fact that you're dealing with an expert in guerrilla warfare, with a man who's the best! With guns, with knives, with his bare hands! A man who's been trained to ignore pain! To ignore weather! To live off the land! To eat things that would make a billy goat puke!

Thanks Brother!

Sep 10, 2021 at 04:39 PM
dalite
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 3 New Portraits

friscoron wrote:
Hey Evan,

Love these as always.

The thing that is most striking to me is the difference in how you posed the female captain vs the two men. You included her legs in her shot, with one leg crossed over the other. This, in my opinion, is a very flattering pose for her, and does a great job showing off her legs. She really looks amazing.
...Show more
________
+1. I might also add that the dark tone of her uniform is nicely separated from the (also dark tone) background.

Sep 10, 2021 at 10:32 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 3 New Portraits

Love it, Evan! I really appreciate that you consider different lighting schemes for each of your portraits, and decide what works best uniquely for them.

Love what you had to say about Rambo! (or maybe you were talking about the guy in the picture!)

Sep 11, 2021 at 10:10 AM
cputeq
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 3 New Portraits

friscoron wrote:
and I didn't think it was possible for any soldier to look sexy fully outfitted in a Class A uniform.
Ron

You haven't been looking at the right soldiers then :P

To the OP: great work. Not sure if you textured/sharpened the men's faces (vs smoothing) but if you DID, it's noticeable in pic 2. If you DIDN'T (above and beyond normal routines), then damn that's a sharp lens

I want to yell at the 3rd guy to get a damned haircut - hair touching ears. Then again, I haven't kept up with ARs in a long time and his facial expression almost forgives the sin

Excellent work on all three.

Sep 18, 2021 at 06:23 PM
Charles Loy
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 3 New Portraits

Congrats! Super series

Sep 20, 2021 at 05:06 PM
rntbot
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 3 New Portraits